Top of head pressure
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wouldchux

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm a new poster here, but I've been reading on and off for years, and I read a bunch of old threads before posting this one (I apologize if I missed one that covered this question specifically).

I'm on a never-ending hunt for comfortable, good-sounding wired over-ear headphones for music listening. I read a bunch of threads about headphone comfort, but I had trouble finding recommendations that address the main problem I have.

The thing that tends to get most uncomfortable for me on headphones is the contact of the band with the top of my head. I guess the distance from my ears to the top of my head is larger than average, because even with the band extended as far as it will go, on most headphones it's just barely far enough to reach, and there's a lot of pressure on the top of my head. As I type this I am wearing Sennheiser HD280 Pros, and within 20 minutes they are uncomfortable on top of my head, but this is not unique to this model. It's a problem I've had on just about every headphone I have tried.

I do also care about clamping force, and the size of the ear cups (bigger is better), but I'm mainly looking for headphones who will not apply pressure to the top of my head.

Any recommendations? Thank you!

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Any of Audio Technica's "wing" style headband models are great for this.

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Alternately, Hyland Audio models are also super comfortable and light on the head.

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 7
In my search of comfortable headphones, I ended up with DCA Aeon Flow RT closed. I have the same issue, I quickly develop a hot but mostly sensitive spot at the top of my head with most headphones and I now use IEMs most of the time due to this. The only headphone I still use are the Aeon. Light, not a lot of clamp pressure, comfy pads and a nice suspension headband.

You might want to look into IEMs too so that you can switch over when the top of your head get sensitive.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700Xs. They feel decent (not amazing, but probably better than anything else I've tried). I'm not really in love with the sound signature, though. I don't know if the higher models would sound different enough to be worth it? I've had a hard time finding detailed info on the differences.

The Dan Clark Audio headphones look like they have a band that would sit on top of my head, so I'm not sure if they would address the problem? I'm not really opposed to spending that much if they actually do solve the problem and sound great, but based on the pics I'm kind of skeptical.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 7
What are you using as a source? The source (DAC / AMP) may be the issue, more than the headphones.

What are you hearing that you don't like? Too much of something? Too little of something else?

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I have two sources: an Schiit Magni+Modi, and an old Sansui AU-555a. On both of them, these headphones sound kind of "hollow" and harsh. Too much treble, not enough bass (and I am not a bass fiend, nor do I listen to bass-heavy music). I liked the sound of the Senn HD280pros well enough (not incredible, but fine); I just didn't like the comfort. Something that sounds like those, but feels like the ATH-AD700X would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back