Tom's Hardware reviews Dell DJ
Jan 30, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Not exactly what I'd call a positive review. I wonder how he would have fared with an ipod on a Pc. It took me two different firewire cards to ge one that worked.

Now the newer PC's have usb2 built in but I wonder how many people have gotten an ipod home only to realize that they needed another cable?

I still like my ipod very much but I keep hoping the good competition will either make a worthy competitor or force Apple to keep improving the ipod.

Jan 31, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 7
I've read several other posts that requested comments on the Dell DJ, so I figured I would weigh in. I purchased my DJ20 around one month ago, so I've had plenty of time to evaluate it. I have to preface my comments by pointing out that I have not listened to or owned any other MP3 players than the DJ. I do have to my credit 28 years of headphone listening and 7 years of listening to portable setups. My reference portable system for the last 6 years has been an Optimus 3470 PCDP with a HeadRoom Supreme. Before the 3470, I owned an Optimus 3400 which I felt the 3470 compared favorably to.

Test Equipment:
Dell DJ20
HeadRoom New Total Airhead
HeadRoom Supreme
Kimber PBJ mini to RCA and mini to mini cables
AKG K271s w/Equinox Cable
Etymotic ER4s
Sennheiser HD600 w/Equinox Cable
Sennheiser HD580 w/Equinox Cable
Grado SR-125
Koss KSC-35

Test Music:
Sara K-Various Albums
Radiohead-Hail to the Thief, OK Computer
Sigur Ros-( )
Sky Cries Mary-This Timeless Turning
Yellowjackets-Four Corners
Fourplay-Fourplay

I listened to the DJ exclusively through the aforementioned HeadRoom amps. Being a crossfeed junkie, I find headphone listening fatiguing without crossfeed. I did try the ER4s directly out of the DJ with rather disappointing results. The DJ is capable of driving the Grados to satisfying volumes.

With the HeadRoom amps, I was shocked at the quality of reproduction possible using the MP3 format with test tracks ripped at 320 kbps. The soundstage provided by the DJ is very 3 dimensional and wide. Some of the tracks on Sara K’s albums sounded like they were recorded in the round. The soundstage completely surrounded my head. The bass extension was very surprising. Using the DJ with Total Airhead and K271’s, the second track from the Sigur Ros ( ) album almost rattles your brain with the low bass. The midrange was sweet and realistic. Sara K’s vocals sounded natural. Any reverberation in the studio was immediately evident.

Tom in his review refers to us a being the “test” for Dell in regard to their players. I selected the DJ based on the service I have received on my Dell PC. I assumed I would receive the same support as I have in the past from their service department. I have not had to download any “firmware” since I purchased my DJ and have only had to reset it once, (my fault). I tried calling IRiver once to ask some questions about the IHP-120, and after sitting on the phone for 20 minutes gave up. I’m sure the IPod is great, but you can get the 20GB DJ for $269 if you watch for it. Don’t take my word for it, go to HeadRoom’s site and read their recommendations on MP3 players. If I could only have one system, it would be the Dell DJ with a HeadRoom new Total Airhead and AKG K271s w/Equinox cable. Your mileage may vary. I’ve include some pictures of my portable setup. I velcroed my DJ to the HeadRoom TAH. The whole setup is about as big as (2)-packs of cigarettes. It stuffs nicely into a Samsonite camera case.

DJfront.JPG

DJRig.JPG

Jan 31, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Nice pics Large4mat! You might want to post them in the portable setup thread as well if you haven't done so already.

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 7
I was curious if since you are using the headphone out to the amp, instead of the line out which the dell dj does not have, are you satisfied with the sound?

I ask because i too have a dell dj and have been thinking of getting an amp such as the headroom TAH to run my senns 580s. Do you feel it is worth getting an amp to improve sound just the same despite having to use the headphone out.. ANy one can feel free to comment.

Feb 13, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm very satisfied with the DJ/TAH combo. However, I need crossfeed. I've been using it for the last 7-8 years. With that being said, I still feel that you need an amp to properly drive the 580's or the AKG 271's for that matter.

HeadRoom has recommendations on portable players at their site. Basically they said that they all sound similar with the Ipod sounding a little better, and the Archos sounding a little worse than the rest of the crowd. Here's the link:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...&subTopicID=28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back