Top-notch closed cans for work?
Apr 5, 2003 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DesBen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I haven't posted in over a year I think. Consider this my return
smily_headphones1.gif
At home, I still prefer to listen to my stereo (with tube amps!), but at work, headphones are the only way.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a little problem of mine. I'm looking for a new set of cans to use at work. Sound leakage is a problem so I need closed headphones. I currently use Sony V6. They aren't bad, but their limitations are evident. They lack refinement in my opinion. They could be more open in the midrange, more textured in the bass, sparkly on the treble, etc. I need something more fluid and musical, less "electronic". I want breathy female vocals to sound sweet and sensual, not analytic.

I recently heard the AKG K501. I really liked what I heard, but they leak way too much sound. Are there any closed AKG that sound similar? What about Beyer?

I listen mostly to jazz and electronica. I have an MG Head OTL so high-impedance cans (>100 Ohm) are OK, and actually preferred. I'd like to keep it under $300.

Apr 5, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I use Etys at work. They're small, accurate, and low-profile -- people looking at you from a distance won't know you're wearing them, and they don't leave you with "headphone hair".

They provide more isolation than any other headphone I've used, however, this might be more isolation that you want. If you have a deep seal or listen at high levels, you're likely to miss the occasional phone call, which might annoy your coworkers.

Apr 5, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Etys won't work. I often need to go see people and people often come see me for advice. I can't imagine inserting/removing Etys 20 times a day. I should have mentionned that, sorry.

Apr 5, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 5
The Beyerdynamic DT-770 sounds like what you're looking for. The MG-Head OTL will bring out its midrange nicely and you probably won't take offense to the copious amounts of bass if you're conditioned to the V6's already. They're a lot more open, extended, and refined, yet more detailed than the Sony's in general.

Apr 5, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 5
This has been one of my quests for the past year. My favorite so far is the Beyer DT250-250.

I also use the DT770 at low levels. The pumped up bass works like a built in loudness compensator.

I took my AT A100Ti in yesterday. I don't like the sound of these as is, but with appropriate equalization they sound wonderful. They are my Fridayphones.

I haven't taken the CD3000 "Buicks" to work yet. Don't really want to be seen in those.

The Beyer DT831 are also good, but I don't have any at the moment. When I get another pair they are going straight to the office!

Good luck!

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back