Tomahawk Burn In - Question
May 24, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Bolardito

500+ Head-Fier
I just received my new Tomahawk which I will use with my E500, a Creative Zen Vision as a source and Qables Zen Vison LOD.

I want to burn the Tomahawk very quickly since I've heard it requires 600+ hours of burn in to achieve optimal SQ. The question is if I use an old MP3 Player (Sony HD-NW5) with old fontopia earphones using the headphone cable instead of a Line Out would it work or I need to have a Line Out for the Sony source to fully burn the Tomahawk?

Thanks for your help

May 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 31
Just listen to it for 600 hours
wink.gif

But if you must do so, just make sure to keep the volume on the low side.

May 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 31
It's said the Tomahawk needs 1,000 hours before it reaches its full potential.

May 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 31
For me this burn in thing for a simple solid state amp does not make any sense to me. Please someone explain to me what is suppose to happen to the electronics after 600hrs? Other than rumours, is there any documentation written about this? I'm open to trying to understand this. I've never heard of solid state components changing parameters after a certain time unless they were about to fail!

May 24, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I don't need to have a line out? Can I burn it in using the Headphone cable ?

For burn-in, it doesn't really matter -- it only matters if you want to listen to it while burning-in, and want the best possible SQ.
Then a line-out into headphone amp *usually* works better than right out of headphone jack.
For burn-in, I use a CD that has all ranges of bass, highs, and drums -- this works and loosens the cans in all frequency ranges -- highs, lows, and drum-thumps. I use Canned Heat 2000 CD. Been working good on all my cans for burn-in. This also burns-in all my amps -- the poor Panasonic portabile has not been turned off in many months -- and still sounds great.

May 25, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Tomahawk is a sweet little amp.

X 2... Just got the red tomahawk THIS MORNING!!!

May 25, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X 2... Just got the red tomahawk THIS MORNING!!!

Have fun....!

May 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 31
I am on hour 35 (approx) with the Toma I got Wed. Just hooked it up to my iMod (which could use a bit more b/i time anyway), ALO horse shoe, and E4c. Which is the exact config that I will use it. Call me crazy but I like to burn it in with what it will be spending the most time with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back