Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #511 of 807
The channel "Passion for Sound" published a review of the А90D and its comparison with the SA-1. Perhaps this will help someone with the choice of an amplifier.

Thank you for this, I enjoy his reviews, mostly for his accent and attitude. His views are unorthodox to say the least. The takeaway is that you should always audition for yourself, and keep the option to return the product if you don't like it, like I did with my A90D, bought from Amazon. I find that almost everything he said is opposite to what I hear and feel with A90D, specially with the sound stage depth. But that's good, you should always question yourself, and it helps me with my choice. I wonder why he choose Muse's Big Freeze as an example, it's quite an average recording technically imho, and I wouldn't give it as a vocals and synth benchmark. By sheer luck today I listened to a solo piano for an hour, which is a lot for me, I like piano less than much. I just couldn't stop listening and marvel how is it possible to discern such details like the percussion strokes and the humming of the pianist, and generally how it is even possible to hear a solo piano as a fully fledged stereo sound stage. So here you have it, the psychological aspect of listening to music.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #512 of 807
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here with experience can lend me some suggestion support. I am looking to upgrade my DAC/Amp from an all-in-one DX7S (Topping) to either a Bifrost (latest edition) with a Jotunheim 2 or a D90 + A90D Topping stack. If anyone here has had experience with both setups, can you please talk about how they differed and what/why you preferred one over the other?

I'm also open to trying a hybrid like Bifrost+A90D but now sure how well they would work/sound together in terms of synergy.

FWIW, I absolutely love my DX7S but it lacks power for things like a HE6SE or LCD-4 which is what has me looking for upgrades. Need something with more power for harder to drive headphones.

Also.. open to using my DX7S as a DAC and just buying an amp.. A90D or Jotunheim 2.. not sure if that would be more practical or if it would be better to buy the proper "partner DAC" to run with the respective counterpart amps. All thoughts are welcome!

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #513 of 807
Also.. open to using my DX7S as a DAC and just buying an amp
If you are happy with how your current rig sounds (except for power), this is a sensible way to go.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #514 of 807
I do like his reviews but I do see one not so obvious issue. He performed the DC mod on the Singxer and used that unit for the head to head comparison. Considering most people won’t mod their Sa-1 unit due to potentially causing damage to their equipment or voiding the warranty or just being unaware of the mod need itself the sound he speaks of regarding the Singxer maybe unrecognizable on a stock Sa-1. Not saying that will be definitively the case but it could cause some people to make a purchase decision without all the info.
IIRC, he mentioned in comments that he didnt mod the SA-1 for the comparison.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #515 of 807
IIRC, he mentioned in comments that he didnt mod the SA-1 for the comparison.
Good to hear because I didn't want to mod it and I just bought it. :) Seems to be a mix of reactions in forums to modding it. I think I'm going to trust Passion and go for the sweet sound of the SA-1 and hope for the best.

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #516 of 807
I have a Focal Clear and I also have Moondrop Variations on the way. As this amp doesn’t have a gain switch, how would I change that setting? I’m guessing I would low gain for the IEM and then mid for the Clear?

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #517 of 807
I have a Focal Clear and I also have Moondrop Variations on the way. As this amp doesn’t have a gain switch, how would I change that setting? I’m guessing I would low gain for the IEM and then mid for the Clear?
Actually the two gain levels are mid and high gain; no low gain here, as low gain usually implies a negative gain level. You can change the gain setting using the remote or the volume knob, the latter requiring a firmware update. For Focals high gain is not needed, as the mid gain gets loud enough.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #518 of 807
Actually the two gain levels are mid and high gain; no low gain here, as low gain usually implies a negative gain level. You can change the gain setting using the remote or the volume knob, the latter requiring a firmware update. For Focals high gain is not needed, as the mid gain gets loud enough.
Super helpful, thanks. Not that this should be of any concern to me, would these drive the Susvara, HE1000 v2, and Utopias?

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #519 of 807
Super helpful, thanks. Not that this should be of any concern to me, would these drive the Susvara, HE1000 v2, and Utopias?
My experience with the Hifiman HE6se v2 (83 dB/mW at 50 Ohms) was OK. No problem getting a high volme at high gain with SE connection to the D30 Pro DAC. The HE6se is famous for needing a lot of power, Hifiman recommends at least two watts.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #520 of 807
My experience with the Hifiman HE6se v2 (83 dB/mW at 50 Ohms) was OK. No problem getting a high volme at high gain with SE connection to the D30 Pro DAC. The HE6se is famous for needing a lot of power, Hifiman recommends at least two watts.
ok doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the amp in this case. are the HE1000 v2 easier to drive?

also are most people pairing this with the D90LE/SE? i am probably going to get the D90LE but that's pricier than the amp!

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #521 of 807
ok doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the amp in this case. are the HE1000 v2 easier to drive?
For me, this amp is perfectly suitable to drive the HE6se, but I’m not a fan of amp-HP synergy. And yes, the HE1000 v2 (90 dB/mW at 35 Ohms) is easier to drive than the HE6se v2.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #522 of 807
For me, this amp is perfectly suitable to drive the HE6se, but I’m not a fan of amp-HP synergy. And yes, the HE1000 v2 (90 dB/mW at 35 Ohms) is easier to drive than the HE6se v2.
what are your favourite amps for your hifiman?

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #523 of 807
what are your favourite amps for your hifiman?
i have two: Fiio K5 Pro and Topping A30 Pro. for Ananda, any of them. For HE6se v2 (while I had them), the latter, due to its extra power.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #524 of 807
Ordered one during the 11.11 sale, its a little backlog atm. I ordered on the 1st and its being produced in 2-3weeks, going to pair it with the new L70. I don't have funds right now or I would have gone with D90.
Going from the Questyle CMA400i, I want something more silent when using IEM's since the CMA400i has a slight noise when driving sensitive IEMs. And to get my Lokius between for some analog EQ. Looking forward to it, not used to such neutral setups.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #525 of 807
Ordered one during the 11.11 sale, its a little backlog atm. I ordered on the 1st and its being produced in 2-3weeks, going to pair it with the new L70. I don't have funds right now or I would have gone with D90.
Going from the Questyle CMA400i, I want something more silent when using IEM's since the CMA400i has a slight noise when driving sensitive IEMs. And to get my Lokius between for some analog EQ. Looking forward to it, not used to such neutral setups.
Where did you order from? I’m hoping Hifigo have them in stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back