Top Ten Fallacies About The iPod
Jul 23, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 29
I love item #9...

....AAC is OK because you can just burn to cd and rerip to mp3. I love paying for music (sarcastic), than being forced to accept an additional lossy conversion quality loss later so I can use it properly. I wouldn't pay a cent for a song that gave me those limited options.

Interesting article. Obviously, I can't say I agree on everything stated.

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 29
The only point it presents to me is ironically how pointlessly one-sided it is.

The most idiotic points which deserve rebuttal, apart from the fact half these aren't even "iPod myths", are:

9) Why should someone have to downgrade an already compressed song which if they bought the CD would have cost around the same?

8) So then there's a hell of a lot of choice if you just want to play mp3s, there is no reason to just buy an iPod.

7) See 8)

6) wma still remains popular and is widely available on portables.

5) Is this a fallicy at all??!!

3) ...but isn't the iPod perfect for everyone as I'm often being told? Now I'm being told the iTunes Music Store isn't for everyone. I'm confused!!
biggrin.gif

2) The sadly common bash everything I've never used because it's not an iPod!!

1) What has Sony got to do it, when they haven't even released this player? The person writing this article is a joke. Has he never heard of Rio, iRiver, Creative, Dell, iAudio, Archos, etc?

Give me strength....

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 29
Man, read his other posts.
I've never seen a worse MAC fanboy in my life.
Apparantly, APPLE computers are the sports cars of the computer world and eeeeevvvverrrryone wants one but can't afford one. A MAC is something, in his words, "to aspire to."
blink.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
1) What has Sony got to do it, when they haven't even released this player? The person writing this article is a joke. Has he never heard of Rio, iRiver, Creative, Dell, iAudio, Archos, etc?

Apparently, the person who wrote that article had heard of those other brands. Only he never mentions them by name.

As for Sony, well... they haven't released that so-called "iPod killer" yet. And of their digital audio players that claim MP3 support, only their CD players (home and portable) can play MP3 files directly. Their MD and flash players require that you convert your MP3s into ATRAC3 files.

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 29
I thought you fellows might get a kick out of this guy's piece.
biggrin.gif

One certainty regarding iPods--and Apple products in general--is that they are a lightning rod for wingers on both ends of the spectrum. Personally, I'm a big fan of both Macs and iPods, but unbridled zealotry is a bit tough to take from any quarter.

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 29
MAC? Huh? Machine Aided Cognition? Magazine Association of Canada? Magnetic Accelerator Cannon? Maneuver Area Command? Manhattan Association of Cabarets and Clubs? Manitoba Arts Council? Marginal Abatement Cost? Mediterranean Air Command?

Oh, wait, you mean Mac - an abbreviation, not an acronym! I get it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Pet peeve exorcism complete,

Mort
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveheadphones

Really? You must not get out much--he only nudges the zealotry meter.
eek.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
MAC? Huh? Machine Aided Cognition? Magazine Association of Canada? Magnetic Accelerator Cannon? Maneuver Area Command? Manhattan Association of Cabarets and Clubs? Manitoba Arts Council? Marginal Abatement Cost? Mediterranean Air Command?

Oh, wait, you mean Mac - an abbreviation, not an acronym! I get it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, but acronyms will do. How about Most Advanced Computer?
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveheadphones
Man, read his other posts.
Apparantly, APPLE computers are the sports cars of the computer world and eeeeevvvverrrryone wants one but can't afford one. A MAC is something, in his words, "to aspire to."
blink.gif

My mom has an ibook and we were in the apple section of CompUsa looking for something for it, don't remember. The salesman comes over and trys to sell us a Mac despite being told mutiple times that I don't care for one and my mom already has one. He told us, no lie, that Apple's soundcards from 10 years ago were as good as the ones available for the PC now. Nothing like a commission to kick the fanboy into overdrive, I haven't stepped foot in a CompUsa since and will never, it sickens me to think they are outright lying to people.

Jul 23, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 29
I'm a big fan of Macs (and to a certain extent, the iPod - still wish it had more advanced features like my iRiver, but the better battery life in the 4G goes a long way, and the interface is much better), but that article, besides being very poorly written, struck me as quite pointless, not to mention wrong at several occasions.

10. The iPod supports 9 formats? Apple's website lists only 7, and that's including counting MP3 and MP3 VBR as seperate ones. Maybe he decided that DRM-protected AACs are a different format from non-DRM AACs. And let's not even start on whether or not the Audible format is actually good for anything.

9. Like already mentioned, it forces you to degrade the quality further.

8./7./6. MP3s are the most popular? No, really? A major case of "no $%^&, Sherlock".

5. Wait until the video players are out before you bitch about them. Not to mention they're a completely different category from the iPods. And it's quite hypocritical to say there's nothing wrong with DRM in the tracks from iTMS, but applied to video, it's a big deal. Oh, and Tablet PCs, especially the convertible models, are awesome - it does everything a normal laptop can do, and more. Just too expensive.

4. What exactly is he arguing here? That AAC sounds better? Maybe at the same bitrates, but with iTMS, you're limited on that.

3. The iTMS is better designed. That I agree. But the gist of this argument seems to be the DRM and AAC-vs.-WMA issue, which was already covered...

2. They are. Not everyone has got $250 to spend on a DAP... it's as simple as that.

1. Even if we pretend to acknowledge Sony's involvement is a legitimate issue (which it, specifically, is not), why is this the biggest fallacy?

What an idiot.

~KS

Jul 23, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
What an idiot.

He's definitely gotta be one of the most delusional Apple fanboys whom I ever read posts of!
very_evil_smiley.gif

IMHO, it should be: Apple, YES; Fanboyism, NO!
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 29
WHAT an IDIOT. His methods of JOURNALISM leave one with a MASSIVE headache. Just goes to SHOW YOU that ANYone WITH A COMPUTER can MAKE-believe THAT he IS WORTHY of BEING HEARD.

basshead.gif
...mommy, make the pain go away...

Jul 23, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 29
what i'll never understand is why some people need to bash another product to feel good about their own purchase. just enjoy what you have. if you don't like it, buy something else. are ipods better than iriver? are ety's better than shures? who knows? just enjoy the music already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back