Tomahawk or SuperMacro IV?
Sep 19, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 34
I had a chance to test the Hornet, Tomahawk, and Supermacro-IV side by side just a few days ago, and switched between them dozens of times. The Tomahawk is an amazing amp for the size. Ray's philosophy of reproducing stereo recordings in their full clarity and glory is truly a sonic work of art. Personally, I preferred the Supermacro for its slightly warmer sound, adjustable bass, crossfeed, etc; but having said that, I would probably pick a RSA amp first, because I'm not a fan of sinking my money into something I'd have to wait half a year for. If I had the spare cash lying around, and I already had a decent headphone amp, then I'd place an order for the Supermacro-IV.

Our hobby is all about enjoying music, and it's perfectly valid (when taken in context), to consider RSA Amps "first amps", because you really do get to enjoy them "first". It makes no sense to sink your money into a Supermacro, and spend months waiting for the very thing this hobby is about: enjoying your music. Calling a RSA amp a "first amp" is indeed a compliment.

Conclusion:
Get a Tomahawk, spend thousands of hours enjoying your music collection. If somewhere along the way you have the cash to invest, order a Xin, sit back, and enjoy your music some more until the Xin arrives.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #32 of 34
cyanbomb: you hit exactly the correct point: many of us have one or more amps PLUS a Xin amp, or a Xin amp on order. therefore, Xin's is not our sole amp, but one of several. Therefore, many of us don't mind the wait; esp. since most of us use a credit card which is not charged until the amp is shipped

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 34
I've got four amps planning number five and no plans of getting rid of any of them. If I ordered a Xin it would not hurt my feelings to wait.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #34 of 34
exactly what i did...

ordered a super micro three weeks ago...

ordered my Hornet today. in stock, i'll have it before the weekend. Burnt in by next thursday. Best sound quality that fits in a gigabag with great service and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back