Top 5 metal bands
Aug 31, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
I would not call Zeppelin a metal band. The band members themselves denied they were heavy metal.

By the time Zepp. were playing their first albums the term "heavy metal"did not yet exist...we were calling their music by then "Heavy Rock" or Heavy Blues-Rock... By then Black Sabbath were also considered "Heavy Rock"... Deep Purple were only "Hard Rock" (not as "heavy" as Zepp. and Sabb.) Judas Priest, Metallica and Megadeth were still to be born...and all of them were called "underground" music...
I think Zepp. is one of the fathers and mothers of Metal just like Sabb. and Deep Purple are, but as I've already said I don't give much importance to classifications anyway...
Just out of curiosity,what would you call them?

Sep 1, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 32
This was a double post.
But since I'm here; Spinal Tap is Innovative Metal!
Wasn't it after the movie all those amps came out with #11 on the volume knob? Weren't they the first to have mini stage props?
Okay, sorry. The movie is playing right now.
md

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 32
I'm sorry guys -- as much as I love Deep Purple and Led Zepplin, I can't call them metal.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Helloween
5. Mercyful Fate

Prog metal would be a different story. Maiden and Helloween barely scrape by without getting thrown into the prog category. Fates Warning, Dream Theater and Queensryche would top that list.

Metallica. Bleh. <rant> Metallica is a bunch of money grubbing LA posers who hired Bob "Loverboy" Rock to help transform them into a pop band after the only member with any integrity was killed in a tour bus. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are classic albums but everything else may as well be Britney Spears as far as I'm concerned. I wish their music was worth pirating just to spite them. Unfortunately, it's not. </rant>

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 32
Ok, new list from me as of now, since the last one only had three bands, this one has a lot more! Once again, in no real order :

Arckanum
Nokturnal Mortum
Skepticism
Ulver
My Dying Bride
Opeth
Funeral
Black Sabbath (Ozzy years only)
Abigor
Burzum
Darkthrone
Cradle of Filth
Danzig
Iron Maiden
Nargaroth
Celtic Frost

There are tons of more great Metal bands than just these, but these are the current standouts for me at the moment.

Sep 1, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos

By the time Zepp. were playing their first albums the term "heavy metal"did not yet exist...we were calling their music by then "Heavy Rock" or Heavy Blues-Rock... By then Black Sabbath were also considered "Heavy Rock"... Deep Purple were only "Hard Rock" (not as "heavy" as Zepp. and Sabb.) Judas Priest, Metallica and Megadeth were still to be born...and all of them were called "underground" music...
I think Zepp. is one of the fathers and mothers of Metal just like Sabb. and Deep Purple are, but as I've already said I don't give much importance to classifications anyway...
Just out of curiosity,what would you call them?

Well if the band members do not call themseleves a metal band their not a metal band.

Sep 2, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #22 of 32
Led Zep (although he was influenced by blues, 86% of metal vocals imitate Plant)
Pantera
Megadeth
Slayer
Iron Maiden

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Well if the band members do not call themseleves a metal band their not a metal band.

OK, let's suppose we go with your reasoning... still you haven't answer - What do THEY call themselves and what would YOU call them?...

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 32
In interviews, Ian Gillian had always called Deep Purple a rock band. He found the heavy metal label strange but agreed that labels weren't all that important to him.

The album "In Rock" is not called "In Metal."

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 32
They sound like classic hard rock to me.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #26 of 32
Link to AMG's "HARD ROCK" page:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=C4482

link to AMG's "HEAVY METAL" page:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=C655

There are some interesting historic references down there about the development of styles, nuances and differences - you can find both Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin listed there as "key artists" on both pages...as well as references to their key role in the development of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal...
...not that I would take AMG as "Bible", all in all it's only their interpretation of the history of music... still it shows again and again even amongst itself the RELATIVE nature of classifications... There is a lot of overlapping between the various styles and there are many crossing influences -even within the same style/band between albums/over the years and so on...

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

I disagree. I can call a band whatever I like. Some of them are just dicks, and don't like to be pigeon-holed. Too bad. If the shoe fits...

That said, I don't consider Zep a metal band, although I and II were pretty dang hard.

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #28 of 32
Jeez, half the bands listed aren't even metal acts.

My top five:

Megadeth
Pantera
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Slayer

Others I enjoy:

Guns 'N Roses
Sepultura
Sevendust
Black Sabbath
Suicidal Tendencies
White Zombie
Anthrax

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #29 of 32
I can't get used to Suicidal being a metal act. I know they crossed over a LONG time ago but man, their best **** was before that.

I dig Anthrax from the Spreading the Disease/Among the Living days. I saw them in concert twice back then. You can't imagine how much it just rocked to be in a big audience in which everyone knew all the words to "Medusa." Helloween and Exodus opened for them that show... Halloween, 1988. I miss the 80s.

everybodys doin the toxic waltz

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I can't get used to Suicidal being a metal act. I know they crossed over a LONG time ago but man, their best **** was before that.

I dig Anthrax from the Spreading the Disease/Among the Living days. I saw them in concert twice back then. You can't imagine how much it just rocked to be in a big audience in which everyone knew all the words to "Medusa." Helloween and Exodus opened for them that show... Halloween, 1988. I miss the 80s.

everybodys doin the toxic waltz

Helloween!

Exodus!

Damn! Kelly, you've been to some really cool concerts! What i wouldn't pay to see those two acts back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back