Top 5 or So Rock Guitarists Alive
May 18, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly not one of the most technically gifted guitarists around. However, I think he gets so many votes because he created so many wonderfully memorable solos. They are the kind of solos that if you hear someone do a cover version of the tune, and they don't play the solo note for note, then the song kind of feels incomplete.

He also has a beautiful and immediately identifiable tone, much like the four other guitarists on my list. In fact, each of the guitarists on my list are very similar to Gilmour in that they have all created memorable guitar solos that really make the songs. Kid Charlemagne, Roundabout, Sultans of Swing, for example, just wouldn't be the same without those solos.

yea technical ability doesn't make a virtuoso. yngwie malmsteen is way more technically capable, but i know whose guitaring i can and can't stand listening to for hours on end

but srsly for how long can dave gilmour hold a note?

May 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #64 of 76
Jason Becker (can't play anymore but he's still alive
wink.gif
)
Wata
Akira Takasaki
Paul Gilbert
John McLaughlin

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #67 of 76
How about:

Eric Clapton - Simply the Best!

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Every note speaks with feeling

Carlos Santana - Latin mainstream who crossed over to top the American charts

John Mayer - Amazing young guitarist...Blues, Alternative, Rock... The next Eric Clapton???

Ted Nugent - There is only one Ted...and can this guy play...wow. Have seen him live 6 times. Put on your cans and turn up Strangehold.

Mark Knopfler - Simply Dire Straits

Eric Johnson - Appreciated by true music lovers

Joe Satriani - Amazing Speed..faster than the eye can see

Popa Chubby - Gotta see this big man play live...

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wata.jpg

WATA
biggrin.gif

do you have a vid clip of WATA? i wouldn't mind hearing some chops!

and imho, eddie van halen for the win - in Rock.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #69 of 76
Jul 31, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #71 of 76
My faves:

- Lee Renaldo/Thurston Moore - best guitar duo on the planet.
- Alex Lifeson - tastiest, most melodic solos that never bore. Never.
- Robyn Hitchcock - vastly underrated, especially his acoustic playing.
- Steve Howe - "The Clap" live from that 72 concert video, need I say more?
- Robyn Guthrie - not the most technically proficient but he created the most atmospheric soundscapes/textures on those Cocteau Twins albums with his guitars/effects.

Runners up:

- Billy Corgan - Average rhythm player and but his solos are always HEARTFELT and INTENSE without being super duper long....and he channels Hendrix with his tone and use of feedback but in a good way.

- King Buzzo - Riffs from hell, I swear, lol. Super heavy playing but gotta love his sense of humor....and the Melvins ROCK!
smily_headphones1.gif

- James Hetfield - Stopped listening to Metallica after the "Black" album but on all the albums before that one, his rhythm playing was impressive...just so damn fast AND precise....I suspect a robotic wrist.

- Jimmy Page - not much needs to be said here except that he would have made my top 5 list if I didn't like the 5 I chose as much as I do
smily_headphones1.gif

- Prince - An all around excellent musician/songwriter I know but damn, that solo on "Lets Go Crazy"????
smily_headphones1.gif
And he plays a Tele, a real guitar player's guitar.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #72 of 76
Wow.. greatest of all time... IMHO that takes this discussion beyond the "who's your favorite" thread. It requires some kind of historical significance and impact to the music world.

Tier1)
SRV - he is an immortal genius who's heart/soul will never die. Hes more alive now than ever.
Carlos Santana
Ronnie Wood, the Stones' real guitar player
Eric Clapton
James Burton... Uh... Elvis Presley anyone?

Tier2)
Brian May
Trevor Rabin
Steve Howe
Eddie VanHalen (supposedly this guy is still alive, somewhere)
Frank Zappa

Tier3)
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Billy Gibbons

An honorable mention needs to go out for James and Kirk of Metallica. Not sure where to fit them in on this list. In the mid-80s they created a sound/feel.... Thundering chunky Metal guitar, that scooped-death metal tone that at the time was new and different. At the time they were using high gain Marshalls for Kill'em all and Ride the Lightning. Its a grainy-er more midrange-ish tone.

They switched to ADA MP1 Preamps, Mesa colliseum power amps and Black-shadow loaded 4x12 cabinets for master of puppets. KIDS FRIEKED OUT, wanting more and more of this new guitar tone. At the time they signed a huge Mesaboogie deal and appeared in magazines and NAMM shows in the Measa booth. All the kids wanted THAT death-tone.. and bought mesa mark3's... which were voiced completely different. Mesa realized the market demand and released the Mark4 and started adding EQ circuits and gain stages to their preamps. Eventually they created the dual/tripple rectifier heads for THE definitive sound.

High gain, scooped-death preamp circuits are such a common thing now in the guitar industry... But it all started with the ADA MP-1, James and Kirk.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #75 of 76
Favorites I've seen in person:
  1. Steve Morse
  2. Paul Gilbert
  3. John Petrucci
  4. Ty Tabor
  5. Buddy Guy

Favorites I've NOT seen in person (but hope to some day):
  1. Michael Schenker
  2. EVH
  3. Al DiMeola
  4. Yngwie