Tokyo Headphone festival 2023 Summer report
Jul 17, 2023 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
The annual headphone event "Headphone Festival Mini Summer" was held on July 15. "Mini" meant that this event was former called as Pota-ken(smaller version of Headphone Festival). This time, the event was held for the first time at the Station Conference Tokyo, adjacent to Tokyo Station(literary the center of Tokyo) , instead of the Nakano Sun-plaza.

To reach Station Conference Tokyo, first get off JR train at Yaesu-Kita-guch(north side of Yaesu exit), Then find Nihonbashi-guchi of Tokyo station(Nihonbashi-exit). The tall building next to the exit is the building contains Station Conference Tokyo. Go up to the Station Conference Tokyo floors.
IMG_7629.JPG

First, the "X8000" high-end headphones, which were exhibited at the Munich High-End Show were on display in the final booth. The number 8000 in the final series stands for innovation, and the X8000 is said to offer users a new experience in terms of light weight, high sound quality, and wearing comfort through the introduction of new materials and new manufacturing methods. In fact, the special titanium housing, pure CFC foam cables, and 3D printed open earpads are all innovative. Although we were not able to listen to a sample, it is said that the sound will be like popping out of space.
1 final.jpg

The Time Lord booth featured headphones from Seaside, a new brand from studio equipment manufacturer Lake People. These are planar headphones and are said to be the work of Michael Zirkel, former CEO of Ultrazone. The price is undecided, but it will be a little over 300,000 yen and will be available in September or later.
The sound is well-defined and studio-like. It also seems to excel in the reproduction of detailed sounds.
2 Seaside.jpg

The FitEar booth exhibited the TG224s, a universal version of the FitEar 224 custom earphones. The price is undecided, but is likely to be around 100,000 yen. The unit consists of two BA drivers, but one driver is used in a full-range configuration combined with a tweeter. The sound is crisp and good PRAT, the bass is punchy.
3 fitear.jpg

Layfic Tone, a new brand, exhibited "The Industrial Wired," a dynamic, wired headphone. The company is based in an embedded electronics circuit company, and has an unusual history of starting audio products.
The outlook is unique, and the sound is also very unique: when listening to EDM, the bass sounded like a rumbling bass, and when listening to a jazz trio, the sound was neat and clean. Measured characteristics were said to be flat.
The price is undecided, but it is expected to exceed 100,000 yen, and it will be ready for release in early 2024.
4 layfic.jpg

At the Emirai booth, there was an exhibit of Ferrum Audio audio based systems.
The system consisted of Ferrum Audio's new WANDLA DAC, OOR headphone amplifier, and HYPOS general-purpose power supply unit, with FiiO's R7 as the source. The headphones were FiiO "FT3".
The sound is surprisingly transparent and clear upon listening. The Signalyst digital filter, a feature of the WANDLA, was highly effective and impressive, producing a deeper and richer sound than the built-in digital filter of the ESS. It may be said that the sound quality is exactly as if it has a built-in HQ Player.
8 エミライ.jpg

At Bliss Audio booth, the new silver wire "SHIROGANE" was on display. The price is expensive at 300,000 yen, but this is due to the fact that the company prioritized sound quality by focusing on the material of pure silver, thickness, weight, and other physical aspects. As a result, they were able to eliminate the harshness of the sound and other negative aspects of silver wire, while at the same time achieving a rich volume of information. I actually tried listening to them with my ES80 after replacing the cable, and the sound was wonderful, with a high sense of transparency and depth in the low frequency range. Indeed, there was almost no harshness.
12ブリスケーブル.jpg

At the Pixel booth, they showed new high-end "Typ821" model from the MADOO brand. MADOO has been using planar drivers in a hybrid format, but the Typ821 uses a unique push-pull opposed planar driver system. The sound is characterized by an open sound with a unique depth. This is also a very unique sound that is difficult to describe.
8 MADOO Typ821.jpg

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 18
Thank you Sasaki San. I'm personally very much looking forward to Type821 as I have been waiting for an ortho IEM for a long time. I have one budget for one IEM this year before I leave the hobby for a while. Madoo priced type821 is also reseaonable, assuming they got the tunning right.

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 18
Thank you for this report, not easy to get information from the fests in Japan in English often!

Did Final make any comments on whether the X8000 was anywhere near its final form, or is this a very prototype design?

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 18
Thank you Sasaki San. I'm personally very much looking forward to Type821 as I have been waiting for an ortho IEM for a long time. I have one budget for one IEM this year before I leave the hobby for a while. Madoo priced type821 is also reseaonable, assuming they got the tunning right.
I thought the Madoo Typ821 had a very good titanium housing and sound quality. I also like they call the diaphragm as ”Ortho".
The price in Japan is 244,800 yen (including tax), and the release date is August 4.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 18
Thank you for this report, not easy to get information from the fests in Japan in English often!

Did Final make any comments on whether the X8000 was anywhere near its final form, or is this a very prototype design?
They have not said the X8000 is the final shape, but it may be almost this shape, as it has not changed much from the High-End show.
They said they hope to release it out by the end of this year.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 18
They have not said the X8000 is the final shape, but it may be almost this shape, as it has not changed much from the High-End show.
They said they hope to release it out by the end of this year.
I really like where Final new CEO is heading the brand towards. The custom ZE8000 is something I hope to buy one day. The DSP ability of ZE8000 is best in glass, right up next to B&O which has been doing this far longer than Final!

@Sasaki did you by any chance hear the Nuarl Overture?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 18
One of the three best products I tried on my trip is the new Madoo typ 821. It simply the closest thing to the concept of "wire with gain" philosophy where is has no particular tonality of its own and it relies on the recording and source to sound good (or bad).

Worth the asking price.IMG-20230825-WA0015.jpeg

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 18
One of the three best products I tried on my trip is the new Madoo typ 821. It simply the closest thing to the concept of "wire with gain" philosophy where is has no particular tonality of its own and it relies on the recording and source to sound good (or bad).

Have you tried Acoustune HS 2000 MK2? I am eager to know a bit about it

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 18

Can you please elaborate a bit more on the sound signature of type 821?

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 18
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 18
The image used for this Headphone Festival is the new high-end audio system "鳴神(NARUKAMI)," focused on Audio-Technica's new headphone amplifier/preamplifier.

The details of Narukami is still not opened, but Narukami means "thunder god". From that I would guess that it is probably a powerful amplifier.
IMG_2680.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back