Toilet tank flapper valve leaks water into bowl-Need advice on repair
Sep 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Hi Guys,

The part in question is indeed the culprit. Did the red food coloring in the water tank trick...the result being the bowl water turned red. The flapper seems to be a one piece unit riveted to a 1.25 (or so, didn't measure exactly) in diameter fill tube. The seal is gone obviously. Service manual says average life span of the part is 8 years...well it's been almost 8 years...

Can anyone suggest the procedure for replacement of this part ? I can get these parts (so I'm told) from Home Depot and cannot afford the ridiculous charges of a local plumber (50 just to walk in the door + parts and labor = a ridiculous amount of money I can't afford right now).

Both toilets are doing this (one is far worse than the other, but might as well replace faulty parts in each at the same time) and I'm rather good at DIY projects so.....

Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated !!!!

The toilets are made by American Standard, Marina model, 6 Litre per flush tank.

Best Regards,

The soon to be plumbing apprentice,

Peete.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 15
How to Repair a Toilet | DoItYourself.com

This site has nice little animations.

Look at both INSTALLING A NEW FLUSH VALVE and FIXING THE REFILL VALVE (both assemblies you can get at a big box hardware store).

You situations is a good case of you-might-as-well. Replace both while you have the tank off.

It's really easy. Make sure you have a big and little pair of channel locks.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks Sam...that's perfect !!!!

Cheers
beerchug.gif

I'll keep the forum apprised of the outcome.

Peete.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll keep the forum apprised of the outcome.

I can't contain myself. A new flapper and fill valve is going to be something special. Don't deny us before and after pics.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 15
You may be able to just replace the flapper. That is the cheaper solution. If you replace the guts of the tank with the kits available at Lowe's or Home Depot, be prepared to replace them every year or so. They suck. Toilet mechanics are apparently not a top priority with third-party vendors.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 15
a toilet thread? This place is going down the drain!!!

(sorry I could not resist)

as breakfastchief says, go to your favourite hardware store and get a "universal" flapper replacement. I was able to fix a leak in my toilet using this one from ACE

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks guys,

Looks like that platypus could use a new flapper
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS A universal flapper for the multipurpose crapper
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely there is a plumbing supply store in your area that caters to the 'trade'. They will have anything you need.

That's next on the list...there is, just have to find it in the yellow pages.

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may be able to just replace the flapper. That is the cheaper solution. If you replace the guts of the tank with the kits available at Lowe's or Home Depot, be prepared to replace them every year or so. They suck. Toilet mechanics are apparently not a top priority with third-party vendors.

I would agree with that statement. I've replaced ours at least three times in the eight years we've been in our house. It's not difficult, and the parts don't cost very much, but they just don't last. It never really occurred to me to check plumbing supply places, but next time it craps out (sorry, couldn't resist), I'll get better parts.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 15
What??? Now we are going ot have the toilet-fi section in this forum as well....
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What??? Now we are going ot have the toilet-fi section in this forum as well....
tongue.gif

You bet, I'll be wearing my 650's while pulling the tanks......bopping to "Another one bites the dust"
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Vinyl flapper eh, ...hmmmm.

Peete.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Cut the water off and take the flapper with you to Home Depot/Lowes... you'd be surprised how un-universal the "universal" flappers are. I had to go thru 3 before I finally found one that would seat well enough to keep it from leaking slightly. I was just about to put plumbers putty all over it.

Had the same issue on another toilet, but it only took 2 tries.
triportsad.gif

I'd try and get one that is as close to identical as the old one as possible.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cut the water off and take the flapper with you to Home Depot/Lowes... you'd be surprised how un-universal the "universal" flappers are. I had to go thru 3 before I finally found one that would seat well enough to keep it from leaking slightly. I was just about to put plumbers putty all over it.

Had the same issue on another toilet, but it only took 2 tries.
triportsad.gif

I'd try and get one that is as close to identical as the old one as possible.

I don't think you need to take it. Most flappers are the same, unless you have a Crane, a Toto, or a special American Standard toilet. If you have a special one, it's pretty easy to identify. Make sure you check the make on you toilet, and make sure you check the label on the flapper at the store. Most places have a good selection, even on the more unusual types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back