Topping A90
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #151 of 1,442
Nice review!

What amp or amps do you like better than the A90 and why?

Thanks
Thanks, I am using the Icon Audio Hp8 mk2 signature edition and I also recap the output capacitors to mundorf silver gold 0,3uf which is far better than the Jensen of the signature edition. I used it with Psvane 12ax7 T series mk2 and Shuguang Treasure cv181 and Shuguang 6sn7 globe edition to change the flavors.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #152 of 1,442
Alright, just received my replacement A90 from APOS. Big shout out to Apos once again for a super fast shipping.

Good news first. The new unit definitely emits less noise on RCA interconnect. On low gain with sensitive IEM, the noise was still there slightly, but no where as bad as before. I could probably ignore it if I had to on normal volume. On high gain, it is still very much apparent and non usable. No issues on high impedance HPs. On the other hand, XLR is very clean. No noticeable noise on all gain settings even with sensitive IEMs.

Man this thing is powerful. On balanced, with 300 ohms HP on medium gain, I'm comfortable on 10-11 o'clock on volume knob. SE has less power, but still kicks ass and sounds just as good.

Haven't tested the pre section yet. I'm afraid it'll fair poorly and just want to enjoy the music for now.

Sound wise, the A/D 90 stack may be touch bright on HPs with treble emphasis. But I think it pairs well with the mid focused cans like the HD650.
Overall, very pleased. Great value, especially considering its $500 asking price.

Gonna have to do some long-term testing, but for now I think i'll keep it in my stable.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #153 of 1,442
Alright, just received my replacement A90 from APOS. Big shout out to Apos once again for a super fast shipping.

Good news first. The new unit definitely emits less noise on RCA interconnect. On low gain with sensitive IEM, the noise was still there slightly, but no where as bad as before. I could probably ignore it if I had to on normal volume. On high gain, it is still very much apparent and non usable. No issues on high impedance HPs. On the other hand, XLR is very clean. No noticeable noise on all gain settings even with sensitive IEMs.

Man this thing is powerful. On balanced, with 300 ohms HP on medium gain, I'm comfortable on 10-11 o'clock on volume knob. SE has less power, but still kicks ass and sounds just as good.

Haven't tested the pre section yet. I'm afraid it'll fair poorly and just want to enjoy the music for now.

Sound wise, the A/D 90 stack may be touch bright on HPs with treble emphasis. But I think it pairs well with the mid focused cans like the HD650.
Overall, very pleased. Great value, especially considering its $500 asking price.

Gonna have to do some long-term testing, but for now I think i'll keep it in my stable.
I have used the A90 with my sennheiser ie400 pro (not the most sensitive iem) and achieve no hiss or hum. Maybe with sensitive IEM it is different story then. Basically, I think one of the drawbacks of D90 is it is a touch brighter and of course it is much better than D70 in terms of bass slam and detail retrieval, but that being said I did not choose the D90 because of that. I prefer colored sound cause it is more pleasant for long listening session and this is just my own preferences. My stack A90/D70 is just right for that reason, it is warm and pleasant without sacrifice details or anything. For now I am leaving the amp on for at least 3 days and will come back to it to see if the sounds will improve after some burn in time. So far I have nothing but positive things about A90.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #154 of 1,442
I have used the A90 with my sennheiser ie400 pro (not the most sensitive iem) and achieve no hiss or hum. Maybe with sensitive IEM it is different story then. Basically, I think one of the drawbacks of D90 is it is a touch brighter and of course it is much better than D70 in terms of bass slam and detail retrieval, but that being said I did not choose the D90 because of that. I prefer colored sound cause it is more pleasant for long listening session and this is just my own preferences. My stack A90/D70 is just right for that reason, it is warm and pleasant without sacrifice details or anything. For now I am leaving the amp on for at least 3 days and will come back to it to see if the sounds will improve after some burn in time. So far I have nothing but positive things about A90.

I think the hiss with IEM is not there with XLR input from the DAC. maybe.

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #155 of 1,442
Ok so I have spent quite sometime with the A90 and with some burnin time the sound start to opens up more and more. The bass slam is hard and extend really well on my Abyss V2 and surprisingly the Heddphone bass also benefits from A90 as well, the bass has tightened up more and slam a touch harder. One of the thing I have noticed that the soundstage of A90 tend to have wide soundstage, however, there is lack of tallness in soundstage and that makes A90 compared to my Icon lacks of holographic effects. But one of the thing that I really love is the mid range and specifically the vocal presentation of female vocal. I listened to various tracks like Stand by Me - by Florence and The Machine, Diana Ross - Theme Mahagony, Etta James - At last... the vocal has a lush characteristic but still quite neutral, the texture of vocal and the micro details are very very impressive here.
I really love the treble extension on A90, it definitely extend really well without piercing or harsh, there is no trouble of render S sound or T sound.I am very pleased with the A90 performance overall.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #156 of 1,442
Soundnews had upped its review.

Summary: He says its the same level as his Benchmark HPA4.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #158 of 1,442
I respect his opinion but strongly disagree to his bold claim of giant killer and also he said that tube amp does create artificial soundstage which I also think this is a matter of personal preferences.

in other words, this is above the SP200 then?
It is definitely much better than the Sp200 since I owned Drop 789 and Sp200 I can confirm that.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #159 of 1,442
I respect his opinion but strongly disagree to his bold claim of giant killer and also he said that tube amp does create artificial soundstage which I also think this is a matter of personal preferences.

It is definitely much better than the Sp200 since I owned Drop 789 and Sp200 I can confirm that.
I just got the 789.. After so much research.. do you think it's worth the $200 extra? I was thinking the 789 would have my final amp.. or atleast my amp for a while..

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #160 of 1,442
I just got the 789.. After so much research.. do you think it's worth the $200 extra? I was thinking the 789 would have my final amp.. or atleast my amp for a while..
I would say just keep the 789 and it will do you good for a long time. In the long term maybe you could find a used A90 here I think.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #161 of 1,442

I would keep it. 789 was already an incredibly well-made amp before the A90 came to the scene. Just because something 'newer' is on the market, doesn't make what you have obsolete. What sounded good yesterday will not sound bad all of a sudden just because there's something 'newer.' Just look past the marketing and hype (i know it's difficult), and enjoy the music with that incredible amp.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #162 of 1,442
Soundnews had upped its review.

This was pretty much the final straw for me. I'm ordering mine today. And aiming for an A90 + D90 stack in near future.

By the way, Flux Acoustic Labs have just announced their FA-12s headphone amp. Just saying... :xf_cool:

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #163 of 1,442
This was pretty much the final straw for me. I'm ordering mine today. And aiming for an A90 + D90 stack in near future.

By the way, Flux Acoustic Labs have just announced their FA-12s headphone amp. Just saying... :xf_cool:
Cmon' man, people are trying to escape the rabbit hole :sweat_smile:

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #164 of 1,442
Thank you all for your responses. I was telling my wife about the A90 and she shut me down pretty quickly too since I have been going on about the 789 before I got it. She said be happy with what I have and stop looking at the next best thing to come out. Haha. Only if money and time was not an issue. I'm going to stick with the 789 and think about upgrading maybe a few years from now. I think.. the A90 keeps calling me though. :tired_face:

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #165 of 1,442
Thank you all for your responses. I was telling my wife about the A90 and she shut me down pretty quickly too since I have been going on about the 789 before I got it. She said be happy with what I have and stop looking at the next best thing to come out. Haha. Only if money and time was not an issue. I'm going to stick with the 789 and think about upgrading maybe a few years from now. I think.. the A90 keeps calling me though. :tired_face:

I think your wife has a point. Headphone amps are like shoes - you buy one [pair], then use it until it falls apart. Also, when buying one, go as cheap as possible, because even the cheapest get the job done. :wink:

Seriously though, I set aside a small fun, just-for-me budget every month, for which I don't have to ask anyone for advice or approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back