Top Ohm load for Fiio e17 Alpine
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Smoothbass12

New Head-Fier
I am looking at getting some new cans (particularly looking at beyers) that will be paired with the e17. What would be the highest/optimal impedance for the headphone I would use? I would think 80 Ohms would be good, but what about at 250 or even 600? And for 32 Ohm cans would the difference between amped/not-amped be merely tonal and not that it is actually driving the cans better? Thanks in advance!

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 8
Interested in the things you ask aswell, and one more thing is there any other amp/dac or only amp that is as portable in size that is better within the price range? Prefer something neutral or abit on the warm side if its possible without tube amps.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 8
The fiio e17 supports 16 - 300 ohm headphones.

32 ohms - 250 ohm Beyerdynamic versions would do fine with the e17, but not the 600 ohm verion.  

The Beyers DT880 and DT990 are good options.  Yes, they require amping to bring out there full potential.  Without amping, volume and sound quality will suffer.  They are all known as hard to drive headphones, even the 32 ohm versions.  In fact, the 32 ohm DT990 are actually supposed to be even harder to drive than the 250 ohm version.

Leonarfd; check out the objective 2 Amp: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=o2full
Very highly appraised amp here on head-fi.  Very neutral and very clear sound.  It also comes in a amp+dac all in one version here: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48
Also; the amp only version can be powered with a plug but also has a battery for portable use, while the amp+dac version can only be powered via plug.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Already have the objective2 but I want something abit more portable for walks etc, the husky need some action every day so :). Also got a good tube amp on my desktop. But thanks for the feadback it is a brilliant amp the o2.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552605/fiio-e11-impression-information-support/930 Had not seen this thread before, lot of info if you got the time to read it :) And not in need of the dac versions.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Yes, I remember reading that thread when doing research on the E11 :)  If anything it got me more interested in this amp.  In it's price range the E11 is hard to beat in terms of quality and portability.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The fiio e17 supports 16 - 300 ohm headphones.

32 ohms - 250 ohm Beyerdynamic versions would do fine with the e17, but not the 600 ohm verion.  

The Beyers DT880 and DT990 are good options.  Yes, they require amping to bring out there full potential.  Without amping, volume and sound quality will suffer.  They are all known as hard to drive headphones, even the 32 ohm versions.  In fact, the 32 ohm DT990 are actually supposed to be even harder to drive than the 250 ohm version.

How is this even possible? Do the 32 ohm's have a lower SPL or something that I am missing here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back