Topping A90
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #136 of 1,442
If I was on a budget and using cans that are easy/medium difficulty to drive then I'd go with the 789.

Otherwise the A90 just improves over the 789 in every respect. - Build quality, measurements, power output, sound, (imo) pre-amp, etc.
Good to know.... :thinking:

I have no problem spending the extra $200 bucks if that means I'll be getting a better sounding amp, even if ony by a little bit.

Looks like I'll be ordering an A90 pretty soon here. :sunglasses:

@ 2 x 6k mw at 32 ohms, there's nothing you can't drive with the THX 789 that you can drive with the A90. It's plenty powerful. If you already have the THX 789 incoming, I wouldn't waste money on the A90. It already measures incredibly well. Save the $200 bucks, unless you want the D90/A90 stack for aesthetics.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #137 of 1,442
@ 2 x 6k mw at 32 ohms, there's nothing you can't drive with the THX 789 that you can drive with the A90. It's plenty powerful. If you already have the THX 789 incoming, I wouldn't waste money on the A90. It already measures incredibly well. Save the $200 bucks, unless you want the D90/A90 stack for aesthetics.

I don't mean any offense and I have no interest in getting into a big debate about this, but I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that measurements (other than FR) only tell you how good (or bad) a component measures, but they tell you jack schiit about how it actually sounds!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #138 of 1,442
I don't mean any offense and I have no interest in getting into a big debate about this, but I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that measurements only tell you how good (or bad) a component measures, but they tell you jack schiit about how it actually sounds!

None taken. And sure it's just one side of the story, but at least its methodology is consistent. You can't say that with what 'he said/she said' like most biased reviews and opinions on this forum are based on. I'm not a measurement freak myself, but I thought people that take interest in A90/D90/THX 789, X-Saber pro, etc are gravitating because of how well they measure.

Looking at your signature, I see that you're a Schiit fan :L3000:. I own a pair of Schiit stack as well. But not too fond of their higher end products.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #139 of 1,442
Either way I'd say that both amps are pretty awesome amps.

We are in a golden age of budget equipment!

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #140 of 1,442
I can vouch for a clean signal. I'm using 6" RCA cables from Qutest to the A90 - no issues.

If you're bringing in noise from USB and then connecting those RCA to A90, you will likely bring in some noise depending on that chain. The Qutest has galvanically isolated USB, so there are no issues for me. Also, using the shortest possible, well shielded RCA cables is the best option for this according to the A90 designer.

hello, i see you also have the qutest

don't mind sharing your experience w such a pairing compared to say the SP200?

i am contemplating between the A90, SP200 and RupertNeve RNHP

much appreciated!

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #141 of 1,442
The A90 really sounds great on High Gain with the SendyAudio Aiva's, driven with the D90 MQA as a DAC (Pre disabled).

Thank you for sharing your impressions! I've actually been eyeing the A90 to pair with my SendyAudio Aivas as well (source will be the D70). So far I've driven it with the Atom Amp as well as my DX150 with Amp7. What's clear to me is that the Sendys can really scale up with a proper amp - care to share what other amps which you have tried the Sendys with?

Cheers,
Nick

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #142 of 1,442
Thank you for sharing your impressions! I've actually been eyeing the A90 to pair with my SendyAudio Aivas as well (source will be the D70). So far I've driven it with the Atom Amp as well as my DX150 with Amp7. What's clear to me is that the Sendys can really scale up with a proper amp - care to share what other amps which you have tried the Sendys with?

Cheers,
Nick
Both the SendyAiva and TinHifi P1 Planars really sound great on the A90. I broke-in both on a FiiO M15 and the extra power on the A90 really makes them sing.

Interestingly I can run the TinHifi P1 on the A90 L, M, H gain and get different POV's (listen of views?) - the sound stage grows, the bass is bigger, the highs are more - so that's what is interesting is I can run L gain under 12 oclock, M gain around 10 (clock face numeral, not 100%!), and H gain at 8-9-10 and they all play with different characteristics - besides being louder or quieter or more or less "full".

I also ran the Sendy Aiva's on BTR5 and BTR3k, 3.5mm SE on BTR3k wasn't adequate. 2.5mm balanced had enough power to enjoy on the BTR3k. On the BTR5 both 3.5mm and 2.5mm were great, of course the extra power on the 2.5mm was best.

There's a lot of air and detail anyway on Planars, but the A90 fills those areas up with detail - even old TV shows like Dr. Who really show the talents of the sound engineers from way back then, and an Indian Scifi I watched had a depth of audio that was really well done.

I am hearing things across all my IEM's and Headphones that weren't there before - the characteristics of all of my headphones have changed for the better through the A90.

Today I was enjoying the normally Blon BL-05 - and that's new for me too, the Blon-05 hasn't been my best listen and now it's enjoyable - more interesting at least.

My SendyAiva's need a little TLC - new pads on the sliders - they aren't holding and it's not comfortable to keep adjusting them on my head right now. I got the pads in the mail and need to replace them with the thicker pads used now in production. I'll spend more time on that this weekend and report back with more hours on them.

That is until the Dunu DK2001's arrive - followed by the KZ AS16's - shoot me, I'm a KZ fan.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend trying the A90 with your Sendy Aiva's - and other hard to drive headphones.

I was already eyeing the DT880 Premium / DT990 - waiting till I had an ampt to drive 600 ohm headphones, then there seems to be a recently resurgence of interest in them. I've heard the A90 has enough power, but if you are an exuberant listener - like myself - you might hit 75% on H Gain...nothing's perfect I guess, but the A90 is close.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #144 of 1,442
Thank you so much for the detailed post! I might just take the plunge then :)
Cool, please be sure and get some nice XLR (audio, not data) cables for your A90 to be sure you have a low noise connection to your source.

If you get the D90 get a nice shielded data only cable... and just to be sure also try to find a power strip / conditioner with EMI / RFI shielding.

My APC C25B "Beast" of a power filter / strip arrived today and overshadows the temporary Rocketfish 8 port 47dB filter. The APC metal construction and large area for the power filtering hardware really is impressive, it's quite heavy too, I won't want to kick it in the dark that's for sure. I hope it works as good as it looks. It came with a QC test printout of PASSED tests, from 2014!

APC C25B AV C Type 10 Outlet Power Saving Power Filter, 120V, Black
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...-Outlet-Power-Saving-Power-Filter-120V/P-C25B

Rocketfish™ - 8-Outlet/2-USB Surge Protector Strip - Black
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocket...protector-strip-black/4689072.p?skuId=4689072

I didn't want to spend $250-$500 on a power conditioner - our power is stable without brown out's so I don't think I need to.

With the XLR's and the 47dB power filter on the cheap Rocketfish there is absolutely no noise coming out of the D90 => A90.

IDK how I am going to tell if the APC C25B is "better" or not, but now I've got 26 - 2 = 24 "free" filtered sockets between it and the 2 "spare" 8 outlet Rocketfish strips.

Please come back and let us know how you "love" your A90. :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #145 of 1,442
Looking at your signature, I see that you're a Schiit fan :L3000:. I own a pair of Schiit stack as well. But not too fond of their higher end products.
Yeah. I've owned most of their entry-level and midrange amps and DAC's over the years, and I've really liked most of them. But the Jotunheim is just too harsh and sterile sounding for me.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #146 of 1,442

much appreciated!
Qutest and A90 pairing was great. I have never tried the SP200, so can't comment on it.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #147 of 1,442

much appreciated!
I can say the A90 is at a different level compared to the RNHP. Do note that the SP200 is not actually balanced.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #149 of 1,442
Ok I received my A90 and I am not sugar coat anything here. First off, it is a great amp for 500usd and there is no doubt about it, it drives my Abyss Diana V2 and Heddphone with authority.

I used to own Drop 789 and SMSL sp200 and I would say that the A90 have mid range that far better than both of them, Drop 789 and Sp200 seems to make mid range more forward than it is and sometimes upper mid rang could be a bit shouty and I dont really like it. A90 is warmer but the details retrieval is definitely better than 789 and sp200.

Fortunate I received a unit with no issues as others mention here, I would say with cables connect to your amp keep it as short as you can, I made myself 2 cables one rca 7n occ cryo copper and balanced xlr 3 pin 7n upocc litz silver plated and have never run into any problems like ground loo before. So the question is, is it a giant killer? I would say no, A90 is not a giant killer imo. But it is an impressive amp for the money and I would say anyone would be happy with A90 and D90 combo unless you have specific need to go for higher end amp. A thumbs up for this A90 and definitely a worthy amp to invest in.

One of the thing that I have suspected before which is the preamp section, which is convenient and a nice add on but definitely inferior than the amp section (it is obvious, isnt it?). I use the preamp connect to the power amp and it sounds just ok and that being said Topping already plans on the P90 which is an exclusive preamp. I am happy with the A90 and I bought it out of curious but I am not sure if I am gonna keep it or not. For now I just enjoy its sound.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #150 of 1,442
Ok I received my A90 and I am not sugar coat anything here. First off, it is a great amp for 500usd and there is no doubt about it, it drives my Abyss Diana V2 and Heddphone with authority.

I used to own Drop 789 and SMSL sp200 and I would say that the A90 have mid range that far better than both of them, Drop 789 and Sp200 seems to make mid range more forward than it is and sometimes upper mid rang could be a bit shouty and I dont really like it. A90 is warmer but the details retrieval is definitely better than 789 and sp200.

Fortunate I received a unit with no issues as others mention here, I would say with cables connect to your amp keep it as short as you can, I made myself 2 cables one rca 7n occ cryo copper and balanced xlr 3 pin 7n upocc litz silver plated and have never run into any problems like ground loo before. So the question is, is it a giant killer? I would say no, A90 is not a giant killer imo. But it is an impressive amp for the money and I would say anyone would be happy with A90 and D90 combo unless you have specific need to go for higher end amp. A thumbs up for this A90 and definitely a worthy amp to invest in.

One of the thing that I have suspected before which is the preamp section, which is convenient and a nice add on but definitely inferior than the amp section (it is obvious, isnt it?). I use the preamp connect to the power amp and it sounds just ok and that being said Topping already plans on the P90 which is an exclusive preamp. I am happy with the A90 and I bought it out of curious but I am not sure if I am gonna keep it or not. For now I just enjoy its sound.
Nice review!

What amp (or amps) do you like better than the A90 and why?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back