Topping A90
May 22, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #32 of 1,442
What's the point of owning three similar class devices instead of one higher class device that would cost same amount of money?
Three different listening stations - my home office, my wife’s home office where I have a small listening corner, and my bedroom :)

May 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #33 of 1,442
@Sayplastic You are right there is no concrete evidence right now to say if the preamp is any good. But let me tell you this, I own the topping D70 and later change to the D90, and I would love to try the topping A90. I really like Topping products, but their preamp is not good on the dac I have used the D70 and D90 to be exact. So based on my own experience they do not put much emphasis on the preamp function so for me it is just a ok preamp and not a very good dedicated preamp. Apparently, it is marketed as headphone amplifier and I will be very happy to get it as soon as I can. And again, I love to be proven wrong this time but until I tried it myself then I would assume that the preamp is just there and just ok preamp but not great.

May 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #35 of 1,442
I've ordered the Topping A90 and the new Topping D90 MQA model from Hifigo a couple of days ago. They hope to ship them out this coming week, or the next.

Has anyone here received their A90 or MQA updated D90?

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 1,442
I've ordered the Topping A90 and the new Topping D90 MQA model from Hifigo a couple of days ago. They hope to ship them out this coming week, or the next.

While I don’t think I would pay that much for a set up, I eagerly await your impressions of what definitely looks like an amazing pairing!

May 24, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #37 of 1,442
Some people pay $10K for an AMP and think it's well worth the money, although there aren't any special features that warrant such a price tag. Others have problems paying $500 for an AMP/preamp that measures objectively better than vast majority of AMPs at a much higher price bracket. Ah the funny world we live in...... or should I say personal bias/preference at its best. On that note, logic escapes me on why so many people pay so much attention to what others think, knowing the wide disparity/gap in perception of 'good sound' that exists in this hobby. People, take everything you see/read on these forums with a giant 'grain of salt.' This forum, just like any other forums is 90% bias, BS, marketing, or straight up bad info not worth mentioning. Welcome to hi-fi.

May 25, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #38 of 1,442
I am excited about this amp but honestly, I think its price is a bit higher than the true value (always loved to be proven wrong), I am not pretty sure if they preamp function is any useful and lets put it this way if it is good preamp, I have doubt about it. Anyway, I think with times this product will get to round 420 to 450usd in a month. I love Topping, and I would love them to come up with something even crazier than this lets say their flagship, their design and what they think a flagship amp or dac should be.

It is fair price, for the most capable amp ever built. it can run IEM without hiss like no other and more powerful than THX with much higher current.

The pre-amp is bonus and there will be P90 dedicated preamp soon.

May 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #39 of 1,442
For those wondering about SE option. Soon-to-be released L30 will be 'unbalanced version of A90.

May 25, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #40 of 1,442
I preorder it and hope the topping A90 will come next week. Cannot wait to pair it with D90.

May 25, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 1,442

While I don’t think I would pay that much for a set up, I eagerly await your impressions of what definitely looks like an amazing pairing!
It is fair price, for the most capable amp ever built. it can run IEM without hiss like no other and more powerful than THX with much higher current.
I've been waiting for the Topping A90 and the new Topping D90 MQA model. It's not inexpensive, but certainly not mind-bogglingly so as many high end solutions. I'm hoping they both ship this coming week, or next. :)
The XLR cables offered by Hifigo only had a 1m as the shortest length, and I plan to run the A90 / D90 close together - I was hoping for 0.5m at the longest, and Hifigo called SKW and made it happen, the 0.5m is now on the option list for SKW XLR's on the Hifigo site:
https://hifigo.com/products/skw-hif...ixer-amplifiers-1-pair?variant=32043150934065

And, I asked for a higher quality USB-B to USB-A cable, and Hifigo added that as well:
https://hifigo.com/products/skw-usb-dac-cable-usb-a-b-2-0?variant=32030161338417

SKW was asked for USB-B to USB-C cables, and apparently only SKW only offer them in "high quantity" shipments... so hopefully that works out so I can get cables to plug into my Android phone / tablets.

I'm looking at another source for custom XLR cables, they'll make a 0.3m XLR:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a18-360.html

I'm looking for a short "jumper" XLR for placement of the D90 on top of the A90, or vis-versa.

Hifigo says shipping might be as early as "tomorrow", which is about now... 05:50am in China right now :)

Then 3-7 days shipping... not long now. :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #44 of 1,442
May 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #45 of 1,442

Users who are viewing this thread

Back