TOP 3 IEMS OF THE 3 FREQUENCIES
Oct 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Qonad

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all!
smile_phones.gif

Of the 3 different frequencies(lows, mids & highs) and soundstage, which iems do you guys rate as the top three IEM from each group? Lets all contribute our opinions.

I am new to this, so my rankings are..:

Lows:
1. Sennheiser IE8
2. JVC FX500
3. FutureSonics Atrio

Mids:
1. Shure SE530
2. Not sure
3. Not sure

Highs:
~Not sure.

Soundstage:
1. IE8?
2. Not sure
3. Not sure

Have fun
smile_phones.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 24
LOW: IE8
MID: SE530
HIGH: ER4P

Of course, this is very subjective and unless the frequencies are balanced as a whole, the IEM may not be all that pleasent to listen to.

It's better to have one that does all frequecies as good as possible...like UM3X
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 24
HIGHS:
1. ER4P/S
2. CK100
3. RE0

MIDS:
1. CK100
2. UM3X
3. CUSTOM 3, SE530

LOWS:
1. SF5EB
2. ATH_CKS70
3. IE8

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 24
HIGHS: Triple-Fi 10

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 24
Can't do it for top-tier universals (haven't tried the SE530/TF10), but I can do it for sub-$50 in-ears
wink.gif

Lows:
1. Nuforce NE-6/NE-7M
2. Maximo Im-590
3. Radiopaq Jazz

Mids:
1. Soundmagic PL50
2. Maximo Im-590
3. Nuforce NE-6/NE-7M

Highs:
1. ADDIEMs
2. Meelec Ai-M6
3. H-D RE2

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 24
I haven't used enough products to give a full list. I've also used a bunch of buds too which I view in the same category as IEMs, just trading out isolation.

I feel soundstage is very important simply because it is hard to "fix." Frequency response can be EQed, within some limitation. Creating a stage presence with exact location, separate, and physical size are things much harder to adjust.

Bass, Mid, Treble as a whole:
1) Triple.Fi 10
2) Yuin OK1
3) Head Direct RE0

These where the three I've used where it is very hard to put specific fault on frequency response. None of these earphones sound alike, but they all don't fall short or really mess up in any of the 3 areas.

I'd have a much harder time listing individual regions. You start ignoring the fact that a headphone does terrible somewhere else. I mean, what's the point of great mids if the high or low frequencies are horrid?

Sound stage: pinpoint location, width, and depth as a whole:
1) Etymotic ER4S
2) Denon C751
3) Yuin OK1

From a total mental image standpoint, these three mainly stand out for providing good location, separate, space, width, and depth

I'll add a third category simply because I think it's probably the most important factor of all: realism. What I mean by this is can the earphone fool you? Is it so good that noises, talking, etc. actually fool you into thinking they are real? Does it sound life-like? I kind of feel this is the desired end goal, is it not?

Realism:
1) Yuin OK1
2) Denon C751
3) UM3X

The OK1 is really the only one that can truly fool me, and it's happened several times. No other earphone that I've used has done this. The Denon C751 is very good in the sense that the sound actually has a life-like presence to it, but it's bound more to just the midrange frequencies. Something like the UM3X is good, but it doesn't quite convince that it sounds like the real world although natural, even, and dynamic in presentation, but they sound more like a recording of real then as real. They're more like listening to a good set of home theater speakers. They sound really good, but there's always that sense of speaker between you and the source. Something like the TF10 is better in you hearing the source directly without the sense of speaker between your ear and the original material, but the TF10 isn't life-like with a more analytical/synthetic coloration, real through colored glasses.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 24
Of those I've heard:

Highs: RE0
Mids: SE530
Low: NE-7

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 24
Of the ones I've heard:

Highs: Phonak Audeo PFE (with grey filters naturally)
Mids: Shure SE530
Lows: Westone 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back