Top non-US headphones?
Sep 21, 2019 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

olinko

100+ Head-Fier
I'm saving up for a new closed-back, but everything that already costs a fortune would cost even more when I import it into the EU.

What's the pick of the litter for headphones up to €400? (closed or open, doesn't matter)

In terms of sound signature, I'd prefer them wide with great mids, not really a basshead, but "good" bass is important of course
(I currently own the Jubilee 58x, the Cooler Master 751, Koss KPH30i and the Koss KSC75x - and out of all those, I actually like the KSC75 best)

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 8
If you like the KSC75 most you probably want more forward upper midrange than the HD58X has and there’s a good chance no amp will change that. You might want to look into swapping the HD58X for an HD600 as the difference in midrange presentation is very noticeable.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 8
@olinko

I think in just about all cases importing (and taxes) is already done for us, and it's more of an exception when there's not a European retailer. Look to German and UK shops for example.

I know, but try getting something from Massdrop, anything Fostex, anything Monoprice (and I think the three are always the most talked about). I know there are SOME Fostex headphones available on Amazon.co.uk, but it's always a gamble.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 8
To my knowledge Massdrop is indeed the top exception, responsible for non-US headphone enthusiasts suffering :)

I chose random shops for Fostex:
https://www.hificorner.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=fostex
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=products.search&q=th900&subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=``&pfull=``&pname=Y&pkeywords=``&search_performed=Y
https://www.projekt-akustik.de/navi.php?qs=fostex
https://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_th_900_mk2.htm

And keep an eye on www.monoprice.uk
I think they ship anywhere in Europe whereas Monoprice.eu doesn't give me a quote.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Focal, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Ultrasone - I think are the only EU brands that actually still make some products in EU and has the same or cheaper than US prices. I think Meze and AKG also has 1 or 2 EU made models. Also the Ukranian Verum One. All of these Brands also have China factory products at no additional cost to EU or US. AIAIAI is danish and makes modular headphones, china Made though I think.

Other big brands also sell to EU or US at the same or similar price: Bowers & Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, Sony, BOSE, Skullcandy, Beats, 1More (small Chinese brand makes nice products) Master & Dynamic. Then there is the Sendy aiva also a chinese headphone that is unique and nice but you will have to pay import fees to EU.

In terms of American Brands you can only get Koss and Grado at normal prices.

The High end audiophile american brands are mostly much more expensive in EU sadly: Audeze somewhat, MrSpeakers hugely, Abyss (by thousands? I dont get those people)
FOSTEX and Denon from Japan cost mostly the same as US prices.

You can sometimes find Audeze discount from an EU distributor, but rarely.

I think big consumer brands just absorb the sales taxes but smaller brands just add the sales tax. So some american brands will be 20% more expensive + €€ already has 10% more value at the moment. Which should make it cheaper but some brands just translate the price 1:1. So a 1000 USD price tag just becomes 1000 € which is 1100 USD already, and on TOP EU will take import fees. So you are mostly looking at 20-30% higher price for Made in USA import into EU.

I think at ZMF you can pay the USD price, which is neat, but you then need to pay the import fees yourself. And at those prices it will always be between 100-300€ or so.

Sep 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Focal, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Ultrasone - I think are the only EU brands that actually still make some products in EU and has the same or cheaper than US prices. I think Meze and AKG also has 1 or 2 EU made models. Also the Ukranian Verum One. All of these Brands also have China factory products at no additional cost to EU or US. AIAIAI is danish and makes modular headphones, china Made though I think.

Other big brands also sell to EU or US at the same or similar price: Bowers & Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, Sony, BOSE, Skullcandy, Beats, 1More (small Chinese brand makes nice products) Master & Dynamic. Then there is the Sendy aiva also a chinese headphone that is unique and nice but you will have to pay import fees to EU.

In terms of American Brands you can only get Koss and Grado at normal prices.

The High end audiophile american brands are mostly much more expensive in EU sadly: Audeze somewhat, MrSpeakers hugely, Abyss (by thousands? I dont get those people)
FOSTEX and Denon from Japan cost mostly the same as US prices.

You can sometimes find Audeze discount from an EU distributor, but rarely.

I think big consumer brands just absorb the sales taxes but smaller brands just add the sales tax. So some american brands will be 20% more expensive + €€ already has 10% more value at the moment. Which should make it cheaper but some brands just translate the price 1:1. So a 1000 USD price tag just becomes 1000 € which is 1100 USD already, and on TOP EU will take import fees. So you are mostly looking at 20-30% higher price for Made in USA import into EU.

I think at ZMF you can pay the USD price, which is neat, but you then need to pay the import fees yourself. And at those prices it will always be between 100-300€ or so.
Great overview, totally forgot about Focal!

@moriez thanks for the links!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back