too slow
Apr 24, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 7
I am sorry to start a new thread on a tired topic but I have to quickly vent. Why does my beloved head-fi take so long to load? I time out on the forums regularly. Why??? I have freaking cable broadband and load all my other web pages with ease.

Solution: If you need more money to buy some faster servers let's just take up a collection. I'd be perfectly willing to drop some cash for faster service and a search button.

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 7
I clicked on post reply and it took a good 15 seconds of thinking before i got to this reply to thread box...it is quite slow and thats why i havent been logging on much at all.

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Gloco, I don't even want to respond to you because it takes so long to reply to my own thread. What's up? Wouldn't you be willing to kick a buck to get a faster server? Now, I could be wrong, maybe it isn't the server. If it ain't my broadband and it isn't the server, what the heck is it????

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
I am sorry to start a new thread on a tired topic but I have to quickly vent. Why does my beloved head-fi take so long to load? I time out on the forums regularly. Why??? I have freaking cable broadband and load all my other web pages with ease.

Solution: If you need more money to buy some faster servers let's just take up a collection. I'd be perfectly willing to drop some cash for faster service and a search button.

Yup, these issues were discussed in this thread a few weeks ago. Jude explains why the site is slow, offers his view on donations, and brings up some possibilities for raising funds

D.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 7
We are moving to a new rack. We are moving to much better hardware. The rack is reserved. Some of the hardware is, too.

The rack we ordered still isn't ready to move into yet (it's at Level3, where we were at one time before).

Right now, I'm working on the site, as I have been most of the evening, trying to get it to work with search enabled on our current sub-par setup, but it's not cooperating.

I'm sleepy and would rather the site run without search than not run with it, so I'm shutting the search off until I can re-visit this later.

EDIT: We may make paid memberships available to help pay for all of this before we're able to make some of the features I wanted to make available to paid members happen. The reason is because the new version of vBulletin is different enough that some of the system mods we were working on in the last version have to be adapted or re-done. One thing that I wanted for paid members that the new software will make easy is expanded PM boxes for paid members. But some of the other features will have to wait.

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
We are moving to a new rack. We are moving to much better hardware. The rack is reserved. Some of the hardware is, too.

The rack we ordered still isn't ready to move into yet (it's at Level3, where we were at one time before).

Right now, I'm working on the site, as I have been most of the evening, trying to get it to work with search enabled on our current sub-par setup, but it's not cooperating.

I'm sleepy and would rather the site run without search than not run with it, so I'm shutting the search off until I can re-visit this later.

EDIT: We may make paid memberships available to help pay for all of this before we're able to make some of the features I wanted to make available to paid members happen. The reason is because the new version of vBulletin is different enough that some of the system mods we were working on in the last version have to be adapted or re-done. One thing that I wanted for paid members that the new software will make easy is expanded PM boxes for paid members. But some of the other features will have to wait.

If you want a payment system that is guaranteed to work, just put up a system where only paid members get to use the new server and non-paid members get to use the existing server. Make a subscription something like $5 a month. I guarantee that this site be paying for itself a few times over each month
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Edit: At least I know it isn't my Internet connection causing the slowness now, too. I can't wait for Head-Fi to get back on Level 3 since my ISP is directly connected to Level 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back