Tokyo - Fall 2010 headphone festival
Oct 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

arnaud

Stax and Sushi

I went today to the fall headphone festival organized by Fujiya Avic in Tokyo. I only wanted to check out Stax's new prototype and Ultrasone's Edition 10.

First, I have to say I was impressed by the large number of vendors, a LOT of iem makers, Japan / Tokyo is obviously a lucrative market with everybody commuting daily on the train.

Note that I don't have much listening impressions because one literally only has seconds to sample the gear until the seat must be vacated for somebody else… Yet, one can at least get a very rough idea of the tonality of a headphone, probably not much more so notes below are only worth so much, you are warned …

I will start with Ultrasone Edition 10:

The same people from Ultrasone who did the launch in Japan were present today. I am impressed by their dedication to the Japan market. From a brief chat together, it looks like this is a very important market for them. They're very friendly people, I got a picture taken listening to the Edition 10, I guess the bewildered look of my baby while I was wearing the headphone was not common sight
wink.gif

I thought it would be more of a departure from the house sound but clearly you know you're listening to an Ultrasone can the second you start playing music. The s-logic does definitely sound nothing like other headphones.

Another thing I noticed is that the Edition 10 are very picky about the position of the earcup, just like other Edition headphones. For instance, I was at first not wowed by the tightness of the bass / smoothness of the highs. But, once I reseated the headphones slightly, the bass very much tightened up (or maybe mid bass hump disappeared) and the headphone lost the bit of shrillness it had at first. 

The amplifier was Chord's chordate and 9AM was louder than I can tolerate so either they're very sensitive cans or the amplifier has loads of gain. Source was from Chord too, I am not familiar with this gear so not sure how well a pairing it makes with the Edition 10.

Overall, my quick impression of the headphone is that of a more tonally accurate version of Edition 9 without feeling of listening to a closed headphone (of course…). They are definitely more neutral sounding than Edition 9. Did not have time to make any judgement on the soundstage though. Certainly did not feel "narrow" like the Edition 9. Mind you, I really like the Edition 9 presentation though. To me, a narrow but deep / layered soundstage is much more natural than overly wide one.

For me, on such short listen, I will say that I am not ready to jump for the Edition 10. Maybe I would if I was in the mind of upgrading my Edition 9. But, I have not listened to my Edition 9 for a while and, as you may know, it does take some time to get used to s-logic (and / or Ultrasone's sound signature). So, coming from Stax listening, I did not have sufficient time with the Edition 10 to get accustomed to its sound. As such, I think such short listening auditions are rather a disservice for Ultrasone because their headphones take time getting used to.

To conclude, I think these Edition 10 again are not going to be for everybody. In particular, those who have not been wowed by s-logic sound before are probably not going to change their mind with Edition 10. I can rather imagine current owners upgrading their collection… So, current fans, don't wait until this limited edition sells over!

Next, Stax's new flagship prototype:

First, I apologize for the poor quality pictures, I only had my iPhone as it's a bit difficult to use an SLR while holding a 9 month old baby in your arms… It looks like there were several people with nice photo gear covering the event so we'll surely see some nicer pics in a short while.

Before listening to the new prototype, I had a brief chat with the Stax representative. Unfortunately I do not know who he is, but a very nice senior person. I speak a little Japanese but frankly not well. So please forgive if some of the following is inaccurate due to some loss in translation / foolish interpretation
wink.gif

First, I asked when it was going to be out: first half of 2011 is the plan. Next, the price: 300k to 500kJPY. Third, a matching amplifier: yes likely, but not in the immediate future. So probably we can't expect an amp to be released at the same time as the new headphone. He did mention though that the current top of the line amplifiers from Stax can "drive this headphone without any trouble". 

Next, I asked about the diaphragm: it is a new design. Something about a complicated manufacturing process because their are three layers assembled together by heating process. The thickness is higher than Omega 2 because while a light / thin diaphragm is good for transients, it is affected by "low" frequency resonances. This time around, it would appear that Stax has tried to achieve maximum stiffness (and damping, hence the multiple layers?) with the new diaphragm. Anyhow, it is a complex manufacturing process which I guess is driving the cost up.
Next, the frame: aluminum, much stiffer than Omega 2 frame. The weight is a bit affected but I did not feel the headphone was heavy at all. The frame thickness may change slightly in the final version but looks like the looks is pretty much set (I find it really beautiful, the Omega2 looks cheap in comparison, and well, it will be
wink.gif
).
Last: the name … Of course he did not say but this is a new series, beyond the Omega. The Omega 2 will remain on sale. When I asked about anniversary, he said that this is indeed a point as Stax is reaching 50 years in existence…

Now to the listening. Again, it was too brief but I could go for two rounds fortunately. I listened on the 727A, which is nice because it's also my own amp. The source was a Marantz SA-15 or something like that, not very high end. 
Well, what jumped at me is that the tonal balance is quite different from the Omega 2, it seems definitely more tonally neutral while the Omega 2 has a warmer tonality on this amp. 
The highs of the prototype are very present but absolutely not shrill or detached from the rest. Next, the bass is absolutely there but tight. In comparison the Omega 2 does feel like the bass could be firmer / more controlled (again on the 727A). 
It does seem like the headphones are quicker sounding than the Omega 2, and dynamics are improved. Too short listening to say for sure though, some of this might have to do with the more neutral tonal balance. 
Finally, the ease of drive: while I listen to the Omega 2 at 9-10AM at home, I was at 12-2PM with the new prototype. Mind you, the source might have an impact on this. My yamamoto D/A is a rather hot source. 

Overall, I have to say I was very impressed. It feels very much like a step in the right direction based on this short listening experience. The price is going to be steep, but it appears Stax is trying to get the top seat for best sounding headphone in production!

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 28
Thanks for the updates. Very informative.

I'm surprised the new STAX have a different sound signature than the O2 (mk1 or mk2?)

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 28
Thanks for the impressions! I can't wait until these start showing up at meets.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 28
Nice impression thanks for sharing them with us.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 28
Two great new super flagships is always good news. I translated the Yen figure to US dollars and it comes out to $3700 to $6200! 
basshead.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 28
Thanks for sharing your impressions Arnaud!  Thats great news that they are releasing another amp but from your conversations, it seems like it will be a ways after the new STAX TOTL.  

Any impressions of the goodies your heard?  

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 28
Thank you all for the feedback! The least I could do is to write something about this show because I realize impressions may be scarce as few of us live in Japan / close enough to Tokyo.

Quote:
Thanks for the updates. Very informative.

I'm surprised the new STAX have a different sound signature than the O2 (mk1 or mk2?)

I think I should water it down a little bit. This is not a departure sound for Stax. You clearly know you're listening to Stax gear, or at least electrostatic gear with the speed and finesse for example. So I guess, sound "signature" is not so different. In relative sense, the new prototype sounds closer to the Omega 2 (mk 2 BTW) than, say, a well driven HD800 as far as headstage, dynamics, speed and such.

However, I noticed right away that the tonal balance of the new headphone is, relatively speaking again (I can't say in absolute terms), more neutrally balanced than the Omega 2 (more like the HD800 as a matter of fact). The good news is that it is does not feel at all like the usual high-end trick where high treble is boosted to artificially enhance detail, soundstaging, prat and such. To me, it sounds like a "tighter" sound than the Omega 2 mkII, without any woobly bass (the Omega 2 may sound a bit like this with 727A and / or poor fit) and very snappy response.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your impressions Arnaud!  Thats great news that they are releasing another amp but from your conversations, it seems like it will be a ways after the new STAX TOTL.  

Any impressions of the goodies your heard?  

Optimistically, if the new headphone is released in commemoration of the 50 year anniversary, we could imagine a matching amplifier by Christmas of the same year with also the anniversary mention. Practically however, I can't imagine how they could have sufficient resources to handle two major redesigns on both the transducer and amplifier side during the same fiscal year. I guess it all depends what is their intent with the new amplifier, i.e. how much of a departure it will be from the current designs.

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 28
Hm, the main thing that distinguished the O2 from something like an HE60/HE90 was the drastically different sound (especially bass response).           From your short listening, it sounds like Stax is trying to move more toward the sennheiser electrostatic house sound.  Might as well, since sennheiser no longer makes electrostatics.  If they want to charge more than 2000$US, I do not see this being a big seller in the US.

I have to say though, that the O2 is already too heavy for me.  If this new stax is even heavier, that's not cool.

I am also going to disagree with your comment.  The O2 are not what I would call cheap looking, not even close.  (old looking, yes, but not cheap).

Interesting news, but I will remain skeptical until I see one.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 28
A skeptical attitude is reasonable considering the price tag. You have plenty of time to change your mind anyway
wink.gif

For the "cheap" looking comment, again it is all relative! I would not have said such thing without seeing the prototype from my own eyes. There's really no comparison with both side by side, sorry...

Quote:
Hm, the main thing that distinguished the O2 from something like an HE60/HE90 was the drastically different sound (especially bass response).           From your short listening, it sounds like Stax is trying to move more toward the sennheiser electrostatic house sound.  Might as well, since sennheiser no longer makes electrostatics.  If they want to charge more than 2000$US, I do not see this being a big seller in the US.

I have to say though, that the O2 is already too heavy for me.  If this new stax is even heavier, that's not cool.

I am also going to disagree with your comment.  The O2 are not what I would call cheap looking, not even close.  (old looking, yes, but not cheap).

Interesting news, but I will remain skeptical until I see one.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 28
I am certainly excited, as I was never sold on the OII sound, and it seems what you described has addressed exactly what I didn't care for. We'll see if I might come back into the Stax fold, given my strong preference for the he60 / he90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back