Top Ten Electronic Music CDs?
Feb 15, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #31 of 44
Some people don't consider certain types of music as "electronica" if they include guitars as anything more than background embellishments. If there's a melody on a guitar, regardless of if it's played live, or just a bunch of samples, electronica purists like to snub it. I left out KMFDM becuase I knew someone would complain.

At the All Music Guide they classify Industrial as a type of Alternative Rock, but Electro-Industrial as Electronica

http://www.allmusic.com/mus_Styles.html

But that's just their opinion.

I'm already way over my 10 quota, but I 2nd the Decoded Feedback - BioVital. Almost put it in my original list. Seen 'em in concert too.

Feb 15, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #33 of 44
nine inch nails uses more "keyboard" sounds than any other instrument.... all those noises and stuff were all sampled or synthesized.

but i suppose if the music must be purely synthesized, then they wouldn't qualify.

....would using synthesizers that have sampled sounds as opposed to truly synthesized sounds discount a band from this list? let's say, using some sampled string orchestra sounds rather than using synth strings?

Feb 15, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #35 of 44
NIN was influenced by a lot of synthpop, ebm, and electronic industrial bands. i've heard people say that pretty hate machine sounds like a harder version of depeche mode. DM may not be electronica, but they are electronic. i'd say the same for a lot NIN stuff.

Feb 16, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #36 of 44
okay, here it goes, as they come to my mind, the first isn't my favourite.

massive attack - mezzanine
vangelis - blade runner
st germain - tourist
aphex twin - ambiental 1 & 2, come to d.
vangelis - the best of
orbital - in sides
k-pax sndtrck by ed shearmur
david holmes - lets get killed
bjork - vespertine
st germain - boulevard

Feb 22, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 44
for the house fans...

Timewriter - Diary of a Lonely Sailor (Plastic City)
Richard Davis - Safety (Punktmusic)

Hmm.. only two CD's that come to my mind right now (and for these two to pop out of my entire collection, they must be damned special, believe me.. hehe). I'll go through some more later and update that list a bit (I'll probably do a top ten by genres.. easier this way).

But do check those two out, seriously good stuff. I can recall more of the Richard Davis tracks because I've listened to it recently but the Timewriter album I've listened to a while ago and I remember it was very good. Very.

Timewriter is more deep house (pretty deep actually) and it's kind of dark. I'd have to listen to it again to tell you more though.

Richard Davis's album is very intelligently made, has lots of different tracks while still making a good album that flows. Most of them have male lyrics (I can't remember who made them..). Some tracks are more on the techy side and some are just plain deep house. Great CD to listen to when you want to chill out, I put it on and sit back on my bed or couch while I'm blown away again and again by it. Check it out.

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #38 of 44
God, I'm ashamed that this album wasn't on my original list. Shoot me. I apologize.

Anyway...

Global Communication - 76:14

The best part about this mindblowingly beautiful album was that it was written in 1994. (Maybe even '93, I forget)

Almost a decade after it was first released, it hasn't aged one bit and still sounds better than most electronic music being released today.

Lots of electronic music suffers because it doesn't really stand the test of time. Early German hard trance from 1993? Umm, yeah, neat for nostalgic value, but ... not really great music anymore. The technology changes so fast that things become obsolete so quickly.

Global Communication, and especially 76:14, cement electronic music as a viable, timeless form of music. I expect this album to one day be revered the way "Kind of Blue" is today.

- Chris

Feb 24, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #39 of 44
Well, this probably isn't what you're looking for, the the original "Switched on Bach" albums by Wendy Carlos still sound great.

Feb 24, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #40 of 44
1) KLF- Chill Out
2) ORB- The Orbs Adventures beyond the Ultraworld
3)Underworld- 2nd album
4)Thievery Corporation- Sounds from the Thievery Hi FI
5)Boards Of Canada- Music Has the Right to Children
6)DJ Shadow-Endtroducing
7)Chemical Brothers- 1st album
8)The Avalanches- 1st album
9)Coldcut-Let Us Play
10)808 State-Gorgeous
11) Fatboy Slim- first album

Couple of mix cds you should check out are:
Thievery Corp-DJ Kicks
Coldcut-Special Release (get it before it goes out of print again)
Orb-Back to Mine
A Night at The Social parts 1 & 2
Fatboy Slim-Live at the big beat boutique

Feb 24, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #41 of 44
I almost forgot Global Communication are the same guys as the Jedi KNights who make some of the funkiest dance music on the planet.

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #42 of 44
hmm...i don't think it's possible for me, like too much stuff. Lots of good stuff above though. What can I say, electronic just kicks caudal.

Mar 2, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
for the house fans...

Timewriter - Diary of a Lonely Sailor (Plastic City)
Richard Davis - Safety (Punktmusic)

Hmm.. only two CD's that come to my mind right now (and for these two to pop out of my entire collection, they must be damned special, believe me.. hehe). I'll go through some more later and update that list a bit (I'll probably do a top ten by genres.. easier this way).

But do check those two out, seriously good stuff. I can recall more of the Richard Davis tracks because I've listened to it recently but the Timewriter album I've listened to a while ago and I remember it was very good. Very.

Timewriter is more deep house (pretty deep actually) and it's kind of dark. I'd have to listen to it again to tell you more though.

Richard Davis's album is very intelligently made, has lots of different tracks while still making a good album that flows. Most of them have male lyrics (I can't remember who made them..). Some tracks are more on the techy side and some are just plain deep house. Great CD to listen to when you want to chill out, I put it on and sit back on my bed or couch while I'm blown away again and again by it. Check it out.

Hey, sounds like you might like Jesper Dalhback's DJ mixes on Turbo records: ("The Stockholm Mix Sessions"). There are two of them, vol 1 and vol 2. I like vol 1 better myself - some really sublime points on them - but both are great.

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #44 of 44
Well, I'll just say the ten I've been listening to most:

Autechre - Cichlisuite
Autechre - LP5
Gescom - Keynell
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Boards of Canada - Hi Scores
Afx - Hangable Auto Bulb
Autechre - Splitrmx12
Caustic Window - Joyrex J4
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Autechre - Gantz Graf