Top American manufacturers?
Jun 16, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 37
yeah but is the stuff actually made in the US? I've seen some of their stuff recently, and I wonder.........
confused.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #17 of 37
omer,

Thanks for the info regarding McIntosh. Yes, all Macs are still made in the US. There was a recent Stereophile article on a Mac CD changer that incorporate the Nakamichi MusicBank changer mechanism as well.

In today's global economy, it will be hard to find any one product that's completely made by one manufacturer. There are excellent products made by all countries.

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 37
omer,

I generally agree with your assessment. However, sometimes a manufacturer switches place of manufacturing, for example - - from the US to Malaysia, and then still charge the same price for the product. That really steams me!

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 37
I agree again.
confused.gif
On the other hand, there are some manufactures that have done the opposite with no increase in price, eventhough it's more expensive to it, the end quality of the product is better.

Can anybody guess who has done this?????
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 37
Some manufacturer, who generally makes higher-priced gears, expanded their markets by manufacturing a great product at a great price overseas (from a North American point of perspective). Like Mission speakers or Acoustic Energy speakers.

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 37
and they managed to maintain quality control. Wharfedale is another example, but at least they dropped their price points on most of their products. I could be mistaken, but I don't think Mission or AE's pricesa re any lower than in the past.
confused.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 37
It used to be AE speakers were well beyond the reaches of budget music fan like myself, but when AE released the Aegis series....that was unbelievable. US$300/pair for a pair of brand-new AE speakers?? Sure, they're made in Malaysia. But the quality is still there. Excellent sounding speakers.

Same with Mission's M70 series....made in Malaysia, but damn good sounding speakers.

Agree with Wharfedale....their Diamond and Pacific series are awesome.

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by omer
A VERY good American manufacturer, that now has a multi format player is http://www.mccormackaudio.com/
Also, to my knowledge, Cary is NOT assembled in China. Jolida however, is, but their final quality control and testing is done in the US.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been wondering how pricey their universal player will be. Has anyone heard?

JC

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #27 of 37
Originally posted by dustinyo
"Anyone heard if the above listed American manufacturers are planning on releasing a high resolution "universal" source come either May / August 2004?"

Tuberoller is usually the most current on this kind of info, maybe he can help. He did mention a new Integra Research universal player that just hit the shelves and some other ones on the way.

JC

Jun 17, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #29 of 37
McCormack's UDP1 player will be around US$3500. Integra Research is NOT made in the US, it's a Japanese brand made in either Taiwan, Malaysia or Singapore. It's the same as Onkyo's DVSP800 multi player, which has been available for over a year.
Kinda like Toyota/Lexus.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back