Top of the line headphones & amp for trance
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
wink.gif

This is my first post here, so please be gentle. I am replacing my HD650 with a new pair of headphones and I have been looking at different brands, mainly Grado and Stax. Was thinking about buying the Stax SR-007 (OmegaII) with Stax SRM-007tII Amplifier or a pair of Grado's with a HeadRoom Max Balanced Amplifier.

I have been searching on this topic and found some rather good answers, but I didn't read about this type of combo that I was looking for.

This is a whole lot of cash so I don't want to do anything hasty, therefore I turned to you guys.

Am I overlooking other high-end phones and amps?

Would it be a shame to buy the Stax set which can only be used for electrostatic phones which will result in not having the choice to switch between different phones if something new or a better came along?

Hope you guys can help on this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Top of the line you say?

Either go with the Sennheiser Orpheus, or grab a AT L3000 with the Headroom Max balanced.

Gorgeous headphones no doubt about it! Will these bad boys function well with the electronic elements that is trance?

And of course...

Retailers please, anyone? I find alot of japanese sites and it is not quite my second language. :-/

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 81
You will only be able to purchase these second hand from other users, as they have long been dicontinued, with the exception of the headroom max.

The max is available here .

the l300 will likely run about $3500.

The Orpheus will run around $16000ish, assuming you get the original HEV-90 amp with it. Otherwise expect to pay about $8000ish for the HE90 alone.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 81
I believe you would be very pleased with the SR-007/SRM-007tII system.
And you will of course have the choice to switch between different phones if something new or better come along? Just like with a dynamic system..
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 81
There's an ebay auction going on right now for a new R-10. It's up to $4750 with more than 4 days left, though.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 81
Trance/Electronic music + Electrostat = poop

I must say...I've heard orpheus' on trance, and it lacked any and all the energy that kind of music is to envoke. The bass is a different kind of bass, which suits other music genres fine, but anything electronic where it has a heavy, hard hitting bass note....electrostats are NOT the choice....

Simply put, it was like walking into a nightclub with a stellar sound system, that needed a bassbox/subs/woofers....

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I must say...I've heard orpheus' on trance, and it lacked any and all the energy that kind of music is to envoke. The bass is a different kind of bass, which suits other music genres fine, but anything electronic where it has a heavy, hard hitting bass note....electrostats are NOT the choice....

Simply put, it was like walking into a nightclub with a stellar sound system, that needed a bassbox/subs/woofers....

I agree, and I would suggest the L3000 personally, but the HE90 realyl is too goo to not suggest
icon10.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 81
Quote:

Thank god there are different opinion among Head-Fi'ers, or else it would have been a rather boring place to stay.
tongue.gif

Meaning, I find electrostatics (both the SR-007 and 4070) to reproduce electronic music rather well. But then again I have not heard a well composed dynamic headphone rig.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 81
Ultrasone Edition 9 works very well on electronica.. Try to hear them with your fave albums and see what you think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 81
You sound like the perfect candidate to take the plunge on a TakeT H2. Universe level performance, uber uber bass, not discontinued so easy to get, all the clarity of an electrostatic with none of the "limpness" in the bass that so many hear. It'll set you back a pretty penny as you'll need the TR-2 transformer with it, and you'll need to put a speaker amp in front of it, but the costs are comparable with the Omega 2 setup you're considering.

I strongly suggest you read the impressions in the review that is linked to in my signature.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 81
Quote:

I disagree. I listen to a significant amount of Japanese trance, and I always reach for electrostats when I do.

The Senns have too much bass rolloff for it, but there are plenty of other choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back