Top 10 DAP's right now?!
Apr 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #16 of 61
As for best DAP. I think folks should seek out and try the Lotoo Paw Gold, HM-901 with a preferred card (not the 901 's' as of yet as it didn't sound finished when i heard it in Jan. I suspect it's still getting some voicing before coming to market) and the AK240. Each has their strengths. I'm quite enjoying the Lotoo. I've heard the Calyx and most of the popular sub $1k players and personally don't think them quite in this league.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #17 of 61
  As for best DAP. I think folks should seek out and try the Lotoo Paw Gold, HM-901 with a preferred card (not the 901 'a' as of yet as it didn't sound finished when i heard it in Jan. I suspect it's still getting some voicing before coming to market) and the AK240. Each has their strengths. I'm quite enjoying the Lotoo. I've heard the Calyx and most of the popular sub $1k players and personally don't think them quite in this league.

Did you listen to dx100. IMHO it is more or less on pair with 901.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #18 of 61
I haven't but my understanding is that it's on it's way out or gone. When I heard the 901s, I was thinking that perhaps another board would fix what I heard which was a bit of middyness that I didn't hear in the 901 when I auditioned it. I get the tweeker thing but I sure wouldn't want to diddle about with all those boards unless I had a dealer with them on hand for me to try. I think they're probably offering a balanced out capable board as stock for this reason but it had that same character both balanced or not. Why I said that they're probably still doing some voicing and perhaps part of the reason for the delay of introduction.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 61
1. AK240SS
2. Lotoo Paw Gold, AK240
3. Calyx M
4. HM901 + Bal. Card
5.AK120II
6. P1
7. HiFi ET MA9 + Bal. Card
8. ZX 2

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #26 of 61
I was at Canjam and thought both 901s and Lottoo Gold were better than the QPR1, I did like it a lot but the screen is terrible, and I would need a magnifying glass to read the text.

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 61
I was at Canjam and thought both 901s and Lottoo Gold were better than the QPR1, I did like it a lot but the screen is terrible, and I would need a magnifying glass to read the text.

Purely for sound....the lotto just proved to inconsistent between different music types and it's eq settings....didn't gear 901 by itself...just through hifiman super he1000 system.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #30 of 61
I've A/B'ed the QP1R, AK380AMP and Lotoo Paw Gold recently and here's what I've found:

Bass: Lotoo Paw Gold > AK380AMP > QP1R;
Mids: AK380AMP > Lotoo Paw Gold = QP1R;
Highs: Lotoo Paw Gold > QP1R > AK380AMP;
Soundstage: Lotoo Paw Gold = AK380AMP > QP1R.

FYI headphones used were UM Mentor and AKT1P

I also had the chance to compare HM901 minibox and Calyx M side-by-side with LPG. 
Long story short: the two have zero advantage over the Lotoo, while the Lotoo has considerably better bass than Calyx M and considerably better highs than the HM901.

Still haven't had the chance to audition HM901S and the Tera. Will report back when I do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back