Top recommendations for Airplane headphones
Dec 25, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 45
I'll hijack this thread for my own purposes now. What should I buy for $100 or less to use on an airplane? I'm thinking that it needs to be an IEM (canal phone or what-have-you), but am open.

Priorities for me:
* Price < $100 and lower is better since I may not like them
* excellent isolation (main use is plane)
* comfort for small ears (first-time IEM'er)
* even sound / not bassy
* not 'fatiguing' / good soundstage
* no microphonics - I hate that on my Sennheiser buds in cold weather

I have been thinking about:
* ER-6i
* super.fi.3
* Sony Fontopia MDR-EX71SLA
* budget choices JVC marshmallow or the one up
* Creative EP-630
* Shure something
* IM716 (although I don't like seeing that volume control)

Recommendations?

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if its active canceling you are after then go for QC2.

No, no, a thousand times no. If you don't like the Senn PXC 300-style, then try the AT ANC7 before you try the Bose. The ATs are far better and cost half as much...

Some of us don't like having things in our ear canals (my ENT once explained to me why I don't like it, I have some inner ear skin condition or something) but for us, IEMs just don't work out. That leaves active noise cancellation. I've been using PXC-250s for years, but I just got the AT ANC7s for xmas. The active cancellation circuitry isn't as good and they aren't as portable, but the passive isolation is better and the SQ is better, so I give a slight edge to the ATs.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #34 of 45
Personally active noise cancellation makes me a bit dizzy after a while. I prefer the passive.

I ended up buying, mainly because of price and availability, the Super Fi 3's at Radioshack. They were $40 after a $10 coupon (from your local paper).

So far the fit hasn't come naturally to me, but I'll have to tough it out as the isolation should be worth it on the plane. The trick is to find the right tip now, which I think will be a pain (literal and figurative). I think foamies are right, but they only come with one pair, so I'll have to source more, hopefully a variety pack. If anyone has a tip (pun intended) on what to use and where to get it cheap, PM me or post here.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #35 of 45
Next update. So far I've had a bit of trouble with the fit, with all sizes. That has left the bass lacking as I can't get a great seal. I've also tried the alternate fit - the cable swap method, but that seemed worse to me.

I'm going to use the foamies on a flight to Asia this week, and if that doesn't work then I'll buy the Sony sealers. Anyone have experience with Korea to know if there are good headphone deals in the markets there? If so, what should a I target?

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next update. So far I've had a bit of trouble with the fit, with all sizes. That has left the bass lacking as I can't get a great seal. I've also tried the alternate fit - the cable swap method, but that seemed worse to me.

I'm going to use the foamies on a flight to Asia this week, and if that doesn't work then I'll buy the Sony sealers. Anyone have experience with Korea to know if there are good headphone deals in the markets there? If so, what should a I target?

Hey Leland, Although your flights will provide the best test-lab matching phones for your needs, I have a couple cautionary notes about using IE phones, or anything that seals the ear canal. Pressurization can increase effects on the ear drum(s), especially if the ear canal is plugged. Noise cancelling circummaural phones like the PXC450s provide great sound, but may be way high in price. Regarding Korea, you may find bargains (Seoul is great), but be careful for knock-offs. Good luck---

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #37 of 45
The standard UE foam tips + any of their super/triple.fi series equals airplane greatness in my experience. I found, much to the frustation of my wife, that I could even hear conversations much better as a result of the better filtering of the engine noise and kept trying to have conversations with her unprotected ears. After a while I just gave up and listened to music
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #38 of 45
Another vote for the SE530. I just had them in for a 4.5 hour flight. Great stuff!

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 45
klipsch image are the best in my view - tiny, packable, unbelievable comfort, great noise attenuation... great sound and killer bass.

they're not the most durable but if you reinforce the strain relievers they're tickety-boo on all fronts

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #40 of 45
Having IEM and Noise Cancelling cans, for a plane trip, I'd go for my IEM's. I use my Can's for when I'm just lying on my couch, or relaxing, and don't want something in my ear.

X2 TO KLIPSCH IMAGE

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #41 of 45
Something that is custom moulded for your ears is a must, especially if we're talking about long haul flights. I used to travel more than a half dozen times a year (all long haul 10+ hour flights) and my ears canals would be terribly sore if I had a universal-tip in it for more than a few hours. Even Comply thin tips hurt and they certainly weren't too big. If you can't stretch for fully custom IEMs, even a UM1 with custom earpieces will sound absolutely superb. Otherwise, I would go for a pair of comfy over-the-ear headphones at the expense of sound quality/isolation.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #42 of 45
I have some Shure SE530 too and they are excellent. I will sell them though because it takes me too long to get a seal and it never stays. Yes, I tried zillions of plugs, including making my own.

So I'm looking into Sennheiser HD25-1, excellent reviews everywhere, quite good isolation and not too big. They do not fold though, so that maybe a deal breaker right there.

But for people than stand IEM's, the shure are amazing.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Shure SE530 too and they are excellent. I will sell them though because it takes me too long to get a seal and it never stays. Yes, I tried zillions of plugs, including making my own.

So I'm looking into Sennheiser HD25-1, excellent reviews everywhere, quite good isolation and not too big. They do not fold though, so that maybe a deal breaker right there.

But for people than stand IEM's, the shure are amazing.

I wore my HD25-1 on some long-haul flights recently.
smile.gif
The isolation isn't as good as an IEM or NC phone but it's more than enough attenuation to enjoy music/movies. They're not very comfortable for sleeping in though.

I think that picking up relatively cheap IEMs for flying is a good idea even if you despise sticking things in your ears; because, if you're like me, you'll be using earplugs for sleeping anyway, and it's not much different than those uncomfy complies or Olives.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #44 of 45
I had an early pair of the Bose NC headphones. Good for their time, and was before I started reading here. I had already switched to the Ety 4s and the original shuffle. Big improvement in size, and SQ. Unfortunately they found another home one trip.

Currently I take the Klipsch Image on shorter trips, and UE-10pros for the longer trips, especially if I think I will sleep some. The Images do great, but I am constantly worried about the cord.

If I was picking one set in the $100 range, it would be the Ety ER6i, which I use for working out.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #45 of 45
Very happy with my Sennheiser HD25s (use, e.g., with iQube when on the move) or with the Shure SE-530 when traveling. The Shures definitely close down any external noise quite effectively, however, if you don't like in-the-ear models, the HD25 are my favorites since they close pretty well by pressing the cushions rather tight to the ear/head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back