Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 807
Toppings prices differ mainly due to the features the different amps/dacs have. They feel they can deliver a 100% dead neutral/this is what the pure signal sounds like experience with all their stuff. If pure numbers is what you're after, then I believe the Singxer SA-1 is still technically better. Granted while the a90 and SA-1 measure nearly exactly the same, a large number of people feel they sound different.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 807
I am really happy to buy any new amp including the A90 discrete, I can purchase it in a heartbeat without a sweat. But how much an upgrade from the original A90 that measures perfectly and even better than the A90 Discrete?a
The THX/IC vs Discrete divide - is a gulf, IMO. I owned/had the original A90 and the Monolith '887 side by side (I liked the '887 better - more linear and more open treble) and quickly sent them both back after comparing them to my resistor bypassed Emotiva A-100 and Schiit Magni 3+ (with HFM Arya v2's and Anandas). The discrete topology Emotiva - even the lowly Magni - had better spatial performance (ie: 3D, esp. depth) and more naturalness/liveliness compared to both the opamp based amps - plus they were both less expensive (Emo $150 used, Magni ~$120 after tax). I then bought a used Gustard H20 discrete Class A amp ($475) that outclassed all of them in tone/timbre, naturalness, 3 dimensionality, and punch/bass dynamics. Of course, they all measure in a straight line from 20hz to 20khz, and below and above that. The A90 Discrete may well be an improvement from the flat/shallow staged, slight midbass bloomed, closed-in trebled, and quite sterile sounding original A90....I'd try one myself if I was shopping for an amp.

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 807
Because they do sound the same. The same thing has been said by Topping's designer who designed all their latest amps. L30 sounds 100% the same as the A90 SE.
All those amps sound the same because they have the same topology and use the same parts (same IC based topologies, same or similar NFCA modules, same opamps). They all fail in spatial recreation compared to most discrete amps of the same prices or even of lower prices. Of course, IMO.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 807
All those amps sound the same because they have the same topology and use the same parts (same IC based topologies, same or similar NFCA modules, same opamps). They all fail in spatial recreation compared to most discrete amps of the same prices or even of lower prices. Of course, IMO.
There is 0 proof that Discrete designs have better soundstage.
Crosstalk and wolume control makes the difference when it comes to soundstage.
Lots of discrete amps i saw have more space between channels thus better crosstalk.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 807
Would be nice to see how this compares to other amps like the Jot 2 or the SingXer SA-1. I have not had a Topping amp in quite a long time. I think the last I had was a DX7 pro.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 807
There is 0 proof that Discrete designs have better soundstage.
Crosstalk and wolume control makes the difference when it comes to soundstage.
Lots of discrete amps i saw have more space between channels thus better crosstalk.
That's the view from a purely objectivist/measurements standpoint, but all things aren't accounted for in audio statistics. I made my previous statement via my own experiences listening to and doing face to face comparisons of different amps with different topologies: the original A90, Monolith '887, Emotiva A-100, Schiit Magni 3+, Schiit Magnius, and Gustard H20 with OEM and upgraded discrete opamps. I had them all at the same time - each discrete amp outperformed all of the IC based amps in naturalness, timbre, and spatial 3D recreation - especially depth of field. I know the difference and will always choose a discrete amp for my money - but you do you though....

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 807
IMG_5559 Medium.png

Just got the A90 Discrete and I have to say it's doing a stellar job with the Sennheiser HD6XX. I don't think I've heard them sound any better. Clears up the vocals really nicely with excellent bass. This is also super silent with my IEMs: IER-Z1R, U12T and the IE900. Nice looking unit too.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #23 of 807
Because they do sound the same. The same thing has been said by Topping's designer who designed all their latest amps. L30 sounds 100% the same as the A90 SE.
Not really. A30 Pro clearly has different sound compared to A90 with either Balance/SE output.

I don't think it's possible for a person to say they sound exactly the same in side by side comparison. A30 Pro is noticeably warmer, thicker, and narrower with punchier bass character. Yet, both amp measured really well. Hard for graph to tell the differences I guess.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #24 of 807
IMG_5559 Medium.png

Just got the A90 Discrete and I have to say it's doing a stellar job with the Sennheiser HD6XX. I don't think I've heard them sound any better. Clears up the vocals really nicely with excellent bass. This is also super silent with my IEMs: IER-Z1R, U12T and the IE900. Nice looking unit too.

Comparison with Ferrum stack would be much appreciated it :o2smile:

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 807
IMG_5559 Medium.png

I ordered mine in black :wink:

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 807
Comparison with Ferrum stack would be much appreciated it :o2smile:
Both are relatively new. I've had the Ferrum stack for less than a week, probably less than 10 hours on it, and the A90 Discrete is well under 2 hours. Off the bat they are both great. I see no major issues with the Topping despite its price point. Haven't even tested the balanced outputs, but single ended the Ferrum seems to have a slightly more organic nature to it. The A90 D simply gets out of the way and play the music in an uncolored manner. Both have excellent bass and extension. The A90 D probably has more air up top, and so far even both have excellent clarity with the Ferrum perhaps having the blacker background. These are early thoughts. My general sense is that you'd want to pair the A90 D with warm headphones and the Ferrum with bright headphones. This isn't to say one is bright and the other one dark though. They appear to be different takes on neutrality.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #27 of 807
Both are relatively new. I've had the Ferrum stack for less than a week, probably less than 10 hours on it, and the A90 Discrete is well under 2 hours. Off the bat they are both great. I see no major issues with the Topping despite its price point. Haven't even tested the balanced outputs, but single ended the Ferrum seems to have a slightly more organic nature to it. The A90 D simply gets out of the way and play the music in an uncolored manner. Both have excellent bass and extension. The A90 D probably has more air up top, and so far even both have excellent clarity with the Ferrum perhaps having the blacker background. These are early thoughts. My general sense is that you'd want to pair the A90 D with warm headphones and the Ferrum with bright headphones. This isn't to say one is bright and the other one dark though. They appear to be different takes on neutrality.
Thanks for the initial impression. I'm familiar with Ferrum stacks and A90, so I think I can imagine a bit sound of A90d based on your description.

Biggest question would be whether I need A90d to replace Singxer or not.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 807
Please keep the impressions coming as you gain more insights into both amp's SQ.

I'm very curious about the A90D. I owned the A90 for a little while and I wasn't that impressed with it's SQ for all the same reasons that many others have already stated about it (and most other IC-OpAmp based amps that are similar to it).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #29 of 807
IMG_5559 Medium.png

How's it compare with your Ferrum setup? Do they not belong in the same room?

Jun 30, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #30 of 807
I've read that the Ferrum stack takes a good while to gel and really open up. I'd hold out judgement on either until I put some time on them (a week or two at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back