Too many headphones....
Feb 23, 2007 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

lwrs10

100+ Head-Fier
hello.......im very new to this whole audiophile headphone ordeal.....and have a few questions for the pros...story first tho...

i recently bought an ipod, and immediatly noticed what crap the stock buds were. so i bought some cheap sonys to get me by at the time, but still hungered for more sound quality. i started reading reviews online, and my next set, bought because i could just go buy em from the local store, was the sennheiser px-200's. these were a little better, great mids, no bass whatsoever, highs were ok. wasted my money on these i think.

my next adventere took me up to Seoul(im stationed in korea right now), and i found a headphone shop there. i got to try every headpohe they had(including all the 500+ dollar ones), and settled with a black set of px-100's. now these sound great. i love these.......but they still lack a somewhat...umm....hard to explain....."natural" sound?

so back to that same store i went. i tried all the mid range sets, including the grado 60's and 80's i think they were called, all the sennheiser ones between 50-200 bucks, and learned of another brand called AKG. i tried the k81dj models that they offered, and was blown away. these things to me rival 400 dollar headphones, and i tried them side by side. i think it was the sennheiser hd650's? dunno...but they were 400 bucks.....the sennys sounded a bit more clear on the treble to me......and thats all. and yes, i did try these thru a headphone amp. the k81dj's had more than ample bass, mids slightly recessed, and highs were superb for the price, which was 60 bucks. and they sounded very natural to me.....biggest selling point. i feel like these things are highly underrated.

now heres my problem.......i need some portable canalphones that sound even remotly like these akg's i have. i have the sennheiser cx300's and they are ok.......but really sound like crap when compared to my akg's. i have also tried the sony something 71's and hated those also. i also bought, and promptly returned, the UE super fi 5's. they sounded good, but were very uncomfortable to me. felt like grafting a small brick onto both ears. ugly as hell too.

i just ordered the shure e4c, am i going to be happy with these? i just want some good sound that is highly portable. and anyone else have any other reccomendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back