Topping A90 vs A90d
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aurimasma

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about sound quality differences Topping A90 vs A90d (Discreet)?
Also, maybe at the same time anyone has had a chance to compare Topping D90 vs D90se (or D90le)?

I own D90 (older model) and A90 (not Discreet, also older model). Is there any reason for me to upgrade?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 4
I've had both several times and have the original and another discrete coming tomorrow. The channel matching on the original is so good, the D version digital volume is debatable whether it's worth upgrading. There's a little more power, the he6se with a -6db preamp reduction to equalize on balanced is the only real challenge to it, so not a compelling difference.
They sound the same, I could never tell the difference in a blind test. Also the dot matrix display is kind of annoying, it looks like a detour road sign when lit up. It has 12v control to turn on multiple components that support it.
It's a wash for me, and if you have the original, not at all worth upgrading. The SINAD score is a little lower on the new one, but it's still inaudible so just a number.
The only amplifier I like the sound of better is the Liquid Platinum stack I have with stock tubes. At this level the difference between stuff is so small you could spend tons side grading in an endless loop.
I'd recommend focus on headphones at this point for an improvement. For the business I've had a chance to use 185-190 headphones and they vary a lot more than amps and dacs when you get up to an A90. Maybe have a specific sound in mind to have more fun.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I've had both several times and have the original and another discrete coming tomorrow. The channel matching on the original is so good, the D version digital volume is debatable whether it's worth upgrading. There's a little more power, the he6se with a -6db preamp reduction to equalize on balanced is the only real challenge to it, so not a compelling difference.
They sound the same, I could never tell the difference in a blind test. Also the dot matrix display is kind of annoying, it looks like a detour road sign when lit up. It has 12v control to turn on multiple components that support it.
It's a wash for me, and if you have the original, not at all worth upgrading. The SINAD score is a little lower on the new one, but it's still inaudible so just a number.
The only amplifier I like the sound of better is the Liquid Platinum stack I have with stock tubes. At this level the difference between stuff is so small you could spend tons side grading in an endless loop.
I'd recommend focus on headphones at this point for an improvement. For the business I've had a chance to use 185-190 headphones and they vary a lot more than amps and dacs when you get up to an A90. Maybe have a specific sound in mind to have more fun.
Thanks for the answer.
I guess I have wait for a couple more iterations to make upgrading worth while.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 4
I think the a90D is a pretty big improvement over the a90. A90 always sounded dry and very clinical to me, with pretty sharp highs and sucked out decay from a lot of string and piano instruments. a90d is for sure an improvement, it sounds more musical and more natural.
How ever, id personally get the Cayin iha6 over both of those any day :)
Topping makes nice looking gear, and they measure extremely well, which looks great on forums.... how ever, i always find that topping always sounds.... unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back