Top IEMs with Apple earphones frequency response
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

smit

New Head-Fier
So here is an interesting story......

Sometime around this time last year, I bought an iPod Touch 2nd Generation, along with the Westone 3 earphones which were the hottest IEMs on Head-Fi at that time. Prior to this purchase all my headphones / earphones purchases were less than $70 and had varying luck with them.

Anyway I was one of the few people who was actually quite disappointed with the W3s. I tried liking them for almost a year but couldn't and finally sold them sometime back. Actually I found myself enjoying the stock Apple earphones that came with my iPod Touch more than the W3s.

While the W3s were worlds apart in terms of details, clarity, speed etc. when compared to the Apple earphones, I hated their frequency response especially the mid-bass bloat, recessed mids and sibilant highs and greatly preferred that of the Apple earphones which is just enough bass, good mids and non-sibilant highs. Of course I was greatly missing the details, clarity and speed but found the W3s just too fatiguing. I could wear the Apple earphones for hours while I had to give up on W3s in an hour or two.

So anyway I am back shopping for a new IEM. I had almost given up my search for the perfect IEM and was happy with the Apple earphones but the details, clarity and speed of the top-end IEMs such as the W3s were sorely missed.

Do you guys have any recommendation for me? I am currently thinking of getting the Westone UM3x. For those who have them, let me know if I am making the right decision. I am sure you all must have heard the stock Apple earphones that come with the iPods for comparison. I haven't auditioned any other high-end IEMs other than the W3 and need an all-purpose type IEM (from jazz & classical to rock & techno, from movies to gaming) since this will be my only pair of IEMs.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 9
IMHO the UM3X is the only logical choice here. The UM3X would be positioned as the evolution of the ADDIEM (Apple Dual-Driver IEM, or officially the Apple In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic) if it were an Apple product. And the ADDIEM is the evolution of the stock Apple earbuds.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Are you talking about the Apple buds that come with all ipods and iPhone? Comparing them to top-tier iems? I find the earbuds that come with the iPhone greatly lacking in every aspect I treasure when it comes to sound. The iems Apple make are kind of cheap and sound ok if the music isn't especially complex. When it becomes complex the sound gets congested and veiled. The veil is always there but is more noticable with more complex arrangements (more instruments)

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the useful advice everyone. I think I will go with the UM3X then.

knugge, I agree with you on the Apple earphones not being able to handle complex music (which is why my search for the perfect IEMs continues) but I do prefer the balance of the Apple earphones over the W3s which 3x0 rightly pointed out. It seems more neutal to me when compared to the W3s.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Aha so you have the Apple iems andprefer the balance they have so you are looking for something with similar balance but more refined. Sorry about my post, English is not my first language.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 9
yea, UM3X is also the first IEM that comes to my mind after reading your description

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 9
I'll throw in a suggestion. I am like you. Did not like the W3's very much, for most of the same reasons you described.
I ended up trying the Klipsch X10. Very nice headphone, good bass response and can handle the complex rock and metal I listen to mostly, nice balance and clarity. I picked them up for $160 from Amazon.
I am using them with the comply tips, very comfortable. My .02 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back