Top 10 reasons not to buy a Rio Karma
Jan 17, 2004 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

joey666

New Head-Fier
Top 10 reasons not to buy a Rio Karma

10. Screen scratches easily
9. Doesn't work with many common routers/switches
8. Wheel is fragile and prone to breakage
7. Need to carry diaper pin at all times (to perform frequent system resets)
6. Doesn't mount in Explorer, must use Rio Taxi software to load non-music files on it
5. Parlez vous Java? You will have to if you want to use some of those groovy features!
4. Spend hours making sure the ID tags on your 3000 music files are correct and complete
3. Cheesy 90 day warranty
2. ZERO accessories available, and none planned by Rio or third parties

...and the number 1 reason not to buy a Rio Karma:

1. That nasty hard drive failure rate

You don't have to take my word for it...read the riovolution.com message board. It's not like I'm posting that the Karma eats babies or something. (Tho I wouldn't be surprised if it did)

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 32
May I ask is this from personal experience? It's strange because I have had none of these problems(except for the inevitable screen scratches). Huh?
confused.gif

JV.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 32
Hello Babyroo!

For those of you who haven't been to Riovolution.com, this is the same dork who trolls there. Since he decided to cut/paste his thread from there to here, I'll address his troll (with some responses (or parts of them) borrowed from the thread at riovolution):

10. That is true. Take care of it. Know what else scratches easily? New car paint. Babies. Gold Leaf. Learn to be careful with your toys, or buy appropriate gear to protect them.

9. This is pulled directly from your anal region, babyroo.

8. One person's broke and he latched onto it like his mother's nipple. I hammered mine while I had it and never had a prob, so I suspect this is bs, too.

7. The original firmware a couple months ago had problems. I've used a Karma more than most, and have used every firmware released, and have reset the unit twice (and not since three releases ago).

6. Babyroo was educated on the ins and outs of filesystems, and why the Karma doesn't mount as a generic drive.

5. Jave being mentioned as a drawback for the Karma is like saying dirt roads are a drawback to Range Rovers. It's just another method to access it's features- not a requirement.

4. Valid- proper tags are a requirement. Sue DNNA.

3. Valid- the warranty is too small in light of 12 month warranties being offered by nearly everyone else. You should buy a 3rd party warranty if you're worried.

2. If you need candy colored skins, get an iPod.

1. Moron begins frequenting popular MP3 player forum. Moron sees people post about HD failures. Moron exstrapolates info to mean MP3 player has disproportionately large problem with HD failures (forgetting that if he was standing at the service desk of a Honda dealership, he could easily conclude that "TOO MANY ACCORDS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH <insert generic problem here>!!" if he had never taken a logic or statistics class)

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 32
It just pisses me off when people just regurgitate anything they hear like it's the truth. This is just like when people here recommend headphones they have never even heard.

GO AWAY! Nobody likes you.

JV.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Lil_JV
It just pisses me off when people just regurgitate anything they hear like it's the truth.
JV.

Couldn't agree more.

I perticularly lothe the "6 people have had the same problem, therefore all 200,000 units must be junk" crowd. Apply that logic to cars and we'd all be taking the bus.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 32
Thought I'd paste this from Riovolution:

This is just well known fact....Top Ten Reasons to Not Own a Karma

10. You don't have $250 to spend on a great MP3 player, because you're still in debt from your trip to the Mac Expo.

9. You don't want to get the crap kicked out of you by your jealous, iPod-owning co-workers.

8. The 98db S-to-N Ratio makes it hard to hear cars when you're crossing the street, and you might get hit.

7. Connecting your Karma to the ethernet port on your wireless router may allow WiFi thieves to hear you listening to "Justified."

6. Telling people that you can listen to "Ogg Vorbis" convinces them that your usual techno-babble has finally crossed-over into complete, and utterly incomprehensible hysteria. They commit you to a mental institution.

5. The button layout is so easy to manipulate, that you begin to wish your girlfriend was equipped with a "Rio Stick."

4. The Rio DJ does such an awesome job of choosing music for you, that when the drive-thru operator asks you what you'd like to eat, you say, "Hmmm, not sure, can you tell me what's in my Forgotten Gems list?"

3. Even though the small 1.8" hard drive makes most things look HUGE, your other "hard drive" is still tiny in comparison.

2. The cool "blackness" of the Karma only serves to remind you how pasty and whitebread you really are, no matter how many Outkast CDs you load on it.

And the #1 REAL Reason to NOT Own a Karma is...

1. Because you haven't heard the news: "Apple iPod is people!!!"

Not my work, not my views. . just posted here via my clipboard.

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 32
Joey666? Are you the tking punk that ruined my Halo game yesterday? Where do you people come from? What drives you? Do you need medicine...I'll pay for it
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 32
Quoted from ameracanpoet on riovolution forums.
This is just well known fact....Top Ten Reasons to Not Own a Karma

The top ten REAL reasons not to own a karma.
"10. You don't have $250 to spend on a great MP3 player, because you're still in debt from your trip to the Mac Expo.

9. You don't want to get the crap kicked out of you by your jealous, iPod-owning co-workers.

8. The 98db S-to-N Ratio makes it hard to hear cars when you're crossing the street, and you might get hit.

7. Connecting your Karma to the ethernet port on your wireless router may allow WiFi thieves to hear you listening to "Justified."

6. Telling people that you can listen to "Ogg Vorbis" convinces them that your usual techno-babble has finally crossed-over into complete, and utterly incomprehensible hysteria. They commit you to a mental institution.

5. The button layout is so easy to manipulate, that you begin to wish your girlfriend was equipped with a "Rio Stick."

4. The Rio DJ does such an awesome job of choosing music for you, that when the drive-thru operator asks you what you'd like to eat, you say, "Hmmm, not sure, can you tell me what's in my Forgotten Gems list?"

3. Even though the small 1.8" hard drive makes most things look HUGE, your other "hard drive" is still tiny in comparison.

2. The cool "blackness" of the Karma only serves to remind you how pasty and whitebread you really are, no matter how many Outkast CDs you load on it.

And the #1 REAL Reason to NOT Own a Karma is...

1. Because you haven't heard the news: "Apple iPod is people!!!"

That sounds more like it.
600smile.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 32
I like it, too, though I like the IHP120 better. The only drop dead problem I have with it is that it's so small you can't attach it to an AirHead. But, Jeanne, (our Fabric Manager) dig the crap out of hers and does all sorts of active stuff with it and has no reliability problems at all. Two of our iPods broke though.

Feb 3, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 32
your sig is killing me jodiuh
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back