Tom Waits tour.
Jun 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robbmcaulay

Head-Fier
So I have a ticket to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh next month... just wondering if any head-fiers had seen him in the US.

What did you think? I really don't know what to expect... but the setlists have been amazing!

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbmcaulay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have a ticket to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh next month... just wondering if any head-fiers had seen him in the US.

What did you think? I really don't know what to expect... but the setlists have been amazing!

I would love to see Tom Waits. Is he going to tour the U.S. soon? Is there someplace to find a tour schedule?

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm seeing him this Wednesday, right here in my hometown. I just can't believe that an artist of his stature who tours so rarely devoted almost his entire US tour to the South. I'm just tickled to death is what I am.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, Its tough being a Tom Waits fan in the north east. I debated flying out for one of the shows, but couldnt find anyone to come along. Hes not really that big with the high school crowd. Maybe i can coax him up to Union next year (last years concert was 'gym class heroes').

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to see Tom Waits. Is he going to tour the U.S. soon? Is there someplace to find a tour schedule?

As a matter of fact:

YouTube - Tom Waits Press Conference

:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York
Its tough being a Tom Waits fan in the north east.

Try being a Waits fan on the West Coast...he lives less than 100 miles from my house, yet he almost never plays around here.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Saw him at his opening show in Phoenix. He was great and had this amazing amount of junk/instruments with him on the stage.

Did virtually none of his earliest stuff. Did lost of stuff from Frank's wild years onwards. One of the encores was innocent when you dream.

That being said, if you come in as a fan you will be a bigger one when you leave. If you are borderline or dont know him, you are more likely to come away saying What?

At last based on the group I went with.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 14
rob [right?],
you are in for a real treat, both sonically and visually. I am jealous. I've seen 2 shows from this tour, in Columbus and Knoxville, drove 1,300 miles total. Worth every mile, and every penny. Regret that I didn't get tickets for another 2-3, the set varies ~25% each day. 62 songs total performed so far, 24-26 each concert. My expectations were quite high, and they were surpassed. I was a casual fan, now I am a "real" fan, will be buying all CDs (slowly
wink.gif
). Used to think I mostly liked his 70s stuff, but it was the loud, stomping numbers that impressed me the most: Hoist That Rag, Eyeball Kid, Lucinda... Electrifying, shamanic experience.

The shows here run for ~2h 15'. The sound in Columbus Theatre (an opera house) was fantastic, in Knoxville a bit more raw, but still great. This was our first TW shows and I can only compare to videoclips from 2006, but it appears the band is much, much better this time around. There are terrific players on winds and keyboards, you'll see & hear what I mean, and guitar and upright bass are fine, too. I believe they all tour with Tom for the 1st time, and you can see they get tense often, but the result is great - synergy, organic sound, four bar trades... One of Tom's sons is on drums, the other one, 14-15 y.o., appears "assisting clarinet" and on congas.

Don't spoil your surprise from the opener - don't look at the YouTube clips!.. You can do it
smily_headphones1.gif

Bring binoculars.

Well, I guess y'all can see I've become a fan
smily_headphones1.gif
Ask me questions, I'll love to talk about this. My wife & son are tired of listening to quotes from TW interviews...

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy.

Thanks! Downloading as I type this.

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 14
I downloaded it too, today... Wow, so clear... A bit too sterile, though
smily_headphones1.gif
There are bootlegs circulating from other shows, and there sound is dirtier but/and richer, since they were recorded from the audience...
Well, check the concert videos on YouTube, that's the sound I am talking about.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 14
i saw him back in '98 on the Mule Variations tour, at the Beacon Theater. what a brilliant performer he is, on top of being the best living American songwriter.

Keith Richards was sitting right behind me, and when Elvis Costello walked in to take his seat about 5 minutes before it started, the entire house gave him a standing ovation... just for coming to see the show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back