Topping A70 Pro - impressions
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #106 of 201
Hello,

i also asked in the H16 thread but I could try it here, too. I can‘t decide between Aune S9c Pro and Smsl D6s + Gustard H16 or Topping A70Pro.

Aune: whole in one, better built quality, more musicality (?)
Smsl + Gustard / Topping: more power, more flexibility, USB-C

My questions are: Is it correct that Aune or Gustard offer more musicality which could be better for brighter Hifiman planars (Hek)?

What would be better with very expensive high end amps Like Phonotor XE or DHA V590^2?

Difficult. I think you can‘t get wrong with any of them.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #107 of 201
Anybody else A70 sometimes get stuck at the loading screen when using the front knob to turn on the unit? I have the unit for a week now and everything's working fine just sometimes it gets stuck at this loading screen and I have to use the power switch on the back to reset it and everything works again. Should I be worry about this and consider returning the unit?

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #108 of 201
Should I be worry about this and consider returning the unit?

No, you should not be worried. This is how you get to read firmware version. In other words, this is working as designed.

You just need to learn:
  • short press to switch on
  • long press to switch off
or use the remote :)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #109 of 201
Did a video review for it

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #110 of 201
Market is swamped with new amps and DACs releases and reviewers are raving each and every of them is endgame, best under 1k so on so forth. IMHO, A70 Pro is one good distortionless amp, with infused musicality as opposed to A90D, having better power, still it will not take all market share from other players on a market, now there is full class A amp from Aune S17 Pro everyone is praising myself didn't have a chance to listen to but I do believe it might be a nice product giving even more relaxed listening sessions but with less THD, crosstalk, power and cetera. Cant have all in one amp or dac, doesn't exist, but I strongly believe A70 Pro stays and another amp might over time accompany it to have few flavors of sound. It is a really good amp for money, drives my HD800S, LCD2 2021 closed back, DT1990 Pro like nothing, very good combo with D70 Pro Octo. Still both devices are very new, DAC less than 10h, amp <100h, so in week or two they will start to sing fully.
@Gymboy
What do you think of the EF400 driving the A70? or the D70 is better?

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #111 of 201
@ozz007 I had swapped EF400 for D70 Pro Octo, using A70 Pro as amp. D70 Pro Octo is definitely more detailed, quicker, subbass goes lower. At first while Topping DAC was new, sound wasnt as warm as Hifimans and little bit lifeless. Now A70/D70 are running for 3+days in a row, I have connected Dt1990 Pro over 6.35mm and LCD2 2021 over 4.4mm at once, when I yesterday while burning have put briefly LCD2 on my head I was amazed, sound became warmer, more engaging and metal on my planars sounded ridiculously good so I was standing in my room for 10 min trying to pick up jaw from a floor. Personally, I am very happy I've went with full A70/D70 stack, just make sure if you are gonna do a same to update last software on both devices, there were some issues before, so far I had none but some other members had.

Short word on A70 Pro, way better amp than one in EF400 which had upper mid ****ery and shoutiness.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #112 of 201
@ozz007 I had swapped EF400 for D70 Pro Octo, using A70 Pro as amp. D70 Pro Octo is definitely more detailed, quicker, subbass goes lower. At first while Topping DAC was new, sound wasnt as warm as Hifimans and little bit lifeless. Now A70/D70 are running for 3+days in a row, I have connected Dt1990 Pro over 6.35mm and LCD2 2021 over 4.4mm at once, when I yesterday while burning have put briefly LCD2 on my head I was amazed, sound became warmer, more engaging and metal on my planars sounded ridiculously good so I was standing in my room for 10 min trying to pick up jaw from a floor. Personally, I am very happy I've went with full A70/D70 stack, just make sure if you are gonna do a same to update last software on both devices, there were some issues before, so far I had none but some other members had.

Short word on A70 Pro, way better amp than one in EF400 which had upper mid ****ery and shoutiness.
Thank you, Sir. I think I will go the same route as you. :)

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #113 of 201
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #114 of 201
Frankly speaking, I am fine from day 1 :)

A70 Pro is working flawlessly and the fact that it remembers individual volume settings for each of the 3 headphone outputs is WOW :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #115 of 201
So after 100h+ of continuous burn in D70 Octo/A70 Pro, I have finally sat, swapped cables on HD800S to original 4.4mm pentacon, plugged it in and started with Frankie goes to Hollywood - Power of love. It is very hard to describe sound that hit me, in a moment I was at live concert, vocal was in front of me and scene was soo big and magnificent. Instruments clean but with weight to them, every tiny nuance was heard, actually some of them confused me as I didn't have them there on EF400. So details were spot on, but finally my Senn has weight down low, I can feel the drums, bass guitars exactly what I was looking for as I am aware this hp likes to be driven but has to have proper equipment to make it sing. This is the best I have heard them and very happy what I hear, my ear tells me these can now compete with 2-3k ones and probably beat them all in staging/holography. Fantastic stack.

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #116 of 201
A70 Pro & D70 Pro OCTO: 960 EUR with 2 years warranty (EU) :L3000:

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #117 of 201
So after 100h+ of continuous burn in D70 Octo/A70 Pro, I have finally sat, swapped cables on HD800S to original 4.4mm pentacon, plugged it in and started with Frankie goes to Hollywood - Power of love. It is very hard to describe sound that hit me, in a moment I was at live concert, vocal was in front of me and scene was soo big and magnificent. Instruments clean but with weight to them, every tiny nuance was heard, actually some of them confused me as I didn't have them there on EF400. So details were spot on, but finally my Senn has weight down low, I can feel the drums, bass guitars exactly what I was looking for as I am aware this hp likes to be driven but has to have proper equipment to make it sing. This is the best I have heard them and very happy what I hear, my ear tells me these can now compete with 2-3k ones and probably beat them all in staging/holography. Fantastic stack.
Apologies for being off topic. I'm not using this amp myself, this is more a comment on the improvement you've experienced with your HD800S I've recently got a class A amplifier that I'm feeding from my K9 Pro, which has improved the SQ in a similar in a similar fashion, to the point I'm no longer thinking about getting any other headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #119 of 201
Could there be clipping with a Smsl D6s (5 Vrms)?

I think i will try this combination for Hifiman headphones. If you want a sound which is a bit warmer then class a is a good alternative but if you want to know how your headphone sounds without coloration then Topping is the way to go.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #120 of 201
Hi,

I just received my A70 Pro and am trying to update the firmware but have been unable to have the A70 folder show up on my Windows laptop. I disconnected the power cable, waited a minute and then connected the A70 to the laptop using a USB c cable. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone able to give any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back