Topping A90
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #676 of 1,442
Enjoying this combo. Mainly use IEMs and HD 6XX. Have no issues with my unit in contrast to what several people have reported. Apologies for the dust, my neighbor is doing some renovation.

9236E101-A90F-42AD-87E5-922053C7A463.jpeg
That's a TOP stack :) NoICE!

I'm really enjoying the HD820 with the Topping A90 Head.Amp... Prefer it to the Master 9 that's built-into my NOS11... It's very close, but feels like that A90 edges over it in terms of speed for me.

20200821_210313.jpg

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #677 of 1,442
Does anyone know if xlr and rca on the back are outputting the signal simultaneously? Currently I have active monitors connected via xlr and rca go to a sub-woofer from my DAC, but I am looking to make changes in the setup while still keeping this combo working.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #678 of 1,442
burn-in the tract...
power filter: ht800
player: raspberry pi3 b+ with moode
usb: furutech gt2
dac: topping d90 (with cheap copper power cable from aliexpress)
xlr: diy ortofon 8nx + neutrik + solder tchernov
amp: topping a90 (with other cheap copper power cable from aliexpress)
adapter: ddhifi dj44a
hp cable: haldane balanced 2.5mm (8*0.65mm 7*0.1mm 7n occ single crystal copper plated silver, clear teflon sleeve insulator material Litz geometry braid)
hp: jvc ha-sw01
20200823_163414.jpg

20200823_163359.jpg

20200823_163332.jpg

20200823_163445.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #679 of 1,442
burn-in the tract...
power filter: ht800
player: raspberry pi3 b+ with moode
usb: furutech gt2
dac: topping d90 (with cheap copper power cable from aliexpress)
xlr: diy ortofon 8nx + neutrik + solder tchernov
amp: topping a90 (with other cheap copper power cable from aliexpress)
adapter: ddhifi dj44a
hp cable: haldane balanced 2.5mm (8*0.65mm 7*0.1mm 7n occ single crystal copper plated silver, clear teflon sleeve insulator material Litz geometry braid)
hp: jvc ha-sw01

This looks really nice! I would like to buy some of those power cables. What should I look for to find them on aliexpress?Edit: I found them. Thanks!
Also am interested in building a Pi to be used as a digital transport, but don't really know where to start. Any suggestions or links to information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #680 of 1,442
This looks really nice! I would like to buy some of those power cables. What should I look for to find them on aliexpress?Edit: I found them. Thanks!
Also am interested in building a Pi to be used as a digital transport, but don't really know where to start. Any suggestions or links to information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I bought here.
When I plugged in the D90 with this, the sound was more lush, stringy, a little faint the detailed :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32984706994.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2ddd4c4dYAMxT1
When I plugged it in the D90, the sound was drier, more detailed:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000314174639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2ddd4c4dYAMxT1
raspberry:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979985648.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfRZniZ

What exactly are you interested in? I will be happy to share my experience.
Maybe we should discuss this in private messages, so as not to load this branch with other topics?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #681 of 1,442
I just got myself an A90 recently to team up with my Hugo 2 and Arya. In fact, I would go out on a limb here and say that the A90 sounds very very similar to the Eddie Current Black Widow v1 (which I'd since sold because of limited desk space). Yes, my avatar actually is a picture of the BW internals.

I hear the A90 as clean, authoritative, meaty, with a tinge of warmth without losing much transparency, just like how the BW sounded in my memory.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #682 of 1,442
I just got myself an A90 recently to team up with my Hugo 2 and Arya. In fact, I would go out on a limb here and say that the A90 sounds very very similar to the Eddie Current Black Widow v1 (which I'd since sold because of limited desk space). Yes, my avatar actually is a picture of the BW internals.

I hear the A90 as clean, authoritative, meaty, with a tinge of warmth without losing much transparency, just like how the BW sounded in my memory.
Hi, I have a Hugo 2 with a pair of meze emperians and have been unsure what difference the A90 would make. How would you describe the difference ?

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #683 of 1,442
Hi, I have a Hugo 2 with a pair of meze emperians and have been unsure what difference the A90 would make. How would you describe the difference ?
The Hugo 2 will drive your Empyrean with absolute ease and performance. I don't think an additional amp is necessary for this case, unless you are also using other hard to drive cans.

I would say the Hugo 2 by itself is pretty on the brim of running out of steam driving the Arya when listening at moderately loud volumes. In this moderately loud volume scenario(Hugo 2's volume indicator at white-ish purple ; somewhere around 90% I guess?), I find that tracks tend to get slightly flatter and congested.

With the A90 in between Arya and Hugo 2, the sound opens up with plenty of room for even more intensity without sounding congested. It all just sings more effortlessly with A90 powering the Arya.

Just sharing my thoughts on what I hear. I hope this helps. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #684 of 1,442
Just a question to make sure I am understanding the specs correctly. Am I able to run singled ended in and balanced out to my headphones and get the benefits of balanced? I read that on the specs page. I didn't know that was possible.. just wanted to double check since maybe I was misunderstanding it.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #685 of 1,442
Just a question to make sure I am understanding the specs correctly. Am I able to run singled ended in and balanced out to my headphones and get the benefits of balanced? I read that on the specs page. I didn't know that was possible.. just wanted to double check since maybe I was misunderstanding it.
Yes, it can do:
XLR in-SE out
SE in-XLR/4.4mm out

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #686 of 1,442
Hi guys!!!!!

I have A90/D90 and I LOVE THEMM WITH MY hifiman arya. But I have problem when I put the A90 in high gain and 8 and above volume according to this picture
noise floor.PNG

it start to have these annoying electrical farts in some songs and music. is this problem from the amp or my headphone can't handle this volume?? mostly these farts happen in high notes like in this you tube video it become so crazy in the 2.05 it makes be confused also if my headphone has a defect or not, because in my simple knowledge planars can handle high volume very well and for me the 8 -9 volume is not bother me at all to be honest I enjoy it more in this volume but the farts ehhh. some people told me to decrease the high gain to M but nooo it is not good enough to me and the dynamics lacking. is there any soloution if the problem from the amp ? iam using xlr interconnectors and xlr cable with arya. some times these farts also come in movies and video games.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #687 of 1,442
Hi guys!!!!!

I have A90/D90 and I LOVE THEMM WITH MY hifiman arya. But I have problem when I put the A90 in high gain and 8 and above volume according to this picture noise floor.PNG
it start to have these annoying electrical farts in some songs and music. is this problem from the amp or my headphone can't handle this volume?? mostly these farts happen in high notes like in this you tube video it become so crazy in the 2.05 it makes be confused also if my headphone has a defect or not, because in my simple knowledge planars can handle high volume very well and for me the 8 -9 volume is not bother me at all to be honest I enjoy it more in this volume but the farts ehhh. some people told me to decrease the high gain to M but nooo it is not good enough to me and the dynamics lacking. is there any soloution if the problem from the amp ? iam using xlr interconnectors and xlr cable with arya. some times these farts also come in movies and video games.

I think These headphones cant handle that much power and they distort. Why would you need that much gain on such efficient headphones?

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #688 of 1,442
I think These headphones cant handle that much power and they distort. Why would you need that much gain on such efficient headphones?
to be honest I tried it in less gains but the sound is not engaging like If I put in high gain and I get confused because some arya owners said they can't handle the sound of it in that gain it is so loud but for me it is so normal and not hearting me at all so is there something wrong with me or there is problem with my setup and it is so noticeable when lower the gain from high gain and volume from 7 it loses some dynamics and the engaging beautiful feeling for me personally. and the thing which made me confused that I can put the volume at max in high gain and not hearting me like i need to decrease it or my ears gonna bleed. it is just i will be fatigued faster. from my simple search before buying this amp I thought I will not handle the volume above the 6 but maybe I miss understand something.

shoould I change some sittings from the dac? to fix this? because I didn't play that much in the dac side

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #689 of 1,442
to be honest I tried it in less gains but the sound is not engaging like If I put in high gain and I get confused because some arya owners said they can't handle the sound of it in that gain it is so loud but for me it is so normal and not hearting me at all so is there something wrong with me or there is problem with my setup and it is so noticeable when lower the gain from high gain and volume from 7 it loses some dynamics and the engaging beautiful feeling for me personally. and the thing which made me confused that I can put the volume at max in high gain and not hearting me like i need to decrease it or my ears gonna bleed. it is just i will be fatigued faster. from my simple search before buying this amp I thought I will not handle the volume above the 6 but maybe I miss understand something.

shoould I change some sittings from the dac? to fix this? because I didn't play that much in the dac side
That's a lot of power on the Arya... What's your source? Is it running in exclusive mode? What's the volume on the source at?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #690 of 1,442
That's a lot of power on the Arya... What's your source? Is it running in exclusive mode? What's the volume on the source at?
[/QUOTE

iam using it with my pc and the volume 100% in it.

iam really scared now is this power will damage my headphone?

what is exclusive mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back