Tom Waits--Franks Wild Years
Jul 26, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
How did I make it this long in life without really listening to this guy? Thanks to this board (and Blessingx letting me listen to a nice compilation) I bought Franks Wild Years, and all I can say it WOW. Great songs, wildly original presentation without being weird for weird's sake. I can't stop listening to this CD. I guess Swordfishtrombones is next?

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I REAAALLLY like the older Tom Waits stuff. "The Heart of Saturday Night" and "Closing Time" are amazing albums. Must-buys for anyone who likes loungy type music.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 5
longtime and large waits fan here. if you love FWY, definitely get the other two albums of his island trilogy: Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones. also, check out the live album Big Time.

his Asylum material has a decidedly different feel... i'd personally recommend Small Change and then the live Nighthawks at the Diner for the best starting points to his early career.

Closing Time is a great album, too... but stylewise it sort of stands alone... good, straightforward ballady songwriting with overtones of country and jazz.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 5
If you love Franks Wild Years, get Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs. May as well buy those together since there's no chance you'd buy one and then not want the other.

Nighthawks At The Diner isn't really a live album. They set up a fake bar setting in the studio and filled it with invited guests so it sounded like he was playing live, but it sounds much better than most live albums. Also, the material is all unique to that album. He doesn't "play the hits" or anything.

Nighthawks is a must. Beyond that, if you're a fan of Franks I'd say do not start with Closing Time because it's so different. Small Change is a good recommendation, but I think you'd be even better off with Blue Valentine or Foreign Affairs.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I am a huge Tom Waits fan. I like his newest stuff best but I still enjoy his old stuff too. I would recommend Sword fish trombones because it is a good mid point for his music. Bone Machine is good too but it is starting to get into his “newer” sound. Actually just buy all of them! Does anyone know if he has a new album coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back