Top 5 daily IEM/Earbuds?
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #16 of 30
Wow KXXS at the bottom! And I thought Moondrop iems are general easy to like at the price. Blon is fraction of the cost, and I presume the Chifi above them are low priced relatively to KXXS as well?

Such a subjective hobby!
Tape is like 130 usd
1.1 is 75 usd
And only a6 is above kxxs in price being 240 usd

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 30
I think he's referring to the bronze filter that doesn't come with the DMG and can be bought separately from Ali X. This filter is quite longer than the standard and has a hole near the filter which lowers the bass the an extent that it doesn't sound bloated compared to the other non-bass filters (normal & silver).
Finding it difficult lately to locate may things on Ali X, this filter among them, KZ Starline tips another... Also, has anyone spoken with Penon Audio lately? Have they got virus problems or what? I asked them some pretty straightforward questions incl which IEMs the various Spinfit twin-blades would fit best, and they have not responded for about eight days now!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 30
Gotta say that the cumulative effect of all those NICEHCK M6 reviews that Basker (sorry Baskingshark) linked us to was irresistible. The safety-catch is almost off on those buggers already!

The NiceHCK M6 with the stock filters is very boomy/woolly at the midbass. I'm a basshead and I like my bass any day (for quantity), but even I thought with the stock filters, the midbass was too prominent and it eats into the mids and treble. Even though there are 3 stock filters, they are pretty gimicky and don't really change the bass frequencies much IMO.

But with the 3rd party BGVP filter for a few bucks, it lowers this midbass hump and gives the mids/treble more breathing space and the tuning is much more balanced.
Overall, the M6 has pretty thick and slow note weight, but still for a hybrid, its timbre is pretty good. Technicalities are good though there is a higher treble roll off, so it's not for trebleheads too.

If u are searching for the 3rd party BGVP filter, just type "BGVP filter" on aliexpress, many shops are selling it. Just get it from the cheapest/most reliable shop. It looks something like this:
Capture.PNG

Though with this coronavirus thingy going on, I think there might be delays when ordering with Aliexpress, maybe check with the rest who have recently ordered stuff. FYI, there's usually a big Aliexpress sale sometime in March, not sure if it will be on this year with the virus, but I got my M6 at $73 USD before coupons during the 11/11 AE sale (usually it is 87 - 100+). With coupons it was around 65 bucks. Supposedly the M6 is an OEM version of the more expensive BGVP DMG, and is cheaper by $30ish USD, I like it so much I actually sold away all my KZs and TRNs after I bought the NiceHCK M6.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 30
The NiceHCK M6 with the stock filters is very boomy/woolly at the midbass. I'm a basshead and I like my bass any day (for quantity), but even I thought with the stock filters, the midbass was too prominent and it eats into the mids and treble. Even though there are 3 stock filters, they are pretty gimicky and don't really change the bass frequencies much IMO.

But with the 3rd party BGVP filter for a few bucks, it lowers this midbass hump and gives the mids/treble more breathing space and the tuning is much more balanced.
Overall, the M6 has pretty thick and slow note weight, but still for a hybrid, its timbre is pretty good. Technicalities are good though there is a higher treble roll off, so it's not for trebleheads too.

If u are searching for the 3rd party BGVP filter, just type "BGVP filter" on aliexpress, many shops are selling it. Just get it from the cheapest/most reliable shop. It looks something like this:

Though with this coronavirus thingy going on, I think there might be delays when ordering with Aliexpress, maybe check with the rest who have recently ordered stuff. FYI, there's usually a big Aliexpress sale sometime in March, not sure if it will be on this year with the virus, but I got my M6 at $73 USD before coupons during the 11/11 AE sale (usually it is 87 - 100+). With coupons it was around 65 bucks. Supposedly the M6 is an OEM version of the more expensive BGVP DMG, and is cheaper by $30ish USD, I like it so much I actually sold away all my KZs and TRNs after I bought the NiceHCK M6.
Very helpful as always, but it's curious that you don't really give me much of an idea, we'll here at least, of why you ypurself love this IEM so much, what qualities it has that are superb once that bass hump is overcome? Apologies if that was not what you were trying to do, of course, but if you do have the inclination, I should love to know a bit more - 'straight from the shark's mouth' (or maybe ears?)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 30
Very helpful as always, but it's curious that you don't really give me much of an idea, we'll here at least, of why you ypurself love this IEM so much, what qualities it has that are superb once that bass hump is overcome? Apologies if that was not what you were trying to do, of course, but if you do have the inclination, I should love to know a bit more - 'straight from the shark's mouth' (or maybe ears?)

Well at the budget-midfi segment, usually I prefer a dynamic driver (DD) type sound for casual music listening (as it has better timbre/tonality than their BA/hybrid counterparts in general). The DD sets just sound more natural for acoustic instruments and the bass moves more air/decay than BAs. Multi BAs at the budget pricing usually have better technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, clarity, details) than DD IEMs, so it depends what you look out for in your music.

The NiceHCK M6 with 3rd party filters keeps the great technicalities of a hybrid/multi BA set but has thick note weight and good timbre/tonality despite it's hybrid/multi BA roots. Indeed it has one of the better timbre for a budget hybrid, definitely much better than the infamous KZ metallic artificial timbre.
The sound signature is smooth, warmish and analogueish with a slow bass but still good technicalities (unlike the BLON BL-03 which is indeed warmish and anlogueish but has poor techincalities).
The soundstage is quite wide, and it has a pretty balanced tuning and is non fatiguing for me.
So I quite like it for jazz, acoustic, classical stuff, which are my usual genres.

I think if u are a treblehead or want a very tight and fast bass, then skip it.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 30
No list of 5, because there is only one top daily IEM for me.
I keep coming back to the modded JVC FD02 as the top daily driver. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206)
Like @baskingshark I also believe that DD has advantages in the lower to medium price segment.
Timbre, tonality and coherence seem to be hard to get right with multi-BA IEMs and I feel you have to spend much more on BA IEMs to get similar musicality as you can get from the best medium priced DDs.

The FD02 has actually very good technicalities (really good timbre, resolution, clarity and separation, good sound stage) and provides a slightly fun, smooth, detailed and well extended sound. It's robust and comfortable for me (after finding the right tips and fit)

The T8iE beats it on soundstage and detail, but is a little finicky to fit and can be a little warm.
The EX1000 beats it in dynamics, detail and clarity and has the best, most detailed and extended bass I heard in an IEM, but it's a little intense at times, has bad islation and is not as comfortable or easy to wear.

So the FD02 is the cheapest of my 3 main IEMs and remains the most used.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #25 of 30
No list of 5, because there is only one top daily IEM for me.
I keep coming back to the modded JVC FD02 as the top daily driver. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206)
Like @baskingshark I also believe that DD has advantages in the lower to medium price segment.
Timbre, tonality and coherence seem to be hard to get right with multi-BA IEMs and I feel you have to spend much more on BA IEMs to get similar musicality as you can get from the best medium priced DDs.

The FD02 has actually very good technicalities (really good timbre, resolution, clarity and separation, good sound stage) and provides a slightly fun, smooth, detailed and well extended sound. It's robust and comfortable for me (after finding the right tips and fit)

The T8iE beats it on soundstage and detail, but is a little finicky to fit and can be a little warm.
The EX1000 beats it in dynamics, detail and clarity and has the best, most detailed and extended bass I heard in an IEM, but it's a little intense at times, has bad islation and is not as comfortable or easy to wear.

So the FD02 is the cheapest of my 3 main IEMs and remains the most used.

@surfgeorge I remembered that u recently got the Drop JVC HA FDX1 (single DD). How is it compared to the modded JVC FD02?

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 30
@surfgeorge I remembered that u recently got the Drop JVC HA FDX1 (single DD). How is it compared to the modded JVC FD02?
That's right, I did get it, but unfortunately I had a quality issue with my pair and had to return them.
I will get the replacement units within a few weeks and am looking forward to comparing the FDX1 with my FD02.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #27 of 30
Actually the BGVP DMG is about $30 USD more expensive than the NiceHCK M6.

U can check out some reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-m6.23430/reviews
There's some headfiers in the review section who reported that they have the same shells and tuning, but maybe DMG is less sibilant according to them. Whereas others said they are the same. Can't say for sure as I haven't heard the DMG. But even so, if they are just slightly different, I wouldn't mind saving $30 to get the M6.
@baskingshark mate you seriously riled me up..I might just part some cash just to see what all the excitement is all about, Thanks very much for the detailed information (y)

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #29 of 30
I think, my best iem I have tried recently is Hifiman Re800 silver. I regret that I sold it. It has a "light" sound, but timbre and clarity were very good. Now I am into earbuds recently. Looking to start with Monks, probably to early to start with Dragon 2+.

@Marburger for earbuds..Vido is a must have in your collection for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back