Tom Waits. It doesn't get any better.
Mar 15, 2005 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jbunniii

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe it was a weird day at work today (intense debugging of a phase-lock loop), but I couldn't stop listening to Tom Waits' "Hoist that Rag," over and over and over. It may be the best 4 minutes and 20 seconds to date in the what is already perhaps the finest discography in the history of recorded sound.

Sounds even better now that I'm safe at home with my PS-1's, driven by my spiffy new Gilmore Lite, which just arrived today - bought as a dedicated headphone amp to go with my E-Mu 1212m sound card.

OK, moving on to "Swordfishtrombones" now...

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Get some of that old Asylum recordings going.

I am listening to "Used Songs" right now, a great sampling of the rougher Tom Waits.

After that I have "Alice" lined up.

Completely off thread, but I picked up the DVD's Primus - Hallucio-Genetic, and Diana Krall - Montreal Jazz Fest. Both are great in their own right.

Never Drink and post BTW hehe.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 5
is my personal favorite. can't go wrong with any of his 80s releases on Island Records. i personally prefer it over the asylum catalog (which is still mighty fine).

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 5
This thread title couldn't have been chosen any better.
tongue.gif

Real Gone has some wondeful songs in it. A couple picks -- Hoist That Rag; Sins of My Father; How's It Gonna End; Dead and Lovely; Trampled Rose; Green Grass; Day After Tomorrow. Love.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
Maybe it was a weird day at work today (intense debugging of a phase-lock loop), but I couldn't stop listening to Tom Waits' "Hoist that Rag," over and over and over. It may be the best 4 minutes and 20 seconds to date in the what is already perhaps the finest discography in the history of recorded sound.

Yeah!
cool.gif
Love the sound of the... guitar? Yes, quite sure it's a guitar
icon10.gif
Excellent.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back