Tokyo Headphone festival 2022 mini report, April 29
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #16 of 22
Anyone going to the autumn festival this year?

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 22
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 22
YAMAHA to release new Orthodynamic (planar) headphones and they will bring it to the Fujiya headphones festival.

https://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/spv/2209/09/news152.html
So fascinating to see things come full circle. Tangentially, I still remember learning about the YH-5M when you posted about it on your blog all those years ago. Then seeing the birth of modern planar IEMs with the Audeze iSine in 2016. Wonder if Yamaha has plans to expand their ortho portfolio beyond headphones to include earphones this time around too, IEMs are much more popular in Asia no? Hope you and anyone else attending the festival have a good time :beerchug:

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #21 of 22
Any news from the show?

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 22
A quick impression from the autumn show.
This is the YAMAHA 5000SE.
YAMAHA-2.JPG

The development of the new YAMAHA 5000SE began around 2016 to following thier tradition of HP-1 or the likes.
In terms of following tradition, for example, the size adjuster uses the same slider design as the HP-1. In terms of modern arrangements, the headphones have been designed to be very light at 320g with a focus on wearing comfort, and the weak point of planar magnetic field headphones, the effeciency, has been improved to make them easier to sound.
The newly designed diaphragm has a circular design. This is said to be close to the ideal planar magnetic field type diaphragm, as there is no fixed point in the center, which normally exists. The driver diameter is 50mm and the impedance is 32Ω (150Ω for HP-1).
I actually tried it. The sound is remarkably good that delivers highly resolving, good PRaT and sharpness. I felt it is very much like Planar-ish sounding. The sound is not too bass-heavy, but it is punchy and expansive, making rock and pop music enjoyable to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back