Topping A70 Pro or other powerful amps with IEMs
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stzz

New Head-Fier
Has anyone used such a powerful amp with IEMs? Was thinking about getting the A70/D70 stack for both my headphones and IEMs, but lowkey worried about accidentally turning the knob and blowing my brains out with IEMs lol

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 5
I've just used a Topping A70Pro/D70Pro Octo with several IEMs and it's not a problem. In low gain mode even a very powerful amp isn't risky if you're aware of the volume wheel location when swapping them with headphones. The risk really is accidentally going into high gain with them loud already. I have an A30Pro with 3 positions and the low gain is perfect for IEM's, even at max volume you won't blow them (or you) up. The best amplifier is the Topping L30II which in the 50mv test makes it the most quiet amplifier at any price. I put one on a Topping E50 with optical and it was mind blowingly quiet with 10ohm IEMs..

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 5
Ah thank you for the insight really appreciate this. The 70 series has more power than I would ever need which I felt was kind of a waste but the new design and display made it super enticing. Going to check out the 30 series stacks and maybe even the new A50 III that just came out and get one of those. No reason to get the A70 really, not like I'm running Susvara or something haha

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 5
I always liked the A50 case milled out of aluminum, but waiting for ASR to measure it to see how performance really is. The A70Pro is just for always staying in low gain for most things, even with equalizing and a preamp reduction for best quality. If the Hifiman HE6SE isn't your white whale, then there's no need for it. Check audiosciencereview and the 50mv test is the one to check. The amplifiers that score 95+ are the top ones for sensitive IEMs. I just got in an SMSL C200 and it's really impressive for headphones and IEMs on optical (I have a desktop with a lot going on, for most people USB should be fine though). Even a Topping E50/L50 makes a wonderful stack for IEM's or headphones with lots of power, but also a whisper quiet noise floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back