Top-notch desktop monitors - Advice needed
Aug 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ivoltage

New Head-Fier
I need some monitor speakers to go on my desk. I am replacing an overpriced and underperforming Bose 2.1 system. I will be using the speakers primarily for Traktor DJ Studio, mixing down the odd track in Logic and general audio duties.

I already have a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol audio interface (192khz + balanced outputs) and have narrowed down the possibilities to the following:

Genelec 6010a
Pros: Designed for desktop use, genelec quality.
Cons: Unbalanced inputs, same price as 8020a, no reviews available.

AudioEngine A2
Pros: Compact, great reviews, compact, price.
Cons: Unbalanced inputs, unsure whether they can be used as studio monitors.

Nuforce Icon + S1 Speakers
Pros: Versatile desktop amp, great design, audiophile reputation, passive.
Cons: Amp not really needed, unbalanced, non-standard RJ45 connections.

I was wondering whether adding an extra stage with the NuForce Icon amp would be a mistake. Would it improve or compromise the audio?

I have my desk in an alcove so the speakers would have to sit on my desk or be mounted on the wall to either side. Whatever their position, they will have to be close to the back wall. Should this affect my choice.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 8
If the 6010 costs the same as the 8020, why not get that?

If you're in 8020 territory, then Bluesky, Adam A5/A7 and Dynaudio BM5A would also be in budget.

The back wall thing would seem to favour the Genelecs.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply/advice.

I was thinking that the 6010a was optimized for desktop placement. Not enough info around yet to tell. Also I am very short on space.

Would prefer not to have to lay out the cash for either of the Genelecs but would a much cheaper M-Audio AV40 be OK for what I want? Or are 'studio' speakers at that level a false economy?

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 8
I liked the Mackie HR624mkII best in a casual listen to the monitors on offer at Guitar Center. They would give you room correction options and they use a passive radiator for bass extension, which could be a particular plus in your setup.

For the money, it's hard to beat Audioengines for desktop speakers, but I'd say go with the A5s if you're going to do any serious monitoring. Rear-ported, though.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 8
a5s don't do too well near the walls because of their rear ports. they need a good bit of space behind them to work at their fullest imo

if you're that stuck for space ... headphones???

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 8
I had the DX-4s which aren't too different from the AV-40s. They're small and OK but in the end I think you will get fed up of lack of bass and resolution, so a false economy.

Another alternative might be the ESI Nearfields.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I would suggest the Genelec 6010As to everybody read this post. I don't know about the audioengines, but I write GENELEC with capital letters, these people know what they do! I've just got a pair for £350 (I am gonna write some detailed impressions on them). I had exactly your problem, the 8020As or the 6010As? Eventually I chose the 6010As, firstly because the 8020As are still too expensive, the B version in the UK is still sold as the A versions >£500, but basically they are the same. Secondly because it is not really portable.

The 6010As are fantastic/compact/little speakers, but don't get me wrong they are not a toy at all, this is professional stuff! The contruction is stellar. The sound is superb, if you put them in the right position on your desk (closer to your ears and more distant from the wall) the stereographic image is granitic, you can litterally close your eyes and spot without any hesitation the position of the musicians. Plenty plenty loud (neighbours already complained :) ) with no distortion whatsoever when it goes up. Yes they are like two little jewels you want to stroke them. They drop sharply at 60Hz, but the bass that count above this frequence is so tight that you really don't miss much the 50Hz. You can still feel deep vibrations from other rooms (poor neighboors), and you can't just believe that crystal clear sound comes from those little things, yes because they are very tiny little things.

I wouldn't worry about the absence of a balanced connector, there is a reason why they invented it, and the reason is that monitors (90% of the times) need to be mounted usually faaaar from the source and this can affect the low current signal flowing through the cables. This is not the case you will keep these beauties on your desk, close to your laptop and your desktop amplifier (trust me at GENELEC they know what they do).

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 8
If you're looking for production/mixing monitors then of the choices you listed the Genelecs seem like the obvious choice.

A friend uses the Focal CMS 50 monitors as he swears by their car audio line and they sound very impressive for their size. Very clean sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back