Top 5 worst things about IEM's
Apr 5, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #32 of 60
They don't stay in my right ear. I must have the weirdest ear canals. Left ear=seals fine. Right ear=slips out after about 30 seconds. That's all five of my reasons.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #33 of 60
1 - High sensitivity to noise in amplifier
2 - Sweaty ear canals when running or hot
3 - Microphonics
4 - No sound stage
5 - If you use triple flanges and you yank on them it really hurts

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #35 of 60
1. There are too many to choose from
2. Not enough money to buy them all
3. Wife thinks I must be cheating on her because she doesn't believe I spend so much money on them
4. Friends think I'm crazy because I spend so much money on them
5. Not enough time to listen to music wearing them

Same goes for amps, sources, ic's, cans etc.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #37 of 60
1. Price
2. Where are the highs (except Etymotic)?
3. I takes too much time to put them in/out
4. Soundstage (e500s got nice sounstage, though)
5. If your source is hissing, you'll for sure hear it

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #38 of 60
1. Sound quality.
2. Fitting issues.
3. Lack of soundstage.
4. Bad price to sound rate.
5. Fragile

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #40 of 60
Worst thing bout IEMS ? Haha... well, they're just too small... I always have to search for 10 minutes when trying to locate them in my room ! lol

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]I’m about to take my first foray into the world of IEMs and…um…what is/are microphonics? [/size]

Microphonics in the case of IEM usually come from cable movement or touching or brushing up against the cable. The sound of the contact get amplified and you hear this sound through the earphone. Its sort of like touching or moving a mic that is "live," except not that dramatic. Its mainly annoying. I had a pair of Ety 4P that I would hear this sound from the cable movement whenever I turned my head.

This also seems to be one of the issues with many after market cable upgrades for full headphones. The phenomena of microphonics also occurs in other areas of audio - like turntables and sometimes amps.

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #42 of 60
God the microphonics and all that internal noise just drives me crazy with my E500s. I'm wearing them now and i can hear myself breathing quietly through my nose.

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God the microphonics and all that internal noise just drives me crazy with my E500s. I'm wearing them now and i can hear myself breathing quietly through my nose.

x2, for me the microphonics makes IEM unusable, and the price, why are those small and tiny things so expensive?

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #44 of 60
Everyone made for some very good points. I would like to add that its more prone to being lost/stolen because of its size. And let's not forgot to look bothways! Although I have to agree that the size/price/sound is proportionally; a great buy.

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #45 of 60
i only use marshmallows and the microphonics annoy me a lot sometimes... can't eat/chew gum/walk too fast

other than that, it takes longer to put in/take out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back