Top of the line 30+GB mp3 player right now?
Apr 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh
Which ones? I owned a colour iRiver in August 2004 and it played video in November 2004.

Or is it the url registration dates?

h

i think the first point is way off. from what i have found, the iHP 100 came out sometime in 2003. after the release of the 3G ipod.

also, i'm not sure if it is the registration date, but according to alexa www.ipod.com showed up only 2 days after www.iriver.com.

what bangraman is saying is that the only reason you can get those batteries is because they are the ipod's batteries.

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
the battery of the vision:m is not user replaceable. in addition, there is currently no information on replacing the battery through the company (unlike apple, who will replace an out of warranty battery for $65.95).

there is also no reason for third party manufacturers to make 5G ipod batteries. all the 5G ipods are still under warranty.

You must work at Engadget or Apple...well, they are both one in the same now I guess...

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #35 of 45
Battery replacement, the way apple or the vision:m does it really isn't a battery replacement...if you can remove the battery and replace it with another one without sending it back to the manufacturer or taking your unit apart, risking breaking it forever, I would then consider this a battery replacement (such as the creative vision and various others)...

There is no inherent reason for a manufacturer to offer a replacement battery because they want you to buy the latest and greatest in a few years...I'm sure most do this anyway...I know I do!

LIP

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #36 of 45
Remember - if you send you iPod to Apple for a 'battery replacement'....

They DO NOT return your original iPod to you. They send you another iPod, same model, and in comparable condition to yours that you sent them.

That is kinda lame.

MAkes it a pain in the ass if you have an invisible shield etc on your player.

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 45
which one of the players (iaudio x5l or zvm) should i buy if I'm mainly interested in sound quality and gapless playback? (real gapless not with tiny gaps).

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #38 of 45
Just for the sake of completeness... The x5 is probably the most resistent to wear and tear, and there is also Rockbox available... well, there is a battery issue (it lasts about 1/5 of the specs), but they are working on it.

Oh, and the x5 is almost gapless with mp3, but with ogg it has a very annoying gap.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 45
FWIW I've been deliberately throwing around my iPod and making it live with keys, etc with the Invisibleshield fitted and it's surviving well. Seeing as apart from scratch resistance the X5 casing is the weakest out of the ZVM/5G/X5 comparo, I'd go for the iPod + invisibleshield with the Rockbox option.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
FWIW I've been deliberately throwing around my iPod and making it live with keys, etc with the Invisibleshield fitted and it's surviving well. Seeing as apart from scratch resistance the X5 casing is the weakest out of the ZVM/5G/X5 comparo, I'd go for the iPod + invisibleshield with the Rockbox option.

How is the 5g ipods bass compaired to ZVM as Im continplating a move over to apple. This question is both for origional FW and rockbox!

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh
With Rockbox, which now works on iRivers, iPods, and iAudio, gapless is perfect.

h

Thanks for that. Now...which one should I buy if I want the best sound quality?

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 45
what about a hd5? if you are gonna use an external amp, and not bothered about using Atrac, then you get small form factor, outstanding sound, long battery life and gapless playback.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
How is the 5g ipods bass compaired to ZVM as Im continplating a move over to apple. This question is both for origional FW and rockbox!

I'm sure if you don't like it, you can cook up a firmware upgrade to take care of it... no?

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
what about a hd5? if you are gonna use an external amp, and not bothered about using Atrac, then you get small form factor, outstanding sound, long battery life and gapless playback.

thank you man but I'm quitting HiMD so... atrac is no good for me. I'm a md user since 1994 or so but one of the things why I'm going to change my himd for a mp3 player is because of Sonicstage and atrac files. I just want mp3 direct transfer, hopefully drag and drop, and the best sound quality possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back