"Todd's flats" vs. "original" flats
Jun 30, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
In a current thread, head-fier recstar24 wrote: "... the original joe grado flat pads, vs. the ones that todd sells nowadays. The old flat pads are almost half as thick as Todd's flat pads..."

Is there really such a difference between the old "original" flats and today's "Todd flats"?

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 31
The Flat pads are the exact same. Same manufacturer, same specs, same everything. Don't know what recstar24 is talking about!

Todd

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 31
The originals are really old by now and they seem to compress, which would explain the disparity. I've used both and though the older ones were thinner, I think it was just from being used over time.

Jun 30, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
The originals are really old by now and they seem to compress, which would explain the disparity. I've used both and though the older ones were thinner, I think it was just from being used over time.

That might be it as well, I will take pictures this weekend to show you what i mean, but they are definitely thinner, but that could be just age over time like you said. Todd's flats look exactly the same as the John grado flats that he used before, I compared with a friend's old school RS-1, and they are exactly the same thickness, but the ones on the joe grado's at least are thinner in that respect, will take pictures but bln is probably right on the mark though

Jun 30, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
That might be it as well, I will take pictures this weekend to show you what i mean, but they are definitely thinner, but that could be just age over time like you said. Todd's flats look exactly the same as the John grado flats that he used before, I compared with a friend's old school RS-1, and they are exactly the same thickness, but the ones on the joe grado's at least are thinner in that respect, will take pictures but bln is probably right on the mark though

Yea, but have you seen original Flats in brand new condition?
They were used many times, or are many years old. Todd's flats are the same.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 31
everything compresses, even vwaps. JoeLongwood has an ancient pair of yellow 414s on his SR100, that are so thin by now that you could use it as tracing paper. My new 414s are fluffy fresh in comparison. Flats are a bit thicker than 414s, so I'm not surprised that the compression over time is even more noticeable. I'm sure it's the same foam, as Todd as attested to.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 31
Then how about eliminating the pads entirely? The RS-1 doesn't feel too uncomfortable when that's done. And, can't bring the drivers any closer than that. What's the point of using half measures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
with flats you are bringing the drivers closer to ur ears, if you flip the bowls your still not bringing them as close.

some grados and flats are a must.

to me the flats and the rs-1 is a must!!!!

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Then how about eliminating the pads entirely? The RS-1 doesn't feel too uncomfortable when that's done. And, can't bring the drivers any closer than that. What's the point of using half measures?

Why stop there...why not just wedge your head between a pair of speakers?
rs1smile.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

with rs-1's with flats it opens up the soundstage and makes placement of the instruments further apart.

takes out any harshness,...or atleast smooths them off

and the low end bass of course becomes more solid.

try them

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 31
I've tried both kinds of flats, and finally settled on just flipping the bowls of my RS-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
with rs-1's with flats it opens up the soundstage and makes placement of the instruments further apart.

takes out any harshness,...or atleast smooths them off

and the low end bass of course becomes more solid.

try them

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

I've tried both kinds of flats, and finally settled on just flipping the bowls of my RS-1.

Yep I am reverse bowls man as well.

Although when I need that bass lovin then it's the flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back