"Tolerance" to hi-fidelity sound?
Dec 31, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ty123

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't see any discussion section so I figured here is the most appropriate. Has anyone else noticed developing a tolerance (for lack of a better word) to hi-fi music/sound. Sort of like how when you walk in to a great smelling room and it slowly begins to smell normal as you adjust. The first few weeks I had my first pair of fancy headphones, every time I listened I was like "holy crap, these are amazing!" Now after having them for a few years they just sound "normal" I guess, nothing special like at first. Maybe the first few minutes I listen I'm impressed but by 30 mins in I'm just like meh, not extremely impressed. Anyone else experience this? Or do you guys just keep upgrading/ changing gear

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 6
[...]The first few weeks I had my first pair of fancy headphones, every time I listened I was like "holy crap, these are amazing!" Now after having them for a few years they just sound "normal" I guess, nothing special like at first. Maybe the first few minutes I listen I'm impressed but by 30 mins in I'm just like meh, not extremely impressed. Anyone else experience this? Or do you guys just keep upgrading/ changing gear

I understand exactly what you mean. There was a time when I'd upgrade my gear almost solely due to the concept, itself. Then, after a time spent in the industry and having heard a truly enormous number of High-End components in my system, I reached a point where I was very happy with what I had. No real desire to upgrade. To answer your question, instead of buying gear, when I get a little bored I buy new music. I'm 51 and I've been record shopping weekly (sometimes more often) since I was 13. That's really my main interest; the gear is a means to an end. Good luck.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 6
This is exactly why many people believe that "burn-in" is more of a psychoacoustic effect than a mechanical or electrical effect. Your brain is an amazing device that quickly adjusts itself to input. Your brain has a knowledge of what it thinks a song should sound like, and it can adjust your perception in subtle ways so that the "new & amazing" can become the new "norm". The audio industry loves this!! :p

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 6
LOL! I used a "smell in the room" example in a discussion with my buddy today! Good stuff! :D

Shaffer makes a great point. Gear will wow some and gear might not surprise some at all. What it's all about is what the higher end gear is capable of to produce your music. Once you've reached a satisfying quality in gear, then you must look for music. Random sounds through new expensive headphones won't wow anymore. You've reached your satisfied level and being humans, our brains and ears are only capable of so much as far as audio goes, but hearing new music at their very best will always amaze you. It makes you appreciate more music much easier as well. I used to only sort of appreciate pink Floyd not to long ago, but with my near endgame setups, I've come to really appreciate how they record music and how each song has its even easier to pick out differences and it makes each song you listen to have much more value to them. Much easier and more fun to appreciate. It adds new characteristics and dimensions to music that many won't learn to deeply appreciate. I looked too hard for just wow factors in cans. It's really about appreciating the musics' aspects and what it takes to make it such good music and the headphones can only produce that to the recordings quality and won't really keep you blown away but instead make the music more shocking and enjoyable. Much of endgame setup is about buying high quality music or vinyl and just appreciating music for what it is and what goes into it. Headphones can only get so good. Music will always change, improve, and leave new impressions on you.

Aspects of music and music itself over gear are what will keep you satisfied! An important thought many of us gear tend to forget and others to learn. Sorry if I branched off into info that wasn't needed or even laying this book of a reply on this thread. Just a thought I wanted to share.

Enjoy buddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back