Too Good to be True? If not, the ER-4's are Mine!
May 27, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 29
The Earplug store are good people, I've bought lots from them.
smily_headphones1.gif
But if you read their policies, you'll see they'll hit you with a restocking fee if you buy up earphones for the purpose of comparisons only. It's pretty obvious if you're ordering lots of different pairs. And they have a valid point as a to why.

But having said that, I actually got the Shure e3c's again...from them. I previously got the E3 from idealsound but hated it. But since then I found I had a huge earwax impaction problem so decided to give it another go.

Well, it sounded better this time, no doubt about it. It was easier to get a fit, althought the best sound was with the clear sleeves. Bass was there, and the forwardness was impressive at first.

But it's like the sr60's for me: the forwardness impresses at first, but proves ultimately to be headache-inducing. All this week after e3c useage I had a headache, and I don't listen at high volumes. I think the sound is confusing. The midrage is forward - which is why Grado is the first name that pops in your head, but the midbass hump, while cool at first... ends up making the midrange actually sound recessed. I think that all that information ends up confusing my ears and gives me a headache. My brain just can't process what the Shure e3's are trying to say!

So I gave it another go, but I'm returning them tomorrow.

edit - I can't recommend iDealsound if you want to return anything. He doesn't exactly jump over any hurdles if you return something and it took me almost two months to get a refund from him!

May 27, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 29
I work out with canal phones all the time (etys and shures). Probably not the best thing to do, but I've never had any problems.

May 27, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 29
Shoot me and burn me at the stake whatever, but personally I'd go for a set of sony fontopia nudes for gym work, cheap, cheerful, less microphonics than either shure or ety and arguably more comfortable. They may not sound as good but you'll be so busy puffing , panting and admiring yourself in the full-length mirrors that you'll hardly notice.
etysmile.gif
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #20 of 29
confused.gif
Hmmm. I guess then the question is, between the models I had selected, which would be better. Secondly, if NOT going with canalphones, which then? I have heard several recommend the Senn MX400, MX500 or Koss KSC35s, but I also will be using them for quiet study in the library and when traveling home on the plane.

Are microphonics THAT bad with the canalphones? Also, I don't anticipate troubles with sweat and all that working out, though I suppose I could purchase a "cheap" set of phones to work out with. Though the whole point of this exercise (excuse the pun) was to settle on one set of phones to do nigh unto everything for me. I liked the isolation factor, but can't decide between the Ety's or the Shures.

I guess more advice is needed before I make the plunge...

May 28, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 29
Contact any of our sponsors that have them, maybe one fo them could match that price, at the end is not that much...

May 28, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #23 of 29
there is barely any blood in your ears while you workout, thus you probably wont notice the sound difference between a pretty good pair of hp and an fi-end one. buying this cans for workout would be pretty much "overkill".

May 28, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
there is barely any blood in your ears while you workout, thus you probably wont notice the sound difference between a pretty good pair of hp and an fi-end one. buying this cans for workout would be pretty much "overkill".

Not actually true. If you were refering to the pinna (outer ear) then maybe.

The cochlear which transforms the sound into nerve impulses is effectively part of the brain and hence has an excellent blood supply. The brain is protected along with the heart at the expense of ALL other organs if blood pressure drops. Your muscles get starved of oxygen while you work out but the brain does not.

Sound quality is probably less important while working out, unless you are really concentrating on it, as you would while resting.

May 28, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #25 of 29
The huge amount of adrenalin that is being released during your workout may limit the blood and oxygen follow to your ear- even the inner part of it. this is why sometimes if you run/workout with a friend, your conversation will sound like two 60y old grandpas arguing. you will also probably find your self listening to higher volumes with your portable.
btw, the cochlea is inside your head but its not a part of your brain, its only connected to it. correct me if im wrong
600smile.gif

CHEERS

May 28, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
The huge amount of adrenalin that is being released during your workout may limit the blood and oxygen follow to your ear- even the inner part of it. this is why sometimes if you run/workout with a friend, your conversation will sound like two 60y old grandpas arguing. you will also probably find your self listening to higher volumes with your portable.
btw, the cochlea is inside your head but its not a part of your brain, its only connected to it. correct me if im wrong
600smile.gif

CHEERS

The amount of adrenaline in the human body is miniscule, even under stress. I do like it when I see words like huge used in reference to adrenaline or "the adrenaline is really pumping". Huge amounts of adrenaline are those used in ITU units just to keep the blood pressure up in critically ill patients. The functions of adrenaline are to reduce the blood flow to the peripheries like skin and soft tissues, and to make the heart pump faster and harder. It may have a small effect on the ear blood supply, which would result in high end frequency loss if anything , but the increased brain blood flow should counteract some of this.

The cochlear is embryologically derived from brain tissue and it's blood supply is linked to that of the brain. It's nerves are directly linked to the brainstem.

It is effectively an organ directly linked to the brain like the eyes.

I still think the real reason you would notice differences are because you are breathing more heavily, not facing the person you are talking to, and the distractive nature of exercising.

Here endeth the medical lesson.

May 28, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #27 of 29
understood. altough even you just said that the cochlear is not dierctly a part of the brain, so i do think there is a slight change in your hearing capabilies- atleast that i can sense. btw, thx for the lesson
600smile.gif

CHEERS

May 28, 2004 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 29
E2c < E3c < ER6 < ER4

But for working out the ER4 is out of the question. The wire is way too microphonic. I'm not sure if the same is true with the ER6, but if it's half as bad it's still not acceptable.

May 28, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #29 of 29
i got my ety's from idealsound through ebay and i was very satisfied with the whole process. i also work out with my ety's and they are pretty tolerable (the microphonics) but i wrap them around my ears like you do with the shures, this brings down microphonics quite a bit. i clean my ety's after working out (i use tri flang).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back