Tool/Hacks for securing 2pin IEM connection which had become a bit loose
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LucasKA

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, one of my IEM (VE phonix) with two pin connection had become a bit loose and the IEM can come off the cable when walking which is a bit annoying.

Are there any hack or tips to increase/maintain the strength of connection without permanently A bit of very thin tape? Tiny drop of Glue gun? Mould-able silicon?
There isn’t too much surface area.

Thank you!
Lucas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Scotch double sided tape is super sticky and removable. Even on a tiny surface area, if you clean the surface well, you'd be surprised how much grip that tape has.
Thank you! This is exactly the sort of tips I am looking for! Please feel free to share more!

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello, one of my IEM (VE phonix) with two pin connection had become a bit loose and the IEM can come off the cable when walking which is a bit annoying.

Are there any hack or tips to increase/maintain the strength of connection without permanently A bit of very thin tape? Tiny drop of Glue gun? Mould-able silicon?

Thank you!
Lucas

Have u tried using another cable with this IEM? If another cable fixes the issue, then it might be the male connector part of the first cable.

If it still persists, are u under warranty? Maybe send the IEM back to the manufacturer if you are covered.

If you dare to manipulate the original cable, you can try using a smooth pliers to gently pry open the two 2-pin prongs apart by a little bit, so as to get greater "grip" during the 2-pin insertion to the IEM.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't like glue except as a last resort. If you got something like the Kbear cable with removable 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4mm ends to swap out, then it might be an option. Loctight Gel on the head of a pin will put just a tiny dot to hold it, but might not be permanent with just a dot. Then the cable end can be swapped out for flexibility. I use one, it was $30 so I can test amplifiers without wearing out the connectors on my Simgot EA500.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 8

Thank you!
Lucas

Individually squeeze the pins of the 2 pin in a pair of very smooth faced pliers. I actually smoothed up a set of pliers with fine sandpaper, rough pliers will make the pins rough which you don't want.

You can quite easily spread the pins a little out of round and therefore a little wider in one direction enough to firm the fit up nicely.

Go easy, give a light squeeze initially and test the fit, give them a bit more pressure if needed. Don’t go nuts, it is quite easy to make them a bit wider, you don’t want to overdo it.

Of course that relegates that cable to that IEM but other than that it has no downslides. I have done it with a couple of cables, dead easy and 100% effective.

some have said to bend the pins out a little, I tried that first. It seems like it should work but given how little you can bend them and still be able to insert them in the IEM it is nowhere near as effective as squeezing the pins as described above.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 8
bend one pin ever so slightly

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back