Tool Time! (NOT brought to you by Binford, lol)
Aug 18, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 25
My parents are worried about the safety of using a Jigsaw...........would a hand saw work and be safer?

Aug 18, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 25
I guess that pretty much rules out the router, then...
I really can't imagine making the cutouts without power tools in any material I'd want to use as a speaker baffle. But you can do a good job with a jigsaw.
I don't think a jigsaw is particularly dangerous for a responsible 16 year old. Let your father show you how to use it - you'll have a father-son thing and you can show him that you can be trusted with such things...

Aug 18, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 25
THIS jig with a good plunge router will give far more perfect circles than anything discussed so far...I've built a lot of speakers even in the <2k in raw parts range.

However, for squares, ignore me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit again: I used a power jigsaw every day when I was eleven+ ..... *shrug* never had an accident, I was careful.

Aug 18, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 25
How many horsepower does one need in a router? I found a 1hp one for $30 on harbor freight.

Aug 18, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 25
Seeing now that we have a power tool issue, the only option that I can think of would be to use a keyhole hand saw. You will still need something to get a large enough hole so you can stick the tip of the saw in for sawing. A drill is ideal and shouldn't be all that dangerous.

Now with the keyhole saw, you won't be able to get too accurate since manual sawing is rarely accurate especially into hard material. So you want to cut close to your drawn out hole. After that you are best to use a chisel to remove the remaining material to best approximate your hole then sand it the rest of the way to smooth.

Take some care because MDF is not real wood. Any kind of compressed fibreboard will still be kind of "chunky" so you don't want to be taking out large chunks by accident.

I'm sure there are other kinds of saws but that's the only one that comes to mind that will have the blade strength to deal with MDF.

EDIT: If a power drill is still deemed as too dangerous then you can get a variety of hand drills.

Aug 18, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
My parents are worried about the safety of using a Jigsaw...........would a hand saw work and be safer?

A good approach might be to tell them that you were originally planning to use a reciprocating saw, but you're going with a jigsaw because it's safer. They might buy that. A jigsaw is much easier to control, after all.

(Also, just curious, don't they have shop classes in middle school / high school these days?)

Aug 18, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 25
No Wodgy......though I go to a private school we do not have a shop class
mad.gif
....there is a "stagecraft" class offered (building sets for school plays and musicals), however.

Wodgy, I am beginning to think I should go with something simple like I originally planned..........a simple full range speaker.

www.creativesound.ca sells a premade enclousure for the Jordan JX92S full-range driver, albeit it is out of stock and will take a few week for them to stock it.

Since the Jordan is a full ranger, I would not need to build a crossover either.

So do you guys think I should continue to pursue my more complex jigsaw plan or go with the simpler plan?

Aug 18, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 25
It all depends on how involved a project you want for yourself. The dual-driver speaker isn't that tough, really, as far as projects go, but if you can get a kit that might be a better place to start.

(On the other hand, women dig reciprocating saws
wink.gif
)

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #24 of 25
A Dremel may work for you depending on how thick the material is you're cutting. I don't own one but I hear they work pretty well and some come with a circle cutting guide. They're also much more user-friendly then a jigsaw.

If you do get a jigsaw you'll need some way to put a hole the size of the blade in the material to start with. They also tend to produce a lot of noise and vibration so I'd do all the cutting on a sturdy surface.

How are you going to attach all the panels together?

And a 1hp router would be fine for small tasks and routing on softwoods with small bits but for hardwoods and larger bits you'll need at least 2hp to make decent cuts.

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #25 of 25
This tool is very safe for most people with half a brain not to stick a hand on the sharp end. I have seen this used on counter top work and it performs very well. You will have to create a jig of some kind to properly guide it but it will give very nice results. A balsa wood guide should be ok and can be cut with an exacto. This works on aluminum as well if you ever find the need. Many of these are showing up in pro shops for a multitude of diferent tasks. Hope it helps and good luck.
00917253000-dv.jpg
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00917253000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back