Top 5 amps at £200, £300 £400 and £500+..?
Nov 2, 2009 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stevewestern

New Head-Fier
So, how about a list of what YOU, as the owner and user think are the best amps in the various listed price points...
I have some Sennheiser HD650's arriving soon, which will be driven by what is clearly a very unpopular (on this forum) DAC/amp - the Beresford Caiman. I ordered this long before I ever heard of this site, and will give it all the time any new product deserves to burn in, as it seems highly recommended on other sites (and I do not care if the man behind it is seen as an A**e here, if his product is good !)
But, I want to know what you guys all think are the best amps, FOR YOU, at various rough price points. I am also happy to hear from owners of the really expensive stuff, and all links will be much appreciated !
This is the start of my adventures into headphones, and opinions of users with experience would be good to hear.
I don't know how valves sound, or even how my phones sound, but a list of stuff to audition would be a good starting point - where I live there is not a single hifi shop, let alone a place that sells headphones or amps, making demos hard to find - I do go back to London at times, so am hoping to be able to go back with a list to work from.
Thanks to all for any positive input !

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi stevewestern. I can't help directly (maybe somebody else can), but I can share my experience. The first time I pursued that very, VERY broad question, I dropped down dead due to too much reading, so getting answers for those questions is not for the faint-hearted. Before you begin, a few things you should stock up:

A ration to last at least 2 weeks, preferably sitting next to a fridge, freezer and microwave. A comfy chair with a built-in toilet. Lots of Red Bull. Toilet rolls. Some medication if you plan on falling ill. A phone to call the ambulance (don't forget the charger if you're using a mobile) just in case. Resign from your job/university as you won't be able to turn up.

best amp $200
best amp $300
best amp $400
best amp $500
best amp $600
best amp $700
best amp $1000
best amp $2000

Branch off the search when you find topics that interests you, but that will extend the search time beyond the 14th day, so watch out.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Ha - Fantastic !
That'll teach me to ask such a big question !
I'll sit tight and wade my way through as much as I can then go buy the first 2 amps I like the name of and start listening so I can work out what sort of sound I like, and what I want or need.
Thanks bryanbhu !

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Amps are quite simple to make so there are literally hundreds out there. I'ld say just follow the general hifi rule of: see what you can get second hand, whatever you order chances are a cheap second hand piece will wipe the floor with any similarly priced new kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back