Took a chance on Granite--initial impressions
Apr 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

russedelic

Head-Fier
I liked the Musical Fidelity X-can V.3 amplifier that I bought last month so much that I decided to give the 823 headphone amp from Granite Audio a try. I had asked around headfi and got some mixed responses, but the idea of an amp for almost $1K tempted me, and their return policy made it easy. Well, I couldn’t believe my ears. The short version of this story is that I immediately put my X-can V.3 amp up for sale and figured out where to position this beautiful piece of Granite equipment. The Granite return policy, while reassuring, was totally superfluous for me. I can’t say that the difference between the Granite and the X-can was night and day, but it was almost as significant as the difference between running my AKG701s out of my Adcom preamp and running them out of the X-can. These are the only two headphone amps I’ve ever auditioned, so my experience is limited, and I only have the AKG 701 headphones, so everything I say probably applies only to those cans. But the Granite 823 is an incredible amp with the AKGs.

Compared to the X-can amp, the Granite IMMEDIATELY struck me with its complete and total silence, even at full volume. When there was no music playing, there was absolutely no sound. Once the music started, however, the differences were even more striking. The sound had infinitely more stability, coherence, and presence. On a piece like “How Fortunate the Man with None” by Dead Can Dance, the bass nearly bulged (as it’s supposed to on that cut) out of the speakers, while the chimes virtually flew out with stunning precision and clarity. Bruce Cockburn’s guitar work and vocals jumped out of the completely black silence with clarity and definition that was simply shocking. The attack of the sounds from the entire audio spectrum was immediate and crisp. Vocals, guitar strums, and organ notes died out with precision and grace, and, on Amused to Death, Roger Waters’s carefully enunciated final “t,” “d,” and “f” sounds snapped with as much clarity as if he had been sitting next to me, perhaps even more. On a recording of Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra, it was almost unnerving to hear the musicians turning the pages to their music and an occasional creak from Sir George Solti’s podium! The treble was sharp and incredibly clear without being in the least shrill, while the bass (on acoustic folk and jazz, and on rock and classical albums) was full and thunderous, with nary a lump or thud that didn’t seem uncannily accurate. The midrange and imaging were incredible. I know the AKGs are known for the precision of their soundstage, but the Granite (again, compared to the wonderful Musical Fidelity unit) positioned the musicians and instruments across the entire sound field, but also seemed to add another spatial dimension of nearness and farness.

In only have a Sony ES cd player and some mid-range interconnects, so I attribute all this magic to the Granite’s synergy with the AKGs. A lot of us have remarked that the 701s are “cold and abstract,” but, when teamed up with this Granite tube unit, they warmed up tremendously, while still maintaining their ulta-coherent, ultra-precise sound, My guess is that the stridency some associate with the 701s gets tempered via whatever the Granite 823 does to the signal.

I’d like to thank all of you who helped me with some of my decisions over the past few months. I think I really nailed it with this combination. The Granite unit is also incredibly beautiful; I’d be happy to post some photos if anybody’s interested.

May 1, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Its compulsary to post photos

I'm calling the Head Fi police now (joking)
orphsmile.gif

Please do

May 10, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry it took so long; I still can't figure out how to make the photo small enough to fit headfi's standards.

This amp continues to amaze me. After a couple of weeks (and some tube rolling to JJ/Tesla 6BQ5s to match the JJ 12AU7), it sounds firmer, sweeter, clearer, more refined and forceful. I can only compare it to speakers in the $20,000 range. It has the midrange and highs of, say, Martin Logan speakers and the firm, rock-solid bass of Thiels or B&W.

I listen to lots of different music; Mary Chapin-Carpenter's "Come On, Come On" nearly made me (and my wife--usually immune to audiophilic excess) cry. Coltrane's "Love Supreme" never sounded so full and epiphanic. The Kronos Quartet's "Winter Was Hard" and "Pieces of Africa" simply jumped out of the Granites. Soundstage is wider, deeper, and larger in circumference, and these cans can handle everything from very complex symphonic pieces like Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra to the rich and soulful simplicity of Neil Young's Harvest Moon with absolute authority.

May 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 6
At that price ($1000)... from a non-descript mfr... it had better be outstanding!

I guess the question is... how does it compare to the Singlepowers, WooAudio 2, the Raptor, etc.?

Or... even... how does it compare to the PinkFloyd moded XCAN v3?

GF2

May 10, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 6
I didn't do Pink Floyd's mods, but I did roll some tubes ala nickdangerous's recommendations. The JJ/Tesla tubes did make a striking difference, but it still didn't equal the Granite in any way, save, perhaps, the great quiet when there was no music.

Then I rolled the tubes on the Granite, using JJ/Tesla 6BQ5s to match the JJ/Tesla 12AU7 the amp came with, and that was a dramatic and immediate improvement. For what it's worth, I tried a Mullard 12AU7 I picked up on Ebay, and that sounded muddy. Maybe a bad tube?

rr

May 11, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Can you open it up and take a few pictures and post them, or identify the parts and mfr - to see if it has premium parts?

Some have reported it's just a rebadged ASL - in which case it wouldn't be worth a $1,000, when compared to the Singlepowers, WooAudios, and RS Raptor - much safer bets.

It's pretty amazing that it sounds so good, with such modest (even poor) test metrics (e.g. 1%+ distortion, 55-71 S/N ratio, etc.).

GF2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back