Topping A90
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,396 of 1,442
Has anyone compared the Topping A90 Pre-amp section to the Benchmark HPA4? I understand that the A90 is pretty much a $500 version of the HPA4 but not sure how the pre-amp section compares since I use my SS amp right now for my powered monitors as well. I'm also slightly concerned about how reliable the A90 is from a couple comments in this thread. How we lookin there?

Can't speak to the HPA4 pre, but the Topping A90 pre has been great with my Xduoo MT-604. I've never had any reliability issues with either the A90 or D90.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,397 of 1,442
I was researching SS amps and was really intrigued by the Benchmark HPA4, but some members and some reviews on-line stated the A90 is close contender for a fraction of the price. I hit the brakes pretty fast and decided to do some research.

One youtube reviewer commented that the only possible area where the HPA4 might have the A90 beat is soundstage, but it was unclear if that's a slight difference or a significant superiority. Clearly the price differential may overshadow this.

I have a Bottlehead Crack Speedball currently and I'm not liking the blurriness/lack of definition I'm hearing. Bass extension is great, but lack of precise separation and blending of higher frequency is not really to my liking. When I use the headphone out on my RME ADI-2 DAC, I can hear better separation and precision, especially with cymbals, strings, and other higher-end frequency sound. I guess maybe I'm not a tube amp guy after all (or maybe not this particular tube amp).

I'd be using my RME ADI-2 DAC and ZMF Verite Open and Auteur headphones. If I'm after really good bass extension (more than my ADI-2 headphone out) and clarity/separation, is the A90 what I'm after?
Main difference would be: Increased Soundstage on Benchmark... I think its mostly, because of Wolume control.
Singxer is great choice since it also have great soundstage.
I wooudnt buy Benchmark for headphones use only.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #1,398 of 1,442
There might be answer somewhere but: How does A90 differ from Singxer SA-1? Because when I googled Class-A amp which is brought up with SA-1 , Google also says most solid state amps are Class-1. Is there a different technology? I have A90 and im thinking of getting SA-1 Also.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,400 of 1,442
There might be answer somewhere but: How does A90 differ from Singxer SA-1? Because when I googled Class-A amp which is brought up with SA-1 , Google also says most solid state amps are Class-1. Is there a different technology? I have A90 and im thinking of getting SA-1 Also.
A lot of the difference lies with the sound differences. SA-1 has more depth (if that’s the best way to describe it) and provides more vibrant tonalities while A90 is much more neutral. Problem is that too much neutrality does hurt the overall experience at times. So take it as you will.

May 8, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #1,401 of 1,442
Yesterday I put into operation for the first time the combination of smartphone / Neutron player / USB and Topping E30 / A90 combination.
After about two hours, I had multiple interruptions in the sound (estimated the fraction of a second).
Neither the Neutron player, nor the DAC gave any indication of an interruption in the data stream.
Therefore I have the amplifier in the suspicion. But as I said, it is only a suspicion.

The error was not reproducible, but still worry me.
I have been listening with the Neutron player for many years, and have had many topping devices here, but I have not experienced anything like this....

Has anyone here experienced similar?

May 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,402 of 1,442
Hi . I have a problem with my A90 amp . There is a blinking red light and no sound is coming out from the headphone . I used it for only 4 months . Did any one had the same problem and know how to fix it .

May 9, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,404 of 1,442
Hi . I have a problem with my A90 amp . There is a blinking red light and no sound is coming out from the headphone . I used it for only 4 months . Did any one had the same problem and know how to fix it .
That is a faulty unit, has been reported a few times in other places. A replacement is needed and you should be under warranty considering that you mentioend 'used for only 4 months'.

May 9, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,405 of 1,442
Personally, I am done with Topping Amplifiers. I really like their DAC's (still use 3 and never a failure out of about seven I owned) but I have had problems with their amps. First was a DX3 Pro that went pop in one ear. Then my first A90 went pop in one ear. Then an A50s that went pop in one ear. The replacement A90 is working fine but for how long who knows. I haven't had a problem with blown channels on any other SS headphone amp I've owned and I've had many.

Thankfully Apos support was stellar and replaced the A90 and A50s (sold it off). I didn't bother with DX3 Pro as I didn't have time to deal with it when it went pop.

Call me unlucky i suppose ......

May 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,406 of 1,442
Personally, I am done with Topping Amplifiers. I really like their DAC's (still use 3 and never a failure out of about seven I owned) but I have had problems with their amps. First was a DX3 Pro that went pop in one ear. Then my first A90 went pop in one ear. Then an A50s that went pop in one ear. The replacement A90 is working fine but for how long who knows. I haven't had a problem with blown channels on any other SS headphone amp I've owned and I've had many.

Thankfully Apos support was stellar and replaced the A90 and A50s (sold it off). I didn't bother with DX3 Pro as I didn't have time to deal with it when it went pop.

Call me unlucky i suppose ......

I still have an A90 used for about two years now, almost every day and no issues yet. I also agree with you that they have some issues with their products, but on the other hand I also had issues with units manufactured in European countries by renown brands..

May 10, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #1,407 of 1,442
I just received a Denon AH-D7000 today in excellent condition. I plugged it into the TRS of A90 when I unboxed it. The sound ... really good. Then I proceeded to chop the TRS plug off and welded on a 4 pin XLR plug. Plugged it back into A90 and my jaw dropped. Holycowza, what a pairing .... absolutely stellar! Playing DSF on an Onkyo DP-X1, OTG USB into Topping D30 Pro, XLR into A90 ....... Very good stuffs .....

May 12, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #1,408 of 1,442
guys I have a question

I paired hifiman arya with A90/D90 and I find it to be harsh in many recordong and sibilant so a lot of people told me it is the amp and other people told me no it is the headphone so I bought sennhieser 6xx and a lot of people said it consider warm and highs turned off in it but I face the same problem with 6xx it is sibilant not forgiving in many vocal recordings iam really confused now I think it is really the amp dac thing.
**delete. sorry about that. accidental necro**

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,409 of 1,442
I've heard two really interesting things about the A90 and was hoping for some validation:

I understand it pairs well with the RME ADI2 DAC and has a bit more push in the low-end and nice clarity in the high frequencies, compared to the RME ADI2 DAC's headphone amp section. True?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,410 of 1,442
I've heard two really interesting things about the A90 and was hoping for some validation:

I understand it pairs well with the RME ADI2 DAC and has a bit more push in the low-end and nice clarity in the high frequencies, compared to the RME ADI2 DAC's headphone amp section. True?
Yes, several RME owners have posted about trying an A90 with their RME DAC, and they have all made good reports on how the A90 helped drive their headphones and IEM's.

What headphones / IEM's are you trying to drive with the RME headphone section?

Topping posts a lot of specs about the A90 headphone output power and low noise readings, and my ears were very happy listening to my A90 for well over a year.
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/472128.html

Now I use my Topping D90 MQA DAC with two "tube" headphone amps, the Hybrid Tube/SS Xduoo TA-20 and the OTL tube headphone amp Xduoo TA-26.
The Topping A90 is a great SS amp, but I really do enjoy the sound I hear with my Xduoo TA-20 and TA-26 tube amplifiers :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back