Tool: Prog, Art, Metal? All? None?
Apr 8, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 50
yup, TOOL's my favorite band too.

i don't even want to try to classify TOOL into a genre.

seen them in Indiana and somewhere near Toronto. truly great experiences.

my favorite song? forty six and two. danny carey's drum solo, mind blowing. forty six and two is the number of pairs of chromosones a being has at the level of consciousness above ours.

favorite albums. aenema, lateralus, opiate, undertow. yea, i get a lot for liking opiate more than undertow. its great to hear the progression of the albums, each one gets less hateful and more spiritual.
frown.gif
i lost my aenema cd.

tool's music is complex enough to garner a string tribute album. interesting to listen to, but lacking in "rocking"ness.

meanings of songs? there's alot of them. "the grudge" i believe is a reference to the grudge project,

"GRUDGE Contains 16 volumes of documented information collected from the beginning of the United States investigation of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO's) and Identified Alien Crafts (IAC). The project was funded by CIA confidential funds (non-appropriated) and money from the illicit drug trade. Participation in the illegal drug trade was justified in that it would identify and eliminate the weak elements of our society. The purpose of project GRUDGE was to collect all scientific, technological, medical and intelligence information from UFO/IAC sightings and contacts with alien life forms. This orderly file of collected information has been used to advance the United States Space Program." - Paranormal Research primer

parabol/parabola is about evolving to a higher consciousness, IMO

Faaip de Oiad on lateralus is supposed to be a real radio transmission, so i've heard.

there's so many more...

Apr 8, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Forty six @ 2

I agree!

other runners-up:

Parabol/Parabola from Lateralus

Crawl Away from Undertow

-jar

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #18 of 50
i'm distressed to find tool being labeled as progressive rock these days. it annoys me because ten years before now, they were a metal band. a metal band that went unknown but had a huge underground following because they did not fit into the pop culture.

i wonder why suddenly they're being called progressive rock. if their earlier albums are progressive rock as well, why is it that nobody ever heard of them until lateralus? it is arguable that aenima is what pushed them into the mainstream, but i really feel that lateralus is why the band is talked about on this board at least.

i first saw tool in 98 on the second national ozzfest tour, back when it didn't utterly suck ass. they were incredible, but i didn't see them again till last year and i liked it even more.

anyway, call them what you want but i'll always classify them as a metal band. i think people have a tough time putting them into that category simply because tool is a really good band, unlike most of that genre.
wink.gif
j/k of course.

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Forty six @ 2

I can't decide.. H, Intermission+Jimmy, Pu****.. all favorites

negative (-) Ions is really cool through a very nice set of cans
smily_headphones1.gif

-dd3mon

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 50
tool sounded very metal on opiate. from what I've read (i know, you shouldn't believe everything you read), they didn't care for that label so they moved more towards the art side.

Undertow is when they really got noticed by most of the Tool fans I know (including me). I can agree with Lateralus bringing Tool to the masses that were starved for good music, though.

Apr 9, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #21 of 50
i didn't know about tool til 98, and aenema was my first exposure to them. They quickly edged out Deftones as my favorite band. i really don't like the adjective progressive, put before "rock", "house", "trance", whatever. i have a reason but i can't put it into words now. and i'm really sleepy.

"but i really feel that lateralus is why the band is talked about on this board at least." -grinch

maybe its more mtv and popular press exposure?

"tool sounded very metal on opiate. from what I've read (i know, you shouldn't believe everything you read), they didn't care for that label so they moved more towards the art side." -feirce freak

I don't think they changed their music cuz they didn't care for a label. its been a decade since opiate, its natural for people to change. musicians don't make the same sounding music for ten years. the musical climate and influences are bound to change. people get older. stuff just evolves.

Apr 9, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 50
I'd never have heard of Tool if it wasn't for their weird music video for 'Schism.' Great band, now that I've heard everything.

Apr 9, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
its been a decade since opiate, its natural for people to change.

yeah, but undertow was not as "metal" as opiate. It is natural for people to change, though, and I admit that the reason I mentioned for the change is a bit far-fetched.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 50
Just received Salival over the weekend. Haven't had much time to see the DVD, but the CD is excellent!

Anyone have other recommendations for "similar" bands?

Thanks!
Bruce

Apr 9, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Just received Salival over the weekend. Haven't had much time to see the DVD, but the CD is excellent!

Anyone have other recommendations for "similar" bands?

Thanks!
Bruce

A Perfect Circle (duh)
Cave In
Helmet
The God Machine
Quicksand
Deftones (Maynard guests on their WHITE PONY album)
Fugazi
Shellac
The Jesus Lizard
Clutch
Failure
Lusk
King Crimson

?? not saying you'll like any of these bands, but check 'em out.. you might :)

-jar

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 50
Tool is my favorite been and have been for a long time. My favorite albums are in this order:
Aenima
Lateralus
Undertow
Salival
Opiate
String Tribute (it's not Tool, but it's still quite good)

Lateralis is my favorite Tool song. It's the last song they played at the concert I went to last October. It was the most amazing performance I've ever seen. Very, very emotional and energetic (especially when they played Triad). Every now and then I'll set up a playlist in Winamp of the songs they played at the concert (in order) and just think about when they played that song.

Danny is also the reason I got into drummer. I always liked drumming, but Danny's drumming blew me away (and still does). I hope that I can at least mimic his playing someday.

H. is my favorite song on Aenima, followed by Jimmy. Forty Six & 2 as far as drumming goes. The Grudge and Dispostion/Reflection are my favorites on Lateralus (after the title song, of course). Flood is my favorite song from Undertow. I really like any song by Tool though.

The concert I went to was not only one of the best nights of my life, but it also really opened me up to a whole different genre of music. Meshuggah was the opener, and I didn't really care for them too much (but their energy and involving performance would made you enjoy them anyway), but after the show I checked them out again and now they're one of my favorite bands. I used to despise bands in which the singer would scream all the time. Now I don't mind it at all. Opeth is my second favorite band and if it weren't for getting into Meshuggah first, I probably wouldn't like Opeth.

I just love Tool and could talk about them all day.
biggrin.gif
I can't wait for anything new by Tool.

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar

Deftones (Maynard guests on their WHITE PONY album)
-jar

I've heard that Maynard, Chino from deftones, and Zach dela rocha were college roomates.

Quote:

It's the last song they played at the concert I went to last October.

on the tours after lateralus(album) came out they always finished with lateralus.

Quote:

Danny's drumming blew me away (and still does).

i was on acid the first time i saw them. He looked like he had ten arms like the hindu god vishnu(its vishnu, right?). words can't really describe what i saw.

that night meshuggah opened for them. i did not enjoy that one bit.

Quote:

I just love Tool and could talk about them all day. I can't wait for anything new by Tool.

fo' real!!!!!! isn't the new album coming out in a few months?
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 12:01 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
I've heard that Maynard, Chino from deftones, and Zach dela rocha were college roomates.

I've not heard that one.. I'll have to check my sources
wink.gif

Quote:

that night meshuggah opened for them. i did not enjoy that one bit.

yea, they were a pretty poor choice for an opener. I do like that style of music, but in a big hall setting their sound just turned to mush.. she should have taken somone a little more straightforward like Monster Magnet or something
evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Apr 11, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by fierce_freak
tool sounded very metal on opiate. from what I've read (i know, you shouldn't believe everything you read), they didn't care for that label so they moved more towards the art side.

Undertow is when they really got noticed by most of the Tool fans I know (including me). I can agree with Lateralus bringing Tool to the masses that were starved for good music, though.

In an interview, one of the band members (can't remember which one), said that for Opiate they selected their most energetic and more driven material. So that is why opiate sounds the way it does. It was intentional so they could get a fan base and some momentum for the band going.

Apr 11, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by fierce_freak

I got into Tool after Aenima. I think Aenima brought them into the mainstream, but I think APC brought them to the masses almost paving the way for Lateralus to be a big album. APC got tons of air-play before Lateralus and all the DJs saying how Maynard was in Tool also surely helped bring more light onto Tool. If I remember correctly, APC is (or at least was) the high debuting album for a band on the billboard charts. I'm sure Tool fans (and APC touring with Nails) are the reason for this. I know I bought Mer de Noms the first day it came out. So Lateralus had quite a lot of momentum built up for it; it would have been hard for it not to have been a huge success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back