Top Workout IEM's - Sound Quality - Under $200? Superfi 5/E4/D-jays, AT CK7, or...?
Mar 6, 2007 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

stereophile

Head-Fier
Please list your favorite great SQ workout/gym friendly IEM's (or could be earbuds) for under $200?

Can these IEM's handle the gym environment?: Superfi 5's, E4, D-jays, Audio Technica ATH-CK7.

Please let me know if I should remove any of these from consideration becaue they're not gym-friendly.

I have some Vobe Vibes. I like them okay -- the word I would use for the Vibes is "workhorse." The construction looks strong; they feel like solid little nuts & bolts; compared to the 49 cent Bic pen construction of some of the IEM's out there. The sound quality is solid, though not stellar. The one thing I can say for them is they are solid it appears they would hold up for workout purposes (in fact their packaging shows dudes working out, hiking with them, etc...). I don't quite all that overweighted bass - though -- I do like bass, but I like to add it when I want.

Here's some things I'm looking for in an IEM or bud:
  1. Best Sound Quality possible, but also ruggedly built so I can don't have to worry to much about them. I'm willing to sacrifice a *little* SQ for solid construction.
  2. I would like to be able to used them at the gym or running; so something that doesn't have much microphonics, and stays in your ear fairly well.
  3. Isolation level? I'm flexlible on this -- Semi-isolation is okay. For reference - the isolation level of these Vodas seem about right for me for walking around town somewhat safely, etc.
  4. No amplifiers needed.
  5. Idiot-proof, relatively user friendly; easy to remove and insert when in a store, etc. (I don't mind a little hassle, but, not a lot please)
For reference:
I listen to trance, dj-remixes, rock, soul, electronica, some r&b.
Listening habits: I usually drop the bass end of my EQ a little below zero, and bump the mids & high ends up.

With the above criteria in mind, please give me ideas on what IEMs I should be looking at?

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can these IEM's handle the gym environment?: Superfi 5's, E4, D-jays, Audio Technica ATH-CK7.

Please let me know if I should remove any of these from consideration becaue they're not gym-friendly.

What are your favorite workout-ready IEM's (or could be earbuds) for under $200?

I have some Voda Vibes. I like them okay -- the word I would use for the Vibes is "workhorse." The construction looks strong; they feel like solid little nuts & bolts; compared to the 49 cent Bic pen construction of some of the IEM's out there. The sound quality is solid, though not stellar. The one thing I can say for them is they are solid it appears they would hold up for workout purposes (in fact their packaging shows dudes working out, hiking with them, etc...). I don't quite all that overweighted bass - though -- I do like bass, but I like to add it when I want.

Here's some things I'm looking for in an IEM or bud:
  1. Best Sound Quality possible, but also ruggedly built so I can don't have to worry to much about them. I'm willing to sacrifice a *little* SQ for solid construction.
  2. I would like to be able to used them at the gym or running; so something that doesn't have much microphonics, and stays in your ear fairly well.
  3. Isolation level? I'm flexlible on this -- Semi-isolation is okay. For reference - the isolation level of these Vodas seem about right for me for walking around town somewhat safely, etc.
  4. No amplifiers needed.
  5. Idiot-proof, relatively user friendly; easy to remove and insert when in a store, etc. (I don't mind a little hassle, but, not a lot please)

For reference:
I listen to trance, dj-remixes, rock, soul, electronica, some r&b.
Listening habits: I usually drop the bass end of my EQ a little below zero, and bump the mids & high ends up.

With the above criteria in mind, please give me ideas on what IEMs I should be looking at?

I used my super.fi 5 pro for awhile at the gym and occasionally running. The wife uses hers all the time for running and says they work great.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 17
I can only recommend Super.fis, they are great for the gym although they are not suitable for running imo, the sound of your feet landing on the ground is just unbearable although when using the foam tips it's not as noticable(I cant stand foam tips though
mad.gif
)

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by music065 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question, I need to find a IEM for workout also.

Are the microphonies of Superfi 5 manageable for gym?

Very, not a major issue imho. My Superfi 5's hit the gym daily and handle it w/o any problems. I do weight training and reasonably long runs (5-7miles) they stay put and after 10 months look as good as they day I bought them. I did do the flip mod which helped them to stay comfortable for longer durations of time. Combined w/ a Ipod shuttle 2 its about as good a combo as I can imagine for gym/runs, light, simple to operate and rugged.

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 17
I also have a set of SuperFi 5s but within an hour or so of a hard workout, sweat entered the right monitor and rendered it useless. Although the sound did return eventually (overnight after some drying), the output was significantly reduced. Luckly they have a top-notch waranty and shipped out a new set to me right away. I have since switched to using JVC Marshmallows for working out. $20 is easy enough to replace without much heart ache, although the SQ is no where near the same league.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 17
In my opinion, the Koss KSC-75 is the best workout headphone ever. Instead of getting $100+ IEMs that have microphonics you need to worry about, I would say get a pair of KSC-75s and a amp to match.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 17
I wouldn't go the IEM route for running. The loud steps, and the heartbeat in my head is really annoying to me.

I can understand having good sounding phones for weight training, since one must rest between sets, but I definitely don't recommend the super.fis for running. Besides, if you care about sound quality when you are running, you probably aren't running fast enough!
wink.gif
just kidding, to each his own. The sweat factor C/Ho talked about is something to consider if you are especially sweaty! I've sweated out a few earbuds during my running.

Sorry to deviate from your original headphone choices stereophile, but if you are running outside w/an IEM, you may be making a potentially dangerous decision. Koss ksc55 works well and stays put, and senheiser's new sporty neon green headphone looks ok but I haven't tried it though. Px100 is also good, but I've worn out a few pairs due to the straight plug breaking. Even over the head earbuds are good (and stay put) That said, for your sound preferences of turning down bass and brining up midrange, the super.fi probably isn't for you as it is a bit warm and bass friendly. The shure might be more for you.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 17
Great thread. I am glad I am getting super.fi's because they seem to a be a popular suggestion in this thread.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 17
The super.fi is definitely NOT the best sounding for under $200.

OP should definitely do some serious research in the portable headphone section.
Even without an amp, the RE1 is still more superior to the Super.fi in all aspects except for bass quantity.

Then there's Sleek SA6.

Recently, Nuforce came out with their $50 iem which a headphoneaddict, a very active and credible reviewer around here, commented that it's better than the super.fi and coming close to the Klipsch Image X10 that also bests the superfi.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 17
like most people who posted here, I also use my ue s.fi5 for gym duty. mine's the eb version though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back